City Council

Videos of Omaha

Post by Coyote »

A new video by Eric Anderson:

Brad
City Council

Re: Videos of Omaha

Post by Brad »

I was standing right next to him in a few of those sequences...
I was looking for you and yours in the Bridge/waterscapes scene...
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

[youtube][/youtube]

I about crapped when he did Omaha but he usually does a top 10 pros video too.
15-17, 26, 32
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

That was really poorly researched. I feel like he googled for click-bait top-10 lists with questionable research Omaha is on and made assumptions for each one.
Last edited by TitosBuritoBarn on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:42 pm That was really poorly researched. I feel like I googled for click-bait top-10 lists with questionable research Omaha is on and made assumptions for each one.
It’s mostly a BS video.. But I will say, the talk about Omaha drivers and their inability to merge, is spot on...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:11 pm
TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:42 pm That was really poorly researched. I feel like I googled for click-bait top-10 lists with questionable research Omaha is on and made assumptions for each one.
It’s mostly a BS video.. But I will say, the talk about Omaha drivers and their inability to merge, is spot on...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Terrible video.

I don't mind something that roasts Omaha (which this seems to be doing), but for it to be funny, it needs to be true. There were just too many falsehoods in this.

The biggest ones to me were:

1. Omaha is flat. What? The guy claims to have spent 5 hours in Omaha. I don't believe it, because that's more than enough time to figure out that the city is about as hilly as they come. It might sound weird, but I would actually classify Omaha as hillier than LA (where I lived for 11 years). While it's true there are mountains surrounding LA (including a small range that cuts right through the metro), the LA basin where the bulk of city development exists is pretty level. Omaha's hilliness is much more prevalent by comparison. Nobody would call LA flat, but I'm saying it right here, Omaha is characteristically way more hilly. The bluffs surrounding Omaha (especially on the Iowa side) offer some pretty rugged and picturesque views. They might not be the San Gabriels, but they're fairly noticeable from the varying vantage points around the city.

The video goes on to suggest because Omaha is flat and surrounded by nothing but farm fields (uh, no), that there are no opportunities for mountain biking or hiking. :lol: Yeah, sure.

2. Omaha has no food scene. Again -- :lol: What? TV dinners? Really. Omaha's restaurants are fantastic and are in league with cities three times its size. Just ask the New York Times food editor who recently called Omaha a farm-to-table trend setter.

3. There's nothing to do. Yeah, again. What? Being a city of 1 million, there are some obvious limitations. But I'm constantly amazed by the quantity and quality of entertainment options in our city. It was especially surprising moving back from California in 2010. I never lived in Omaha before then. I grew up in Grand Island and went to college in Lincoln, moved to LA and then to Omaha. As a kid in Grand Island in the 1990s, I remember coming to Omaha to go to Civic and a few other spots for a limited offering of concerts. Flash forward to 2010 to the present and the number of venues just blows me away. Love Stir Concert Cove, Sokol, Slowdown, Orpheum, the Holland and -- of course -- CHI. (Throw in Westfair and SumTur) You truly can't catch everything that comes through town any more. That's the mark of a city with an entertainment presence.

Then look at theater options (soon to have not one, but two Alamo Drafthouses for Chrissakes!), Film Streams etc. The zoo, The Jocelyn, The Durham, Loritzen. On and on. I'm preaching to the choir.

Would Omaha have a few more nicer entertainment options if it were twice its size? Sure. But to paint Omaha as a sleepy little hollow whose residents are on the brink of madness due to boredom is just absurd.

So, anyway, it's mostly just a harmless video meant to pad the guy's youtube bank account. I'm just glad Omaha gets so much great press in established media outlets, because reputation ultimately matters in potential economic development. Videos like this are obviously not going to have a huge impact in the long run. But, since Omaha is still trying to lift itself up onto the big boy stage, I'd rather videos like this didn't exist.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Whenever I hear someone refer to Omaha as flat, I tell them that we are too hilly for Boston. They needed a qualifier in our area, and sent pros to run our race that was originally supposed to run through the Dundee/Country club/Benson areas. These guys were like 1.5 SD off their mean times. Boston officials drove the course and quickly realized that Omaha’s original marathon course was hillier and therefore tougher than theirs. They made Omaha change the course to be down by the MO.

Bicyclists refer to Omaha as the 14th hilliest city in the US. It’s way hillier than NYC, any city in FL or Texas, and hillier than Phoenix (save for the mountains around the city.)
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Funny trivia for you... the deviation between lowest and highest elevation in the city of Omaha... is greater than that of the city of Denver.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

For everything he got wrong he couldn’t be more correct about number one.
15-17, 26, 32
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Stargazer wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:47 pm Funny trivia for you... the deviation between lowest and highest elevation in the city of Omaha... is greater than that of the city of Denver.
Another two pieces of trivia:

1. The lowest elevation in Colorado is the point where the Republican river crosses into Nebraska.

2. You actually have to decrease in elevation between the highest point in Nebraska to Denver.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MTO wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:22 pm [youtube][/youtube]

I about crapped when he did Omaha but he usually does a top 10 pros video too.
Well, like I said previously, the one glaring modicum of accuracy in this video..is Omaha drivers inability to effectively merge into traffic. And perhaps to a lesser extent, taxes.. Other than that, it’s a complete farce and trolling. This guy, it’s obvious, has spent probably zero time in the Omaha area.. Perhaps he spent a few hours at Eppley Airfield waiting for his connector flight with his laptop performing google searches of Omaha.. Yeah, that’s the basis for an authoritative narrative for reasons not to live in Omaha for sure, lol..

Grain of salt folks.. Grain of salt...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I have big vehicles and if comes to an accident I'm going to win.....I think that cuts down on merging problems somewhat.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

What got me the most is that he said Orbt is our bus system and because he likely only found its one line, decided our transit is bad. How do you get that wrong?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

It's really annoying to me when people say Omaha is flat. There are some really good views along the river in the eastern part of the city. A simple Google search will show you that the highest elevation in Douglas county is 1,358 feet while the elevation of the airport near the river is 948 feet--400 feet of topographical variance. Obviously comparing that to a mountainous region makes no sense, but it's definitely more topographically interesting than Miami or NYC. Also, the Platte River valley is absolutely stunning and often overlooked.

The troll also apparently doesn't know about Omaha's music scene which is quite impressive. There are multiple affordable shows happening every weekend.

Restaurants--Omaha still has a great restaurant scene. Blue, Gray Plume, Leo's Diner--'nuff said.

Yeah I think property taxes are too high and the weather is volatile, but the same can be said for Chicago.

One thing that I agree with is the Husker fans. It got really annoying when I'd meet new people in Omaha, and a good many would have nothing to talk about except the Husker football game, what they ate while they watched the game, what they think of the players, what they think of the coaches, that time they saw a game at Memorial Stadium, and so on. Then I'd mention a recent exhibit at the Joslyn or the Bemis, and they'd look at me like I was either an alien or an elf with magical powers.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

daveoma wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:57 am It's really annoying to me when people say Omaha is flat. There are some really good views along the river in the eastern part of the city. A simple Google search will show you that the highest elevation in Douglas county is 1,358 feet while the elevation of the airport near the river is 948 feet--400 feet of topographical variance. Obviously comparing that to a mountainous region makes no sense, but it's definitely more topographically interesting than Miami or NYC. Also, the Platte River valley is absolutely stunning and often overlooked.
That video is total exaggerated BS. Totally worthless |expletive|. He said the highest elevation is 1000'! He spent zero time looking what the real elevations are. I'm glad you looked up the real numbers. I need to look again, but is that 1358' the top of the DC landfill? It does look like a high point when you're nearby. I know some areas by the North Omaha Airport are 1320'-1330', but I'm not sure where it's 1358'.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

GetUrban wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:05 am
daveoma wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:57 am It's really annoying to me when people say Omaha is flat. There are some really good views along the river in the eastern part of the city. A simple Google search will show you that the highest elevation in Douglas county is 1,358 feet while the elevation of the airport near the river is 948 feet--400 feet of topographical variance. Obviously comparing that to a mountainous region makes no sense, but it's definitely more topographically interesting than Miami or NYC. Also, the Platte River valley is absolutely stunning and often overlooked.
That video is total exaggerated BS. Totally worthless |expletive|. He said the highest elevation is 1000'! He spent zero time looking what the real elevations are. I'm glad you looked up the real numbers. I need to look again, but is that 1358' the top of the DC landfill? It does look like a high point when you're nearby. I know some areas by the North Omaha Airport are 1320'-1330', but I'm not sure where it's 1358'.
That's a good question. I always thought the highest elevation was 156th and Maple.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=6277

This says the highest point in the county is just north of Lonergan Lake.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

iamjacobm wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:08 pm https://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=6277

This says the highest point in the county is just north of Lonergan Lake.
If you look at https://www.dogis.org/Html5Viewer/?viewer=dogis and turn-on the 1' elevation contours, it looks like the highest area of the older part of the DC lanfill gets up to 1380' just northeast of 225th & Pawnee Rd.

Maybe they'll put in a ski area there someday! ...after all of the methane gas is gone.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.