And the search for an apartment continues....

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

And the search for an apartment continues....

Post by ModestMouse »

Currently, I am looking for an apartment.

and I have found two candiates.

This one:

http://www.apartmentguide.com/Property/ ... tner=11002
^^ as you can see, it's 635 a month, pays heat, and is kinda by nebraska furnature mart, and I can get to campus through the golf coursse (which I will specifically be being a golf cart for... ;) )

They pay heat, but I gotta pay water and electricty and cable.

however, in my search, I have found this as well.
http://www.apartmentguide.com/Property/ ... tner=11002

I know they don't liste square footage, but I remember the lady I called said it was huge...so I'm assuming 800-1000 square feet realistically.

They only pay water, garbage and sewer (I think that's just all bull talk since I'm assuming garbage and sewer is free for people who live in the city limits...i don't know though) and I gotta pay heat and electricty as well as cable.

Now, are the prices going to be about the same, or is the 550 one a better deal or si the 635 one a better deal? I have a roommate coming with me, who will share my burden in making rent.

Your help in this matter would be appreciated.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

When I lived in a newly constructed 2bedroom, ~1,000sqft apt on the 2nd of 3 floors my gas bill was ~$50/mo. YMMV as we were in Sarpy Co at the time, using Aquila not MUD. But its also one less bill you would have to pay, and looking at the second one at 48th and Cuming it doesn't seem to be the most energy efficient place. My vote is for the one near NFM. You will be close to any store you might need, eg the new Target, chances are its a newer complex and closer to UNO. It seems odd that you wouldn't pay heat but you would pay water though.
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

well that's what the first one said.

well the second one is 550 a month..I mean, sure it might not be the best more efficient place.

But I think the top one doesn't rent out to students...

I gotta check on that though, the bottom one does rent out to students, and I appreciate that, plus free laundry, (good cause I don't like quarters) I don't know though

once I move though, I'll take pictures of the place.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

ModestMouse wrote:But I think the top one doesn't rent out to students...
Um...isn't that a violation or something? I'd think if you had the $$/credit then you're in.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

many rent controlled places, by law, can't rent to students.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

You should try craigslist! :lol:
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

I've looked there.

You got to remember, I'm a poor student, I'm going to be living off of loan money and probably a very poor paying minimum wage job in omaha.

I can't go for anything realistically over 630ish bceause I still got to keep in mind rent...etc

And for the craigslist thing...if you put it down to about 600 a month plus all utilties we will pay..I'd do it. =P

1750!? c'mon!!!!

The reason why people don't rent to college kids is because of the uncertainity of getting the rent money. remember, alot of college kids live off of loan money as well as jobs, it's still very hard to keep alot of that stuff in traack because well, a) I'm going to be 19..and living in a much bigger city, and it's the first time I'll be balancing the bills, mangaing money all by myself, *EEP!* b) students are risks. students are more prone to do stupid things, get caught doing stupid things and some students can really disrupt neighbors by playing loud music, having house parties...etc.

some rental companies simply don't want to deal with it.

But honeslty, what do you think the theating bill for a 1000 square foot 2 bedroom apartment would be? I'm hoping its under 70 bucks...
cosita
Home Owners Association

Post by cosita »

Man do I feel stupid. We're renting out our basement which has it's own kitchen and bathroom for 350 a month total. :lmao
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

I don't know, I kinda don't know wehre to start with that stuff....

I'm kinda just...open I guess, but I need a 2 bedroom apartment that pays some utilties and if possible, under 500 bucks a month...don't konw where i'd find that...
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

What's the 'rent' in UNO's dorms anyway? They look like they'd be expensive (doesn't look like quite the spartan living I enjoyed in Cather Hall).
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

400 hundred a month per person I think..

And I don't want to live in a dorm, I can always meet people at shows, parties...the classroom...etc

Plus under 10% of the student population lives in the dorms.
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

we don't know yet.

The search goes on.
shengs75
Home Owners Association

Home Rental website

Post by shengs75 »

I'm thinking about starting a website where landlords can list and tenants can search. It'd be a free site, so it's like a craigslist, but with field searching capability and potentially a Google Map interface for map searches.

Any suggestions or recommendations? I especially need ideas for marketing the site.

These will be for private listings, so it doesn't compete against apartment.com and rent.com.

It would probably compete against rentkwik.com and rentclick.com and craigslist.