maybe a little odd

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

cosita
Home Owners Association

maybe a little odd

Post by cosita »

So I'm thinking about buying half a cow. :lol:
Does anyone have anyplace they could suggest or info/suggestions they could offer on the subject? A lot of what I'm finding is grass finished and my family is telling me I'm not going to like the taste at all.
I found one place in Marquette that does a 30/60 or 90 day grain finishing process but I don't know enough about meat to convince me it's worth the drive.
We're thinking about starting off with just buying a quarter cow. I realize this is totally random. Thanks for any info. :lol:
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Odd...yes. Odder...my parents just bought a quarter of a cow last week. I've had some and it's great. I think they got it from South Dakota. When I talk to them again I'll ask them about it.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Buy a 1/4 every 8 or 9 months. If this is your first time buying a quanitity of beef make sure you have room for it. While it may not seem like a bunch, a 1/2 of beef takes some space.

Grain feed... the only way to go for flavor. Grass feed is OK but given the choice I knpow where I fall. There is a reason that Corn feed beef from the heartland sells at a premium.

If you are getting it butchered yourself with hoever you are splitting the animal with make sure you give some thought to how you get it cut. Hamburger is always an option but there is soom much more that you can do and you can get good quality ground beef at a reasable cost at the counter at HyVee, Fairway, ect.

We use a small town locker about an hour from omaha to do the work and we but the animal live and pay for the locker work ourself. It is USDA inspected just like the big boys but you get the personal touch.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I just realized this could be done this year. It's all very strange to me.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I just realized this could be done like 5 seconds ago when I read this thread. Strange for me as well.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I found out it could be done when someone decided to recruit a 23 year old powerlifter to throw around 100lbs of pounds of meet. :evil:
15-17, 26, 32
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

It took me like 10 minutes to realize cosita wasn't talking about investing in cattle. :shock:
ladyred
Home Owners Association

Post by ladyred »

Bugeater is right go with the grain fed. I grew up out in the sandhills and we always butchered our own beef. We would grain feed them. The taste is much better and is going to be more what you are used to eating.

You are going to want a bit of everything including steaks, roasts and stew meat the rest can be made into ground beef. In fact here is a pretty cool chart you can look at to see what cuts of meat come from where.
http://www.angus.org/pubs/beefchart.pdf
Patty Beeken
MDS Coordinator Eastern Nebraska Veteran's Home
Serving America's Heroes

There is no time limit to solving a mystery
url=http://postimage.org/]Image[/url]
cosita
Home Owners Association

Post by cosita »

so pasture raised but grain finished for your choice of 30-60 or 90 days wouldn't cut the mustard? :lol: