Dumpster for house reno

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

sharms
New to the Neighborhood

Dumpster for house reno

Post by sharms »

I recently bought a fixer-upper and I need to rent a dumpster, unfortunately It will have to be put on the street because I don't have a driveway. I contacted the city about getting a permit and before I can do that, I have to have crazy amounts of insurance. We have home owners through Liberty Mutual and they couldn't get us what we need!! Has anyone had to do this before? I don't really know what to do!?!?

Here is what the city requires:

The applicant shall procure and maintain in effect insurance policies including the following coverages:
(1) Commercial general liability insurance, including contractual liability insurance with a limit of at
least $500,000.00 per occurrence and a least $ 1,000,000 general annual aggregate limit; and
(2) Automobile liability insurance with a limit of at least $1,000,000 for each accident
The insurance policies above shall be endorsed to name the City as an additional insured and to provide that the insurance
company give thirty days prior written notice to the City in the event of cancellation or nonrenewal of such policy. Then a
copy of the policy exclusions must be submitted with the insurance certificate. Proof of insurance shall be submitted
directly to the City for review and approval.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Re: Dumpster for house reno

Post by GetUrban »

Can they just set the dumpster in your yard, or do you have too much slope or no real good place to put it? There are a few companies that offer smaller wood-sided dumpsters, like Containers-to-go or the ones that are like a huge reinforced trash-bag. I've had dumpsters placed in the yard before. It damages the yard, but at least it can be repaired. You might want to call a home builder and ask them what they do for similar types of insurance.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
sharms
New to the Neighborhood

Post by sharms »

Thanks for the reply! There is NO place to put it in the yard. The yard is very small and broken up in elevation with landscaping. It could fit in the back yard, but there is no way to get it back there. Contractors and home builders already have the commercial insurance for their company, so they wouldn't have to do anything special for this. I guess maybe I should be looking for a contractor that would let me pay them just to use their insurance for a week!?!? Anybody have a contractor friend??

Thanks!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

sharms wrote:Thanks for the reply! There is NO place to put it in the yard. The yard is very small and broken up in elevation with landscaping. It could fit in the back yard, but there is no way to get it back there. Contractors and home builders already have the commercial insurance for their company, so they wouldn't have to do anything special for this. I guess maybe I should be looking for a contractor that would let me pay them just to use their insurance for a week!?!? Anybody have a contractor friend??

Thanks!

First I would check with your home owners / renters Insurance carrier. You might be surprised that this coverage is not that expensive for a short time. The coverage levels are not that crazy.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
sharms
New to the Neighborhood

Post by sharms »

nebugeater wrote:
sharms wrote:Thanks for the reply! There is NO place to put it in the yard. The yard is very small and broken up in elevation with landscaping. It could fit in the back yard, but there is no way to get it back there. Contractors and home builders already have the commercial insurance for their company, so they wouldn't have to do anything special for this. I guess maybe I should be looking for a contractor that would let me pay them just to use their insurance for a week!?!? Anybody have a contractor friend??

Thanks!

First I would check with your home owners / renters Insurance carrier. You might be surprised that this coverage is not that expensive for a short time. The coverage levels are not that crazy.
Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what we thought too, so we did that first... and called multiple insurance companies in the Omaha area. The city requires COMMERCIAL insurance to do this and one insurance company told us you have to be a business for 2 years before you can even get this type of insurance! The city is making it impossible for a homeowner to get a street obstruction permit! It is impossible to do without a contractor. This should not be the case!! Super frustrating!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Another thought then would be to contact someone like Papillion Sanitation who can provide the roll off. They very well be able to manage the requirements for you too at a cost. No idea if that is possible but if you have not checked that through them or someone like them it may be worth a call. It can't be the first time it comes up. If they cannot help they may know who can.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I know you have already mentioned limitations. If you are not familiar with these it may be an option. Since they sell them at the Omaha area Home Depots I will make the assumption that Wast Management will pick them up here. Not as big as a roll off but maybe you can get more than one and use an area that they will fit in. They are picked up by a boom from the truck so they are more flexible than a roll off for placement.

660 Gallon capacity
4' X 2.5' X 8' in size
See link for photos and video

http://www.homedepot.com/p/WM-Bagster-D ... /202228840
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

If you do go for the 'Bagsters', make sure that you have no powerlines or trees obstructing where you are placing them! I got one a few years ago, didn't read the directions clearly enough, and only avoided a wasted $80 or whatever it was on the pickup fees because my neighbor pointed out that the truck probably won't pick it up because of the overhead powerlines, I read their documentation and found out that yep, they required I think 25' clearance above the bag (so something like 30' total).

Ended up paying another contractor neighbor with a dump trailer to haul it off for me.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There are plenty of people on craigs list and what not that will haul trash. Just pile it up in the front yard and call one to come get it.