Omaha Area Summer Picnic Ideas

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

thenewguy
County Board

Omaha Area Summer Picnic Ideas

Post by thenewguy »

Hey everyone-- my company is looking to come up with ideas for a summer picnic, and I'd like to get the forum's input. We have come up with the usual spots (Zorinsky, fun-plex, etc), but what are some other spots/ideas? Looking at 100 to 200 people, and as with anything we have a certain budget to operate within (so we won't be renting out the ballroom at the downtown Hilton, ha). Thoughts?
Go Cubs Go
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Omaha Area Summer Picnic Ideas

Post by nebugeater »

Have you considered Mahoney State Park?

They set up and rent out their pavilion for a lot of corporate picnics. This is where the ice sheet is during the winter. No idea on cost but there is plenty to do there if the people like the outdoor stuff.

Also have attended some company picnics at the zoo. They do a nice job hosting groups this size and I don't think the cost per person was too crazy.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Found this on Mahoney

http://outdoornebraska.gov/parkpricing/

Pavilion: Rental without park food service – 1-250 people, $850; 251- 600, $1,000;
601-1,000, $1,500; 1,001+, $2,500
Their prices for the other available actives is listed there too. The nice thing here is the flexibility to do food how ever you want. Not sure if you can do that at the zoo or if the food needs to be supplied by them at one of their corporate event tents.

Zoo contact info and sales blurb

http://www.omahazoo.com/rent/picnic/
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We always rotated between Mahoney, Fun-Plex and the Omaha Zoo. The Zoo was always the best turnout, but they tore down the pavilion that we use to use so I am not sure where we would end up if we went there now.

I have also been to a couple company picnics at the Omaha Storm Chasers. They are great to work with and can plan something for about any sized group.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Went to a corporate picnic one time at the Shady Lane Ranch over in the hills south of Council Bluffs. Hayrack and horsey rides. God I hate company picnics but I been to dozens of em! Heck of a thing those company picnics. You dont want to go but you do want to go but it dont matter anyway because you better go or it wont look good! :yes:
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Went to a corporate picnic one time at the Shady Lane Ranch over in the hills south of Council Bluffs. Hayrack and horsey rides. God I hate company picnics but I been to dozens of em! Heck of a thing those company picnics. You dont want to go but you do want to go but it dont matter anyway because you better go or it wont look good! :yes:
I think of Shady Lane Ranch as more of an autumn type of place.

For summer I agree that Mahoney would be good. I've been to a few events there.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

thanks everyone!
Go Cubs Go
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm thinking back in my life at any big get-togethers. Here are the locations I can think of:

Mahoney State Park (mentioned)
Platte River State Park
Two Rivers State Park
Any of the dam sites around Omaha/Papillion (already mentioned)
Lake Manowa, Council Bluffs,
Big Lake, Council Bluffs
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

RockHarbor wrote:I'm thinking back in my life at any big get-togethers. Here are the locations I can think of:

Platte River State Park
Two Rivers State Park
Big Lake, Council Bluffs
I didn't see the following two mentioned previously.

Sokol Park: Just north of the Platte River on 75 south of Bellevue; http://www.sokolpark.net/

Sokol Camp: south of Valley on the east side of the Platte. I believe if you get on "old" Maple Rd at Waterloo it will take you west 4 or 5 miles right into the main entrance; https://www.facebook.com/sokolcamp/photos
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

guy4omaha wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I'm thinking back in my life at any big get-togethers. Here are the locations I can think of:

Platte River State Park
Two Rivers State Park
Big Lake, Council Bluffs

Sokol Park: Just north of the Platte River on 75 south of Bellevue; http://www.sokolpark.net/

Sokol Camp: south of Valley on the east side of the Platte. I believe if you get on "old" Maple Rd at Waterloo it will take you west 4 or 5 miles right into the main entrance; https://www.facebook.com/sokolcamp/photos
I know what you're talking about, I believe. I went on a "Sunday country drive" with family, and we went down thru Bellevue and we went to Plattsmouth, and we visited some big riverside park with camper hook-ups and stuff (somewhere between Bellevue & Plattsmouth, I think). It was big & expansive, and there were picnic areas, and stuff. (In fact, I thought of that very area when I posted prior, but I didn't know the name of it, and I wasn't super impressed with it, to be honest.) I think that is what park you are referring to. Also, when you drive toward the river directly out of Plattsmouth, you come to some more park-like areas along the river, if I remember right.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

RockHarbor wrote:
guy4omaha wrote:

Platte River State Park
Two Rivers State Park
Big Lake, Council Bluffs

I know what you're talking about, I believe. I went on a "Sunday country drive" with family, and we went down thru Bellevue and we went to Plattsmouth, and we visited some big riverside park with camper hook-ups and stuff (somewhere between Bellevue & Plattsmouth, I think). It was big & expansive, and there were picnic areas, and stuff. (In fact, I thought of that very area when I posted prior, but I didn't know the name of it, and I wasn't super impressed with it, to be honest.) I think that is what park you are referring to. Also, when you drive toward the river directly out of Plattsmouth, you come to some more park-like areas along the river, if I remember right.
I'm sorry I wasn't really trying to think of super impressive places. NewGuy said he was looking for ideas, not the usual spots and was working within a budget. I thought the list wasn't very long and if he was trying to look under every rock then maybe he'd appreciate two more options to evaluate. I haven't been to Sokol Park in over 40 years so I couldn't say if they're impressive or not. But according to their website they're still open.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.