Headed to Omaha for job!

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

tp522chi

Headed to Omaha for job!

Post by tp522chi »

I have never been to Omaha but I am excited to be headed to Omaha for job. I love urban environment (spent 15 years in Chicago) and am wondering if it is worth it living in downtown Omaha? if yes is the answer then where? We have no kids, love arts, restaurants, parks and people. We are not suburban folks so much. Thoughts on downtown condo living in Omaha? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Brad
City Council

Re: Headed to Omaha for job!

Post by Brad »

I know several people that live downtown and love it.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

If you're looking for an urban living environment, downtown and midtown will be your primary choices. Don't rule out the surrounding neighborhoods. There are plenty of welcoming areas bordering downtown without the density/gentrification premium you'll pay.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I lived downtown and loved it. If you have some money to spend I recommend living in a new development like the Corvina or the Wire. The great things about living downtown is that bars and restaurants are very close, midtown and the Blackstone district are 5 minutes away west of downtown. Also south of downtown is South Omaha which is primarily Latino with tons of awesome restaurants. Joslyn and Kaneko art museums are downtown.

Just so you know, with a few exceptions, downtown is usually quiet in the morning on Saturday and Sunday, and in the evenings Monday through Wednesday.

Also check out Blue sushi's happy hour and reverse happy hour. It's the best happy hour I've ever experienced.
NeGoofyfoot
New to the Neighborhood

Post by NeGoofyfoot »

Benson is also a great part of town! It's a hip up and coming area with tons of great restaurants, bars and music venues! There's a new market rate apartment building going up called Benson Lights Apartments! Tons of Amenities (pool, courtyard patio, roof top deck, 24 hour gym) easy access to down town midtown and west O. Check it out www.lightsapartments.com