Need lots of info on Omaha please!!!!

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jenwiseman
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jenwiseman »

What grade does Creighton start with? If it's just a high school, then where do most of the Prep students go to elementary and middle school?
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

jenwiseman wrote:What grade does Creighton start with? If it's just a high school, then where do most of the Prep students go to elementary and middle school?
-It is just high school. Most of the students go to the MANY Catholic grade schools around town. However, there are also many people, like myself, who went to public schools through 8th grade.

http://www.creightonprep.creighton.edu/
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

jenwiseman wrote:What grade does Creighton start with? If it's just a high school, then where do most of the Prep students go to elementary and middle school?
Pry the largest Prep feeder school is St. Margret Mary's K-8 school, however, there are tons of other schools that Prep kids come from. I think one of the nicest things about prep is that it provides as a great opportunity for students to get to know kids from all areas of town. At prep, I have become friends with kids from Bellevue, Council Bluffs, North Omaha, South Omaha, West O, Papio and even one kid from Fremont. This really helps to show how Prep is evolving into a more city wide school than a Roncali or Skutt (not that they're below Prep or anything, they are both great schools). Another thing, Prep does cost a pretty penny to go there, this year tuition is about $7,000. The good thing is anyone is eligible for financial aid. I think I remember hearing that each year up to 40% of the prep student body recieved some type of financial aid. So this really shows how diverse the Prep community is becomming.

Note: Sorry if I sound like a big Prep Cheerleader (well, I was in blue army, but still), but I just really like what prep has to offer and want other people to experience Prep for themselves.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Creighton Prep is of course a Catholic Private school if that matters at all. (would to me).
However, there are students from different religions as well.
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

Alot of it doesn't matter what religion they are.

The Education is what matters the most isn't it?

I'm a Bishop Heelan kid, (..yeah, all the way in sioux city) and it didn't really matter if you were catholic or even christian, it's more about the educational standardsz.

however, I would love to see a non-religious affliated private school pop up...but those types of schools are usually boarding schools and costs OODLES of money.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

OmahaJaysCU wrote: This really helps to show how Prep is evolving into a more city wide school than a Roncali or Skutt (not that they're below Prep or anything, they are both great schools).
I actually totally agree, Prep has a way more diverse population than does (did?) Skutt. Skutt was pretty white save for the occasional South Pacifcer, Hispanic, and African American Student.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

way more diverse population than does (did?) Skutt
Didn't you graduate like 4 years ago? (or less? Aren't you and Aaron classmates?)

I think we can reserve that question for folks like my class of 50 something, Benson graduating parents. :D
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Uh, wow yeah, feels a lot longer than that though. :lol: And you know, things change a lot in three years. :D
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

Anybody hear of brownell?

http://www.brownell.edu
Apparently it's like some UBER expenisve prepatory school in town.

Looks nice though.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

There's also Concordia Lutheran High School at 156th and Fort in northwest Omaha. I don't know much about it but class sizes are very small and similar to rural high schools.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Finn wrote:Omaha has plenty of good schools. As a Prep grad, I could never understand the mentality of worrying about it being an all-male school except from those attempting to mock us. I will say that Prep is the most respected high school in the state
Well, that's obviously one person's opinion. Many of the Omaha, Millard, and surrounding public school districts churn out plenty of excellent students, and offer plenty of programs. With the quality of the public schools in Omaha, the extra money is not worth it to a lot of people.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I will say that Prep is the most respected high school in the state
That's funny... I always thought Westside was the most respected high school in the state. :D

If the parochial schools are so good... how come they never release their average ACT/SAT scores to the public?

Suffice it to say... all the schools in the Omaha metro, public and private... are excellent. I've got the property taxes to prove it! ;)
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

jhuston wrote: If the parochial schools are so good... how come they never release their average ACT/SAT scores to the public?
Well since public schools are paid for by public money, shouldn't the public know how those schools are performing? Private schools are private, so it really doesn't matter. Private schools do all kinds of weird things like that, I know Prep, for example, won't release class rank to colleges.

And trust me, in the realm of private schools, Prep is at the top of the list in Nebraska. It is just unfair to compare Private schools vs Pubic schools, they all have their positives and negatives. They're almost completely different.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I guess if I were paying both property taxes towards the local public schools AND tuition to send my kids to a private school... I'd want to know how that private school were fairing against it's public counterparts. But that's just me (I actually paid pretty close attention to standardized test scores/staff experience/other factors before picking out a Millard elementary school as well).
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

That's funny... I always thought Westside was the most respected high school in the state.
That's because you were publicly educated! :lol:
Well, that's obviously one person's opinion. Many of the Omaha, Millard, and surrounding public school districts churn out plenty of excellent students, and offer plenty of programs.
Hey, I know there are lots of good schools in the area and a lot of it is what you put into it, but the reputation does count for something (ask a Harvard grad)! (My statement is based on a lot of perception as well as from a few college recruiters).
With the quality of the public schools in Omaha, the extra money is not worth it to a lot of people
And to some of us, it was more than worth it (that's why we give back!)!

Again, there are many great schools in Omaha at all levels of education - Omaha is known for it.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

That's because you were publicly educated! EDIT: :twisted:
Of course your own assertion required no such qualifier. I concede to the superior private education. ;)
Last edited by eomaha on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Hey, you chopped my smiley from the post! That is taking it out of context!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

jhuston wrote: That's funny... I always thought Westside was the most respected high school in the state.
Oh please..

Burke is the most respected high school in the state :wink: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Regarding comparisons, I can offer this. The three schools I was looking at for college were Creighton, UNL and Drake. All three of them looked at different factors in determining academic scholarships. When talking to admissions people at ALL three, they said they normally look for the student to have been in the top 10% at their school. However, all three of them said they look for the student to be in the top 25% of their class at Prep.

Take that for what it is worth. Additionally, keep in mind this was 11 years ago.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

joeglow wrote:Regarding comparisons, I can offer this. The three schools I was looking at for college were Creighton, UNL and Drake. All three of them looked at different factors in determining academic scholarships. When talking to admissions people at ALL three, they said they normally look for the student to have been in the top 10% at their school. However, all three of them said they look for the student to be in the top 25% of their class at Prep.

Take that for what it is worth. Additionally, keep in mind this was 11 years ago.
Just to throw this in for you joe, my college counselor told me the same thing a week ago, but with other schools. Just throwin that in the pot.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I know Prep, for example, won't release class rank to colleges.
However, all three of them said they look for the student to be in the top 25% of their class at Prep.
So then colleges guess who is in the top 25%. :?
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Its not specific ranking, its percentile.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Uffda wrote:
I know Prep, for example, won't release class rank to colleges.
However, all three of them said they look for the student to be in the top 25% of their class at Prep.
So then colleges guess who is in the top 25%. :?
They just release what quarter you are in. I was something like 40th in my class (with a 4.0). Everything released said I was in the top quarter of the class.