Moving to Omaha - how to find a Historic Home?

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

HistoricDundee
New to the Neighborhood

Moving to Omaha - how to find a Historic Home?

Post by HistoricDundee »

The DMPA received this inquiry:
My husband and I will be moving to Omaha in May 2006. We are interested in the historic homes of the Dundee area. We understand the homes in this area go fast, so we're wondering if you have any insight on how to find a home for sale - beyond using a realtor.

Thank you.
Anyone planning to sell a home or have suggestions?
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

Beings as the seller always pays the commission, and a Realtor's service is free to the buyer, I don't understand why anybody would ever look for a house without using a Realtor. Its kinda like going to court without a lawyer...and people pay an arm and a leg for that.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I don't think the question was advocating NOT using a realtor - they were looking for avenues in addition to a realtor. The inquirers may come from a market where in-demand homes often sell before ever making the MLS, and may assume the same situation applies here.

That said, I'm sure they could find a go-getter realtor that would do the door-knocking to find a house that's not yet on the market.
TheHaas
New to the Neighborhood

Post by TheHaas »

Beings as the seller always pays the commission, and a Realtor's service is free to the buyer, I don't understand why anybody would ever look for a house without using a Realtor. Its kinda like going to court without a lawyer...and people pay an arm and a leg for that.
I don't disagree, but if you are dealing with a For Sale By Owner situation, they probably won't talk to you if you want to go through a realtor -- because they don't want to pay commission. I just went through this experience myself. Yes, it was a pain, but the owners were motivated to sale.

That said, we used Gene Seamen of CBSHome to sell our home and I would suggest him to anyone buying or selling a home in the Omaha area.

http://geneseaman.cbshome.com/AgentHome/Homepage.aspx
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

My advice, don't be impatient. Before settling on a house in Omaha, we made 2 week-long house hunting trips to Omaha. The first trip I had a realtor show me houses. The second trip I just drove around every subdivision I could find in Douglas and Sarpy Cos. When I finally arrived, I took another 2 months before I found what I really wanted in the right area. Nothing worse than finding your dream house, but it happens to be in a neighborhood you hate.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

There are a surprising # of homes in Dundee that sit for a while until they sell. I don't know if they are priced too high or if there is something wrong with them? Who knows. I don't think they all necessarily sell that fast. Especially at this time of year. I can think of a couple of nice looking brick houses that are still for sale even after 6 months or so. That's not to say that some houses haven't sold right away because they have. I don't know why some sit.