I am living downtown...

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

thejason
New to the Neighborhood

I am living downtown...

Post by thejason »

Off of 16th & Farnam! Wahoo!

Does anybody else on the forums live down here?

I am also interested in getting involved in some of the groups that are located downtown... any info?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Way to go!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Congrats! From many of us who don't live downtown - or in Omaha - we're jealous!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: I am living downtown...

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

thejason wrote:Off of 16th & Farnam! Wahoo!

I am also interested in getting involved in some of the groups that are located downtown... any info?
Congrats on your DT Omaha move..

Speaking of groups, try these 12 to get you started:

http://www.downtownomaha.org/involved.htm

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

My girlfriend lives on 11th and Harney.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Swift wrote:My girlfriend lives on 11th and Harney.
She does? So does mine. :shock:
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

what the deuce!

maybe we're secretly dating the same lady. did she just move back to omaha from san francisco? :)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Swift wrote:what the deuce!

maybe we're secretly dating the same lady. did she just move back to omaha from san francisco? :)
No - she just moved back to Omaha from Decatur :P
I think she may be too old for you anyway.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm moving DT September 11th. It's going to be a great day! :)
DTO
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

Ich bin ein downtowner.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Ich mochte ein Downtowner sein. :(
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Translation please...
DTO
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

almighty_tuna wrote:Ich mochte ein Downtowner sein. :(
I believe it roughly translates to : I wish I was a downtowner.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I am a downtowner
I would like to be a downtowner
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I am a Dowtowner..

I Lived DT for 5 years..

I will be a downtowner in the not so distant future (not as soon as I'd like though)..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I AM a downtowner. 900 Farnum to be exact.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Hey Lou, where are you planning to move downtown?
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

OmahaChef wrote:Hey Lou, where are you planning to move downtown?
My move is most likely 5 years away Tom. Unless my circumstances change, I'll be looking to sell my home in West Omaha and move into a Condo downtown..The Wallstreet Tower looks very inviting to me..

But my potential move back to downtown Omaha is a distant future away..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

Congrats on the move. We are moving downtown in the next thirty days but wanted to run a quick question by the board. We have currently reserved a place in the cornerstone but I wanted to check if anyone had any advice on other places before we sign. We looked at the Greenhouse, Old Market Lofts and Skinner building. We have a cat so that is important to our decision.

Any advice?
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Well since my girlfriend lives in the Cornerstone, I have to say that I've been very pleased with it. They allow cats there, I believe (and if not, I've seen some anyway :shock: ).
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

j4nu wrote:Congrats on the move. We are moving downtown in the next thirty days but wanted to run a quick question by the board. We have currently reserved a place in the cornerstone but I wanted to check if anyone had any advice on other places before we sign. We looked at the Greenhouse, Old Market Lofts and Skinner building. We have a cat so that is important to our decision.

Any advice?
We lived in the OML for about 8 months before moving to SoMa. It's a very nice building - by far the best view of downtown Omaha FROM downtown Omaha (when the roof isn't on fire) - but sometimes it felt like we were living in a very expensive dorm. The walls are very thin, and we had to listen to lots of games of quarters while we were trying to sleep. Again, we're 30ish+, and had to get up at 6 AM every morning. I probably would have loved it when I was 21 and single. They allow smoking (which sucks, especially since that's what set the roof on fire). The staff there was very friendly and helpful (plus good lookin'). I have no idea what their pet policy was, but I know I saw pets.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Swift wrote:Well since my girlfriend lives in the Cornerstone, I have to say that I've been very pleased with it.
Plus the Cornerstone had their little private deck out front in between Famous Dave's and Chicago's.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

The Cornerstone has cool units. Haven't lived there though. I lived at the Skinner for almost 3 years, nice rooftop deck, but the walls are paper thin, and I do mean paper thin. But rents are quite reasonable there for the amount of space. I live in the Greenhouse now, the walls are incredibly thick. I sometimes get the feeling I am the only one on my floor. Most buildings allow cats for a fee. Dogs are a bit dicier an issue.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Hey Lou, I could totally see you in the Wall Street Tower. 2009....plenty of time to plan it out. Maybe yopu could get your mug on TV as one of the first to move in to Omaha's premier condo spot!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Hey Chef - What is this about the Aksarben Coronation party at your place?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

OmahaChef wrote:Hey Lou, I could totally see you in the Wall Street Tower. 2009....plenty of time to plan it out. Maybe yopu could get your mug on TV as one of the first to move in to Omaha's premier condo spot!
That would be sweet Tom..

But I do like my west Omaha home..I've invested much time and money into it over the past 7 years..It would be hard to move..

But time will indeed tell..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
shengs75
Home Owners Association

Congrats

Post by shengs75 »

Congrats on DT. I wish I can be there, then I don't have to mow the lawn :)

I don't think I can live in downtown, because:

1) condos are so expensive for little space
2) no true groceries stores around
3) not really kid-friendly (need a park/playground with swings somewhere)
4) parking-unfriendly
5) probably more reasons I can't think of

I would love downtown, because:

1) it's closer to the airport
2) I can walk to go to a bar/restaurant
3) if I work downtown, I can walk to work

Can you think of any reasons why you wouldn't and would live downtown?
DTO Luv
City Council

Re: Congrats

Post by DTO Luv »

shengs75 wrote: I don't think I can live in downtown, because:

I guess it depends where you're looking. It also depends on how many people you have living with you. If you have 6 kids you're not going to want a 1-2 bdrm unit. Something more like Soma or the Little Italy would be for a family with kids.

shengs75 wrote:2) no true groceries stores around
I get sick of hearing this. As it stands now you'd be driving just as far (or further) from a suburban home to get to a grocer as you would to a store if you lived DT. Is there a grocery store 2 blocks from your house now? I doubt it.
shengs75 wrote:3) not really kid-friendly (need a park/playground with swings somewhere)
Yes it is. They're are parks. Someone on this forum had even told me one time that there isn't a place to 'play catch'. Miller's landing would be fine for that. Conagra also has a big open area on 10th St. Also when they finish the improvements to the GLM there will be a dedicated playground near the slides.
shengs75 wrote:4) parking-unfriendly
This makes no sense to me since there are plenty of places to park DT. On the street and in garages.

I realize living DT isn't for everyone but at least all of the reasons you provided are what I constantly hear is bad (and mostly untrue) about living in an urban neighborhood.
DTO
shengs75
Home Owners Association

Re: Congrats

Post by shengs75 »

DTO Luv wrote:
shengs75 wrote: I don't think I can live in downtown, because:

I guess it depends where you're looking. It also depends on how many people you have living with you. If you have 6 kids you're not going to want a 1-2 bdrm unit. Something more like Soma or the Little Italy would be for a family with kids.

I would need at least a 3BR. :) and condos are rare and expensive at that size DTO.

shengs75 wrote:2) no true groceries stores around
I get sick of hearing this. As it stands now you'd be driving just as far (or further) from a suburban home to get to a grocer as you would to a store if you lived DT. Is there a grocery store 2 blocks from your house now? I doubt it.

Actually, yes. There's a Baker's within walking distance, and I can drive to Wal-Mart and target within 5-6 blocks away. Home Depot is near by as well. I'm near 120th and Center.
shengs75 wrote:3) not really kid-friendly (need a park/playground with swings somewhere)
Yes it is. They're are parks. Someone on this forum had even told me one time that there isn't a place to 'play catch'. Miller's landing would be fine for that. Conagra also has a big open area on 10th St. Also when they finish the improvements to the GLM there will be a dedicated playground near the slides.

You are right. I forgot about Conagra. Too bad they don't have swings and playground there for the kids. We have a baseball field, swimming pool, and swings all within walking distance. Plus, my daughter can ride her bike to the park. I don't think that would be so safe DTO. I just don't see any kids around.
shengs75 wrote:4) parking-unfriendly
This makes no sense to me since there are plenty of places to park DT. On the street and in garages.

one word. FREE. I know there are plenty of parking, but you have to pay for the most part. It's very rare that you can find free parking.

I realize living DT isn't for everyone but at least all of the reasons you provided are what I constantly hear is bad (and mostly untrue) about living in an urban neighborhood.
It's true in some respect. I've also listed some of the advantages. If I was single, and working downtown then I would definitely consider DTO. Definitely save on costs for gas.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

Thanks for the advice on a place everyone. I found one on 11th and Harney and will start moving in next Friday. I can't believe I finally get to move downtown.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It looks like we'll be moving DT at the same time. I'll be moving Friday as well.
DTO
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

This weekend is kind of my "Soft" move where I start bringing in smaller items I'm hauling myself and doing a nice cleaning. The following Friday is when the movers come in to help.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I'm also now looking lots harder at moving DT. If I am able to get my ducks in a row here, I'll be going DT in January. Thats when my current apartment lease ends, I'm sure it will be about -40 windchill the weekend I try to move. :lol:
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Yeah, your luck must run like mine. When I moved downtown the first time in November of 2002, from West O, I would pull my pickup into the garage at night to load it up with boxes to drop off after work. It was so dang cold for November...average temps at night 17 degrees. I moved the furniture Thanksgiving weekend and thought my fingers would break off. What I didn't realize at the time was that it would be the coldest winter on record with 134 days in a row where temps never got above 32 degrees. Walking to work every day that first year was nasty. Luckily, the next few years were a lot milder. I'm hoping this winter is a mild one. Walking across the Qwest parking lot to InPlay....nothing to break the brutal north winds!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Tell them to build a windbreaker stadium. :)
DTO
praymojo420
Home Owners Association

Post by praymojo420 »

DTO Luv wrote:It looks like we'll be moving DT at the same time. I'll be moving Friday as well.
Yeah, that totally happened. Except for on Saturday we both sat there in your empty unfinished condo. ;P
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Yeah I've had some problems getting my place done at the Rorick. It's bad management but they are taking care of that. I don't want to put a date on it but I guess I'll be in late this week.
DTO
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

Still moving in myself, the movers are coming this Friday to move the last of the stuff in. I am staying in the new place though, and so far, I love it.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Do you live at the Mayfair? I can't think of what else is at 11th and Harney.
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

DTO Luv wrote:Yeah I've had some problems getting my place done at the Rorick. It's bad management but they are taking care of that. I don't want to put a date on it but I guess I'll be in late this week.
Bad management?..Hmmm..

How's my girl doing??..

:wink: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!