Which hospital should you deliver a baby at?

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

joeglow
Planning Board

Which hospital should you deliver a baby at?

Post by joeglow »

I wanted to post this here, as I feel it is pertinent information that most people in Omaha are NOT aware of. My wife is an RN at an OB/GYN clinic and her Doctors have privileges at Midlands, Lakeside, Bergan Mercy and Methodist. Their hospital of choice is Bergan Mercy and their reasons, like I said, should be known by most people. They are:

1. Neonatal intensive care unit – Midlands and Lakeside do NOT have. Thus, if your baby is born in bad shape and needs care, there will be a delay in the time for care to arrive from another hospital. Additional, the mother and baby will now be recovering in different hospitals.
2. In-house doctors – Only Bergan Mercy has. Methodist has tried to get their Doctors to staff the hospital, but apparently they want an insane amount of money to do it. Thus, if there is an emergency when you arrive or the baby is crashing, you will have to wait up to 30 minutes for the Doctor to arrive.
3. Residents – Only Bergan Mercy has. While a Doctor is preferred, a resident is better than nothing.
4. 24 hour IN HOUSE anesthesia – Only Bergan Mercy has. This is where Lakeside, Midlands and Methodist tend to mislead. They advertise that they have 24 hour anesthesia. However, they only have 24 hour ON CALL anesthesia.

Therefore, if there is an emregency that would require a crash c section at night, you may to wait up to 30 minutes for the proper personnel to arrive (time you do NOT have).

Now, I cannot comment on the other hospitals, since my wife has minimal exposure to them. I would assume UNMC and Creighton have all 4 of the aforementioned items. I have NO clue about Immanual.
Basically, my attempt is not to say one hospital is better than others. Rather, it is to try and inform people what services are available where. Unfortunately, since they are all competing businesses, you cannot always rely on them providing straight forward information.

UPDATED FOR BRANDON'S BENEFIT

I made calls to verify:

1. At Midlands, I spoke with Rachel in L&D and she said they do not have a NICU, do not have in-house Doctors, do not have 24 hour in house anesthesia and do not have residents.
2. At Lakeside, I spoke with Brandon in L&D. He said they do not have a NICU, do not have in-house Doctors, do not have 24 hour in house anesthesia and do not have residents.
3. At Methodist, I spoke with Juile in L&D and she said the DO have a NICU. She said the do not have 24 hour in house Doctors. She said they are busy, so there is usually a Doctor there delivering their patient (so someone is usually there). She said the do have one resident currently working there. She said the do NOT have 24 hour in house anesthesia.

Again, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not rely on this as a decision maker. Rather, PLEASE use this as an reminder to ask your Doctor's these questions when this moment arises.
Last edited by joeglow on Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Wow graphic! I suppose we would choose UNMC because they are badass, have all four and rite down the street. Butt thanks a lot for the advice/info, me and cornflake girl haven’t really thought to much about it so thanks for bringing it up.
15-17, 26, 32
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Text was removed after original post was updated.
Last edited by TechnicalDisaster on Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

bradley414: I will take out the personal stories (as I do not want to name the patients/Doctors involved). However, I invite you to call the hospitals and ask them what services the offer. In fact, I challenge you to prove me wrong.

I do not want people to make decisions based on this. Rather specifically ask the hospitals and your Doctors:

1. What type of anesthesia do you offer? Is it in house? If not, what hours do you usually have someone in house? How long do they have to get in after being called?

2. Do you have in-house Doctors or residents after hours? If not, what happens if while waiting for hard labor to start, my baby's heart rate crashes? How long do they have to get in?

3. Do you have a NICU? If not, what happens if the baby needs that type of care.

Again, I challenge you do prove that ANY of what I said is false.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Text was removed after Joeglow verified his information and updated his original post. --Thanks Joeglow!
Last edited by TechnicalDisaster on Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

bradley414 wrote:Lets not play the "shift the burden of proof" game. You brought the accusations and heresay against the hospitals, you have the burden of proof. It was irresponsible to make such claims and only have heresay as proof.
Please see that I have called the hospitals and spoken with people at methodist, Lakeside and Midlands. I provided you with the names that all three gave. If you want, you can call and ask for them.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Thank you for doing the research and updating your original post with factual verifiable information.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

PUT THE GROSS STUFF BACK IN :!: :twisted:
15-17, 26, 32
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

In a couple of years you will be able to deliver at the new Methodist Women's Hospital at 192nd and Dodge.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Harpoon wrote:In a couple of years you will be able to deliver at the new Methodist Women's Hospital at 192nd and Dodge.
-Again, my concern is if they will have 24 hour in house anesthesia. It does not do you much good if the baby's heart rate crashes, or the placenta tears and you have to wait up to 30 minutes to perform the crash c section. I think most parents would want to be able to have the section as soon as possible, thus ensuring their baby does not die. The best way to do this is if the anesthesiologist is in house at all times.