Gutter Recommendations?

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Gutter Recommendations?

Post by Brad »

I need new gutters, anyone have any recommendations?
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Gutter Recommendations?

Post by nebugeater »

http://www.lindyglass.com/index.php

These guys are in Fremont but work in the Omaha area. I know them well and went to High School with one of the owners. They do windows, siding, gutters, etc. They did the windows on the office building at the plant I was at in Omaha Brad.

If you decide to call them talk to Joel and let him know you got their name from me.

I am sure there are a lot of great places closer but this one I can vouch for.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks! We have a mess to clean up, but I will be calling them soon.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I used Berens Construction for my rain gutters and later for installing all new windows.
http://www.berensconstruction.com/
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

There has been a veteran standing on the island at the intersection of 75th & Dodge with a home made card board sign for days now. If he could fight for our freedom I'm sure he could handle something easy like putting up gutters. Sorry. :hammer:
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Found this in the barter section on Craigslist. He seems legit. May trade gutters for an old camera.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/bar/5168303434.html

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Is this an episode of Down East Dickering?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

While our minds are in the gutter, this record rainy week was heck with all of the leaves in them already. They were constantly overflowing. Anyone try using those gutter guards? What type?
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

GetUrban wrote:While our minds are in the gutter, this record rainy week was heck with all of the leaves in them already. They were constantly overflowing. Anyone try using those gutter guards? What type?
My house came with some sort of plastic gutter guard system, but it was more like a screen with large holes. I would NOT recommend it, its terrible.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I was watching Hometime on PBS Saturday a.m. and they installed some solid soft foam fillers that filled the top of whole gutter and let the water through but don't allow anything else to get into the gutter. It seems like they would eventually get covered by wet leaves or caked with dirt. Not sure how they would work with snow and ice either. But that show is based in Minneapolis, so they must have taken that into consideration.

He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

We're investing in those LeafGuard brand gutters; they are the most expensive, but they offer a lifetime guarantee that they will not clog up.

Some of the other companies don't do that, and have requirements that you hose off the gutters periodically...and on a two story house, that's not what we're looking for. They are supposed to be installed in a couple of weeks, but I doubt we'll really know how well they work for two or three years.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

My brother-in-law in Illinois has a house with the mesh screen gutter guards. They're relatively old, but in my mind, not worth the cost or effort. They're clogged up with fine bits of organic matter, and just cause the leaves and maple seeds to pile up on top. (I'll also never plant a silver maple tree near a house). Then, in areas where there's a small gap or break in the mesh, leaves and junk gets in and clogs up elsewhere, and you can't easily remove the mesh to clean it out. It's kind of the worst of both worlds.

I have 5" gutters and 3"x4" downspouts on our house, and they do a pretty good job of just letting leaves and junk flush out the downspouts. If you have the 2"x3" downspouts, they're going to clog a lot easier, and if a cheapo installer used the 2" round outlets in the gutters (I've seen this often on entry-level houses, even with rectangular downspouts), then they're pretty much guaranteed to clog.
Becknisma
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Becknisma »

This is an old threat but if someone is looking to replace their gutters, I recommend spinosolutions.com they did our exterior painting, roof and gutters very professional.
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

I have LeafGuard. My only complaint is an inside corner by the front door. It ices over in winter and drips.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

I almost bought leafGuard because I was sick of always cleaning my gutters, plus it can be dangerous, a neighbor of mine fell off his roof last year.

I decided against getting them for 2 reasons. First was the price and the other was the numerous bad reviews I found on the internet, including a class action lawsuit. I do think if they are installed correctly they probably work fairly well, but that's only if they are installed with the correct pitch, if the pitch isn't just right they can be a problem. Also I'm not sure how well they will work during a snowy winter, which we get occasionally.

After much thought I decided to just get my gutters professionally cleaned yearly. And not hassle with an expensive and unproven leaf guard system.