Moving to Omaha from Delaware

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

megc19958

Moving to Omaha from Delaware

Post by megc19958 »

Hello everyone! I am totally new to this site so bear with me if these aren't the most novel questions... I am moving from the east coast to Omaha for grad school this summer.

I hear that it doesn't snow "a lot" in Omaha but I'm not sure what to make of that. Is it worth investing in snow boots? How about rain? Anything drastic weather-wise? Here, everything gets shut down for 3 inches of snow. Is the humidity terrible?

Is Omaha a walk-able city? Meaning, in most places, is it possible to get from point A to point B without driving? Not everywhere in the city, of course, but things like grocery stores and restaurants. I'll be coming straight from a college campus (where I can walk everywhere in fifteen minutes or less) to living near UNMC/eastern part of the city, so I'm hoping this is true.

How popular is public transportation? Do a lot of people use it, or is it more of a visitor thing?

How's the crime? Do most people feel safe walking around at night?

And this one's just for me... Which NFL team do people in Omaha back? I'm an Eagles girl so this move could be a problem after all. :;):
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Moving to Omaha from Delaware

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't think we get anymore snow than the East Coast. Three inches would probably cancel schools, but wouldn't by any means shut the city down. Rain comes mostly in the spring. It will probably be hotter here in the summer and it can get humid in the dog days.

Walkable compared to your current campus Omaha is not. Now if you live in East Omaha there are amenities that are walkable if that is your style. Neighborhoods like Midtown, Benson, Dundee, South 24th, the Old Market and now Blackstone(right by UNMC) are the main "walkable" areas. I live near the Med Center and walk to bars fairly regularly and some restaurants, I don't walk for things like groceries.

Transit is just busses and I think they have pretty good coverage in East Omaha. West Omaha it is much more hit an miss. There isn't a lot of culture here of using the bus to supplement travel if you own a vehicle so I wouldn't call it popular. It isn't some foreign concept though. Bus stops at most corners, most have benches and popular ones have shelters.

There is some crime, but the vast majority is two people that know each other. I don't think we have a mugging problem by any means. I walk at night and have never felt in danger or anything like that. Park my car on the street every day and have never had an issue. Even left a couple bikes out all summer and they weren't touched.

I watch the Chiefs. The Broncos, Packers and Vikings seem to make the biggest groups too.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I agree with everything Mr Jacob said. The biggest football by far in Omaha are the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers. For professional football, I've observed most people root for Midwestern teams like the Packers, Chiefs, the Steelers, etc.
Ryman66r
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ryman66r »

I'm an Eagles fan in CA and I was wondering the same for when I move there lol. Hope your move went well and Go Eagles!