Area Place Names

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Area Place Names

Post by Coyote »

NW Radial HWY

I have always been interested in where names of streets, neighborhoods, rives come from, and even have an old Nebraska place name book, but it was not until recently that I noticed that there is a Radial Hills in Omaha, just north of Walnut Hill and Bemis Park, west of Orchard Hill and Prospect Hill which I would suppose is the genesis for Radial Highway. I do not know much about the topography of this area, but it sounds like it is a round radial hill...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (109.38 KiB) Viewed 5305 times
Coyote
City Council

Re: Area Place Names

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (227.05 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
SynCallio
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SynCallio »

I used to live in Radial Hills, and assumed it was named for the Northwest Radial Highway that runs alongside it. And the highway got the name because it starts at Omaha's center line (Dodge) and runs like a radius to what used to be the northwest edge of the city.

But that's just hearsay and I could be wrong.
Anything is possible. Not everything is true.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

SynCallio wrote:I used to live in Radial Hills, and assumed it was named for the Northwest Radial Highway that runs alongside it. And the highway got the name because it starts at Omaha's center line (Dodge) and runs like a radius to what used to be the northwest edge of the city.

But that's just hearsay and I could be wrong.
Radial Hwy was to connect Military and Fort to Dodge and the center of the city so traffic could move more easily NW towards Bennington, Benson, and Fremont (via Hwy 36 at Bennington.)

Benson was part of the city then, and the Radial split the east part away which did some damage to the eastern half of the area. Benson then couldn't sustain itself like Dundee or Country Club could as east Benson (Clifton HIll, Holy Name area) slid pretty quick during the green flight era of the 1960s.

The idea of NW expansion and the need for traffic on this road faded with the decline of OPS and forced Bussing in the 1970s when Millard, 66, Ralston, and Papillion boomed. Those people who wanted to go to Fremont just took L west to 275 and the Radial Hwy lost a lot of it's usefulness.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

bigredmed wrote:Radial Hwy was to connect Military and Fort to Dodge and the center of the city so traffic could move more easily NW towards Bennington, Benson, and Fremont (via Hwy 36 at Bennington.)

Benson was part of the city then, and the Radial split the east part away which did some damage to the eastern half of the area. Benson then couldn't sustain itself like Dundee or Country Club could as east Benson (Clifton HIll, Holy Name area) slid pretty quick during the green flight era of the 1960s.

The idea of NW expansion and the need for traffic on this road faded with the decline of OPS and forced Bussing in the 1970s when Millard, 66, Ralston, and Papillion boomed. Those people who wanted to go to Fremont just took L west to 275 and the Radial Hwy lost a lot of it's usefulness.
Interesting. I wonder if someday once 36 is widened and development booms around Bennington if traffic will pick back up. It's an interesting road (along with Military, Cuming and Blair High) that I've always enjoyed driving on with a lot of twists and curves.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I've always thought that NW Radial would be a great place for a streetcar. There's a lot of density plus it's a great connector to NW Omaha from midtown and downtown.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Radial Hwy was to connect Military and Fort to Dodge and the center of the city so traffic could move more easily NW towards Bennington, Benson, and Fremont (via Hwy 36 at Bennington.)

Interesting. I wonder if someday once 36 is widened and development booms around Bennington if traffic will pick back up. It's an interesting road (along with Military, Cuming and Blair High) that I've always enjoyed driving on with a lot of twists and curves.
I would hope so. They are fun to drive.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

daveoma wrote:I've always thought that NW Radial would be a great place for a streetcar. There's a lot of density plus it's a great connector to NW Omaha from midtown and downtown.
It used to run exactly there! It would still be the preferred route from Benson to Downtown. Nice wide street that could stand to have a lane donated to rail transit.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Busguy2010 wrote:
daveoma wrote:I've always thought that NW Radial would be a great place for a streetcar. There's a lot of density plus it's a great connector to NW Omaha from midtown and downtown.
It used to run exactly there! It would still be the preferred route from Benson to Downtown. Nice wide street that could stand to have a lane donated to rail transit.
Benson and Dundee were both old street car suburbs. Little villages that were enlarged by suburbanites that could leave the crowded mess of midtown and downtown and get to work on a streetcar.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

CPL INC

Yeah, so what's this? I'm pretty sure I grew up in South Omaha, right under the text CPL INC as it were. Now there's a bunch of websites that use Google maps for their data and they think CPL INC is a real neighborhood.

Yeah, it's South Omaha, anchored by downtown South Omaha, thank you very much.

CPL Inc was started by Rev Fr Paul J. Begley, Jr. According to a OWH article (archived here), "As the pastor of Assumption Catholic Church from 1978 to 1995, he launched a computer laboratory for the parish grade school and helped establish an unusual coalition of three neighborhood churches. CPL Inc. (standing for Catholic, Presbyterian and Lutheran) ran a grass-roots neighborhood rejuvenation program in south Omaha. It purchased rundown houses, refurbished them and sold them for bargain prices to poor families."

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

'It has special meaning for me': Stretch of Gertrude St. to be renamed after Cpl. Daegan Page

Gertrude St. is like many other quiet neighborhood streets in Sarpy County, it’s the street the family of marine corporal Daegan Page calls home