Neighborhood Scout Crime Map

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

JnB
New to the Neighborhood

Neighborhood Scout Crime Map

Post by JnB »

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ne/omaha/crime/

(The Lighter the color the LESS Safe, Darker the color, the MORE safe)

How accurate is this map in your view? If you point to the specific area it tells you the Cross Streets. When replying about any section, can you please name it how they titled that particular cross-street section so i know exactly which one you are referring to? I've never been to Omaha so this will help greatly.

I used the same site to look up areas in my town and i've noticed that when the area is newer that Neighborhood Scouts likes to error to safety so rates it as Light blue/Less Safe even tho it's the type of neighborhood that is incredily safe.
Now i know that "SAFE" is very subjective, but i will take the darkest blue on that map and tell you what safe means to me if i was to live in that section: 99% chance that it is safe to leave all my 1st floor windows open during the night without danger of anyone crawling in. 99% chance that all my belongings will be in the garage should i forget to close the garage door overnight. 99% chance that no one will break into my home or car at any time.  To me, that's darkest blue and safest. Since SAFe can be subjective and i'm the one who needs this info then could we please my take on it?

:;):

Thank you so much!!
Last edited by JnB on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

No different than any other crime map. Basically just relabel a median household income chart and there you have a crime map.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:No different than any other crime map. Basically just slap a crime label on a median household income chart, and there you have a crime map.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
JnB
New to the Neighborhood

Post by JnB »

jessep28 wrote:You can view specific crimes here.

http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx?ai ... 4dc4ab76eb
i've seen this map before and it's helpful for different uses. it doesn't give me the average for that area but crime for each day which would take me way long to figure out what the average is.

If anyone can take the time take a look at the Neighborhood Scout map i originally posted and tell me how acurate it is it would be most helplful, either that or post a more acurate one that has the averages that this one has. THank you
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Hmmmm ... they have Council Bluffs as one of the most dangerous cities!

Post by Guest »

Omababe wrote:Hmmmm ... they have Council Bluffs as one of the most dangerous cities!
NO-NO The darker the blue the SAFER it is, so it shows it to be very safe.
methed out marvin

Post by methed out marvin »

I believe, per capita, some flaky site considered council bluffs the 92nd most dangerous city in the US.

So take your pick, you have better odds getting shot in Omaha or better odds getting jacked on the street with a knife in CB. the choice is yours but the best choice is to give me your money right now!

As for the OP's map....I've never personally had any problems in North O or South O but have had a few out west in the 'burbs. If you're looking for trouble you can find it.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Anonymous wrote:
Omababe wrote:Hmmmm ... they have Council Bluffs as one of the most dangerous cities!
NO-NO The darker the blue the SAFER it is, so it shows it to be very safe.
I was referring to their canonical list of the most dangerous cities. Council Bluffs is right up there with some of the usual suspects.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

I'm always wary of stuff like this. I live in Dundee which is considered safe by this map. However, there are some streets I wouldn't live on. You need to see for yourself to get the feel of what you want. Before we moved here we did a house hunting trip and I was really set on Country Club. After we actually lived here a few months we ended up in Dundee south of dodge. Unless you want typical suburbs which are ubiquitous everywhere in which case, go west young man.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

To stay safe, you just have to know the areas youre in.  Most crime isnt even reported.  Also, crime can happen anywhere.  Its an obvious move for some theif from 25th & Laurel to target cars around 156th & Dodge instead of their own area for a better chance of a nicer car, possibly unlocked, or easily accessable because its parked in the street overnight.