An Omaha Guide??

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

TheHaas
New to the Neighborhood

An Omaha Guide??

Post by TheHaas »

So we all know that Omaha is a great place it live and visit but it's hard to sell that to others -- both in and out of our great city. And most people know that the best marketing is by "word of mouth" -- i.e. you hear from someone. And as you know (because you are particpating now :) )the Internet is becoming an interactive medium -- not only do you read something but you can participate in the discussion.

I think the best way to educate people on Omaha is online. This forum is a good start for rumors, opinions, etc, but what about a restaurant guide? A park guide? A residents "things to see and do" list? These things can be written by us -- and that seems to matter more to outsiders than the official note from the Chamber or marketing guide.

There are plenty of sites out there. One of my favorites is World66.com. When I check out Omaha[1], though, I'm disappointed that there are only 6 restaurants mentioned (two of them by me!). I think Omaha restaurant scene is one of it's strong points.

Another idea -- we have enough people here to start our own guide, not part of another site like World66. Something based on Wikipedia[2] or Open Guide[3] (made for this exact thing). I know I would like it -- and if a resident would, imagine how a visitor would feel?

If people would like to help supply the content, I would be willing to setup OpenGuide on my website and then we can start populating it with the good things this city has.

(Excuse me if this has been tried before. I'm new here, but I think that this is something that Omaha is lacking)

</soapbox>

[1] http://www.world66.com/northamerica/uni ... ska/omaha/
[2] http://www.wikipedia.org/
[3] http://openguides.org/
AlmostinOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by AlmostinOmaha »

Great idea. Being new to Omaha, I'd love a resource like that. I'm not sure how I could contribute, but let me know. I love to shop, my husband I like to eat out. We'd love to find more things to do in/around Omaha...the only thing people ever tell us to do is go the zoo, go to the Old Market...once you've done that a couple of times, it's like "been there, done that". We'd benefit greatly from a things to do section.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

There was a Metro Guide published by the World Herald a few months ago. I don't know much about it, but my parents had a copy at their house when I went home for Thanksgiving.
TheHaas
New to the Neighborhood

Post by TheHaas »

Being new to Omaha, I'd love a resource like that. I'm not sure how I could contribute, but let me know. I love to shop, my husband I like to eat out. We'd love to find more things to do in/around Omaha...the only thing people ever tell us to do is go the zoo, go to the Old Market...once you've done that a couple of times, it's like "been there, done that". We'd benefit greatly from a things to do section.
Actually, if you like to shop and eat out, then I think you are a perfect type of person to help! Just add your favorite restaurants and stores.

Back in the day, DiscoverOmaha.com had a great restaurant guide for the city, but Cox cut it out. If we build someting like that ourselves, then we don't have to worry about a third-party taking it down.
There was a Metro Guide published by the World Herald a few months ago. I don't know much about it, but my parents had a copy at their house when I went home for Thanksgiving.
I think it was in August. It was pretty good, but I'm thinking about something online, something that can be always updated and added to, and something by us -- the people who have chosen to live and play in our fair city.

Any other interest? I'm sure there are more out there . . . .
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I'll start off then. :D

Recomendation for pizza place: I had Cici's Pizza the other day and it was a suprise I had never tried it before. Located by Oakview Mall in Petsmart's parking lot. All you can eat salad, pasta, pizza, and dessert for only $3.99 and it was great food and nice dining area. If you talk to the cooks (very talkable and friendly) they will make you a pizza your way and bring you the first few slices and put the rest of it on the buffet line. When you walk in the all the cooks welcome you to Cici's and thank you when you leave it's pretty neat and very affordable. 5 out of 5 stars

If someone wants to do this, they can use my review and format it or something.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

There are a number of Cici's around the city, I believe.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I guess there are more of them. I never heard of them before they moved to Oak View. Anyway, here's their website: http://www.cicispizza.com/cicis/
AlmostinOmaha
Home Owners Association

Lo Sole Mio

Post by AlmostinOmaha »

My husband I are tough food critics. We lived in Southern California adn I grew up outside of San Francisco and lived briefly in Dallas, so we always had the opportunity to eat at some top notch restaurants. When we moved to Omaha, we weren't expecting to find too many good restaurants. We'd been told to go to Lo Sole Mio for dinner by a few people..so we took their advice and went. Can I just say yum? My husband, not a huge fan of Italian food loved it too! The service was friendly, but our server did point out (to my husband) that hats are not allowed in the dining room! (We didn't think that anyone really observed that rule anymore!). The best part of our meal was dessert...they had a traditional style tiramisu that was fantastic. In fact, I ordered a whole tray of it for Christmas dinner. Get there early...we got there just before 5 pm (with our 2 year old in tow) and it was just about full! It's not the best Italian food I've ever had, but it's pretty close. 4 out 5 stars!
Last edited by AlmostinOmaha on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostinOmaha
Home Owners Association

Vivace

Post by AlmostinOmaha »

I had been living in Omaha for 2 weeks when I stumbled upon Vivace. My mom, toddler son and I went in for a late lunch.
Service - 5 stars
Food - 5 stars
I had a pizza and it was one of the best I'd ever had. My mom had a panini and it was fantastic! I highly recommend this restaurant.
loure
New to the Neighborhood

Post by loure »

There used to be an omaha.about.com (at the about.com site) but they decided Omaha was not a "travel destination" so they ditched it.

There's http://www.InTheO.com hosted by KETV.com