Officially moving to Omaha

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Imnewhere

Officially moving to Omaha

Post by Imnewhere »

Hi All!

I've just accepted a job that's going to bring me to Omaha from the east coast. I've been to Omaha with a quick visit for an interview and didn't get too much time to check out the area for places to live, hangout, etc. I'm in my late 20's and will know nobody in the area, so I figured I'd most likely move into a more 'hip' area with a concentrated group of people to try and make some connections. I've gone through a bunch of other "maybe moving" topics and done some of my own research to determine there are SO many apartments, it's hard to narrow it down. What I'm afraid of is ending up in a "college dorm" style apartment complex. I like to have a good time, but I don't want to be surrounded by constant parties. I would like to spend less than $1300/mo and ideally would have a two bedroom, but could deal with a more spacious 1 br. My job will be in North Omaha. I am also having trouble distinguishing between the pros and cons of Askarben, Midtown Crossing, and Old Market. I'll be moving from the suburbs and will be looking for something with a more 'urban' feel and the ability to walk to get coffee, run outside reasonably, etc. Here are some that are on the top of my list right now, and would love to know if i'm completely off base with my assessment that these places may be reasonable for the reasons I've stated above.

Pinhook, The Slate on 19th, The Wire, Spaces, The Barker, The Highline, Jones 13

Thanks so much for any help/suggestions!
Coyote
City Council

Re: Officially moving to Omaha

Post by Coyote »

Welcome to eOmahaForums NewHere! Besides being around a young demographic are and having a local coffe shop... What other things would interest you, within walking distance... Within reasonable driving... What scenes would you be looking at, what is on the top of your lists?
Imnewhere

Post by Imnewhere »

I'd be interested in being able to walk to a few restaurants, a gym or park. I'm used to driving everywhere and although I don't mind driving, I also don't want to feel that I have to get in my car to get a beverage, be able to go for a run or exercise class, grab a quick bite to eat. As far as views, I'm not particularly sure since I'm unfamiliar with the area. I don't mind looking at a city view or a park view. I suppose I know I don't want to be looking directly into another building. Looking over buildings is generally fine though. I hope I answered your question, I apologize for being vague but I really don't know the area to even be able to know what views are out there! Thanks so much for any advice!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Welcome to Omaha! You didn't say where on the East Coast you are migrating from. When you get right down to it, most cities are largely interchangeable, with the same chain stores and restaurants. Omaha does have a fair amount of local restaurants and bars, as well as locally owned retail options, to have its own vibe, however.
I'm guessing you are single, and if that's the case an apartment makes sense. I would suggest checking in the Midtown Crossing area, both in the actual MTC development as well as in the beautiful older properties nearby, many of which have been redeveloped/ reconstructed in recent years. The area is definitely on the upswing. Summer jazz concerts in Turner Park have become a major (and free) draw for thousands for about 4 months of the year.
The Old Market area has options as well, but is likely to be noisier, from vehicle traffic, bars and clubs, etc. Downtown living is still developing, and while things are definitely looking up, there are not as many dining or park options downtown.
Aksarben Village is also still developing, but has some solid credentials. More restaurants and bars are opening all of the time there. Stinson Park has quite a number of free concerts in summer. It is also close to beautiful Elmwood Park.
If you have or may end up with a dog, I would opt for MTC or Aksarben Village.
People here on this forum will be happy to answer any Omaha related questions you have!
Imnewhere

Post by Imnewhere »

Thanks NativeOmahan! I'll be heading to Omaha from the DC area, so a bit of a change. Is Old Market considered downtown, or are they two separate entities? I don't suspect I'll be getting a dog anytime soon - they cramp my traveling style. I'm also avoiding renting a home as I just sold a home and want the convenience of apartment life, but would consider it if i came across a stellar deal. I've also been hearing a lot about Benson but haven't found many rentals in the area (maybe I just don't know where to look). Thanks for your help!
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Imnewhere wrote:Thanks NativeOmahan! I'll be heading to Omaha from the DC area, so a bit of a change.  Is Old Market considered downtown, or are they two separate entities? I don't suspect I'll be getting a dog anytime soon - they cramp my traveling style. I'm also avoiding renting a home as I just sold a home and want the convenience of apartment life, but would consider it if i came across a stellar deal. I've also been hearing a lot about Benson but haven't found many rentals in the area (maybe I just don't know where to look). Thanks for your help!
Omaha native, current long-time DC area resident. I like Benson, but your apartment options are limited----it's similar to the Del Ray area of Alexandria----cool area with lots of single family homes----you'll find it to be a great place to hang out, though; living, not so much. Aksarben Village and Midtown Crossing are smaller versions of the Reston Town Center (of the 2 I'd go with Midtown Crossing). Considering your criteria, I think you'd be happiest either Downtown or in the Old Market (they're adjacent to each other). Downtown Omaha is fairly quiet, noise wise. The Old Market can be noisy if you live along the main drags (Howard St.,Jackson St.), or along the numbered streets radiating one or two blocks either side of Howard and Jackson up to about 14th St., other than that, it's relatively quiet, but still with many apartment options close to the action. One thing you'll love is Omaha's affordability----amazingly inexpensive town. Rents are about 1/2 to 1/3 what you're paying now. If you're inclined, Omaha has a remarkably vibrant arts, foodie and music scene, which surprises a lot of newcomers. Good luck with your search.
Jeff
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jeff »

Imnewhere wrote:Thanks NativeOmahan! I'll be heading to Omaha from the DC area, so a bit of a change.  Is Old Market considered downtown, or are they two separate entities? I don't suspect I'll be getting a dog anytime soon - they cramp my traveling style. I'm also avoiding renting a home as I just sold a home and want the convenience of apartment life, but would consider it if i came across a stellar deal. I've also been hearing a lot about Benson but haven't found many rentals in the area (maybe I just don't know where to look). Thanks for your help!
The Old Market is considered downtown. I'd definitely take a look there, if I were you. Also look into the Midtown Crossing area - about a mile west of the Old Market.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

You mentioned Pinhook... Aksarben Village is a 'neo urban' area, but it is really coming up fast, might be a nice transition from your suburban setting.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

There's also a quickly-growing selection of new and renovated apartments in the neighborhoods around Midtown Crossing, particularly south of there. My wife and I lived in one at 31st and Jackson before we bought a house nearby. We walked to Midtown Crossing to go out to eat, bars, movies, etc. The area's also really close to downtown, and a convenient hop onto the interstate if you need to.

It's a diverse area that's undergoing a big transition, so apartments range from high-end new builds and renovations, down to run-down old places that are still there. If you're looking for a new or renovated place, Urban Village and Harvest Development are a couple developers that have quite a few properties now, but there are a growing number of other landlords rehabbing or building new construction too.