Moving back to Omaha from Las Vegas

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Erik
Parks & Recreation

Moving back to Omaha from Las Vegas

Post by Erik »

I have been in Vegas since September of last year, and I cannot wait until the 30th of August to be back home :D
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Congrats Erick! I'm sure you won't regret it. and thanks for heading back on my birthday! :)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes - Congrats Erik. Welcome almost back home. Image
When I moved back to Omaha 4 years ago on Aug 30th - it was also a very happy moment for me.
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

Welcome back to Omaha. I'm coming up to my 2 year anniversary of returning to the Big O!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Welcome back to Omaha Erik..See if you can talk a few more of those residents of evercrowding Las Veges to move here to Omaha as well!..

:wink: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

I would omahacowboy, but i dont think any of you would want people that
1.Cant drive
2.Are lazy
3.thinks that nature is a trash can
4.Are so ignorant that they think that since omaha is not in California that
its a bad place to live.
5.The highest ratio of criminals per capita (State ranking) to choose from.

:D
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

The more I think about it, the more I'm considering staying in Omaha. It might be just another phase caused by what I associate it with (friends, family, good times, and how keen I am on it), I dunno. Right now the only other city that really interests me as a possible relocation (that I can afford) is Denver.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Erik wrote:I would omahacowboy, but i dont think any of you would want people that
1.Cant drive
2.Are lazy
3.thinks that nature is a trash can
4.Are so ignorant that they think that since omaha is not in California that
its a bad place to live.
5.The highest ratio of criminals per capita (State ranking) to choose from.

:D
Erik-

:lol: ..

Titos..Good to see you giving serious consideration to staying in Omaha. We'd hate to lose your census person count to someplace in central Iowa :wink: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

heck no. I'd never claim residency in central Iowa. I'm talking more along the lines of after college.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Excellent!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

It's almost the three month anniversary of my girlfriend's and my return from San Francisco.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Also excellent!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

So what's bringing you back?
DTO
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Omaha is home to me, most of my family and friends are there.
Also I know that Omaha is a tech hub I can find a job there fairly easily and I would have to say that after living in Vegas, Im not really impressed with the city. I think people exaggerate the importance of mountains and 24 hour beer drinking and gambling. Beyond that this city truly is a hole :P
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

We're glad to have you back home Erik..

:) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Yeah, welcome back! Living elsewhere for awhile can help one appreciate all the things that make Omaha special. Glad you're returning.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Minneapolis Boy wrote:Living elsewhere for awhile can help one appreciate all the things that make Omaha special.
This is SO true..

And I've heard it time and time again from people who moved away beause of a job transfer, family situation, or for 'greener pastures' etc..When they do move back to Omaha, they express the exact same sentiment..

Sometimes when you leave, you develop an even deeper appreciation for how truly unique and terrific the Omaha metro is to live in..

:) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Minneapolis Boy wrote:Living elsewhere for awhile can help one appreciate all the things that make Omaha special.

Agreed.. I've been away, with college and post-college work for about 11 years now. I always loved the city, and I've always planned to return, but I don't know how many times I've compared what exists out here to Omaha and found here to be severely lacking. Now, if i could just get a job.. <grin>
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Keep on trying! Hopefully, the right door will open and it won't be too long.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Well... at 4:30pm PST I will be living in the skies, but as off 11:54 CST I will be living in Omaha!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Safe flight Eric! I'll see about the band at the gate.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Welcome home! Make sure the pilot uses the right runway.
DTO
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

being back from Vegas now, I have notice something right away...
Vegas does have some neat scenery, but as a whole Omaha is a beautiful city that is easy to take for granted if you have lived here your whole life.
Enjoy home as this has to be one of the best cities in the world
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Right on, Eric! Having lived in a number of cities over the last 20 years, I grew to appreciate Omaha's scenery very much. I love the hills, trees, creeks, rivers, lakes, etc. And, I love our many wonderful sunsets. Welcome back home - I hope your heart is settled.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Good stuff guys..

I agree wholeheartedly..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for the insight Eric - which I also agree.
Having lived in the mountains of New Mexico, the Hill Country of Austin, the lakes of MN, the Bayou's of Louisiana. I am also glad I am back home in Omaha. Welcome back home!
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Something else I've noticed about Omaha vs Las Vegas...

The buildings look okay in Vegas but they all seem to look too similar there. In Omaha the buildings have better architecture.

The yards are at least 4-5 times bigger in Omaha and really the scenery is taken for granted here, after being in the desert for a year and coming back, the grass and trees and the hilly city is actually beautiful. Las Vegas has mountains and desert. Omaha has seasonal change which I really missed because each season is unique and each is beatiful in its own way. Vegas really has two seasons, summer where its 115 everyday and then winter where it gets down to the 20-30's at night, but there rarely is the snow and there is no color of leaf changing or anything like that, Vegas looks the same all year round but it gets hot and cold.
shengs75
Home Owners Association

Post by shengs75 »

Asten wrote:

Agreed.. I've been away, with college and post-college work for about 11 years now. I always loved the city, and I've always planned to return, but I don't know how many times I've compared what exists out here to Omaha and found here to be severely lacking. Now, if i could just get a job.. <grin>
I concur as well. Visiting other cities made me realize how much Omaha has to offer. If you don't mind driving everywhere, Omaha is a nice town. It has almost everything you need here. There definitely needs to me more culture, but still has what a city should offer with a small town feel.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

What is a small town feel? I hear about that constantly and it doesn't make any sense. If it's about friendliness I disagree. I have lived in small towns and they make north Omaha look like Dundee.
DTO
shengs75
Home Owners Association

Post by shengs75 »

DTO Luv wrote:What is a small town feel? I hear about that constantly and it doesn't make any sense. If it's about friendliness I disagree. I have lived in small towns and they make north Omaha look like Dundee.
haha that's a scary thought.

Well, it's not so crowded yet. Omaha has grown, but it doesn't feel so overcrowded where people are stepping on your toes all the time. Also, I meant it in a way that there are still mom and pop shops around. Although, recently we're seeing a lot more expnsions in the chained business around.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

For me 'small town feel' is as simple as the amount of time it takes to get to a beltway. It can take as long in larger cities to just do that, as it takes to traverse the entire metro of Omaha. Of course it's all relative.

And there are plenty of mom and pop shops in bigger cities, it may just be harder to find them!