Moving back to Omaha from Vancouver

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

urbanista
New to the Neighborhood

Moving back to Omaha from Vancouver

Post by urbanista »

Hi! I've been a voyeur on eOmaha for quite some time and really enjoy the discussions.

Grew up in Omaha, went away to landscape architecture grad school in Vancouver, BC. Also studied in Tokyo and Cuba. But for some reason can't stay away from Omaha - get a feeling some good things are happening there.

Am moving back to start a Center for Land Use Dialogue that looks most at how economics are driving the form of urbanization - especially the burbs - and the resulting 'culture' of that form. I'm really intrigued by the nostalgic 'new town center' comprehensive developments being built with fake columns, cornices, faux pedestrian ways [albiet with giganto parking lots behind]. I understand that they fit into the market mold - one developer, one architect, comprehensive - rather than the way wonderful cities unfold one building at a time.

I'd love to know what any of you think of this and how you interpret what's going on in Omaha right now.

Thanks!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Sweet. Sounds good and true to me. Welcome back!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Welcome to eOmaha Urbanista! And glad that you are coming back to Omaha. Your project sounds very intriguing. "a Center for Land Use Dialogue ." I suppose that before a dialogue could take shape we would all have to be on the same page with modern ideas. Do you have a 'Reading List' that would spark insights into this dialogue?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Omaha must be doing something right to get you to move from Vancouver. (It's a urban, nature, LRT, tower loving haven. If you haven't seen it, check it out.)

When and where do you expect to be back?
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for reminding me DTO - I was thinking the same thing. Vancouver and Portland are wonderful cities to live in, so there must have been some strong pull to bring you back to Omaha!
urbanista
New to the Neighborhood

Post by urbanista »

Thanks for the replies. I would love to put together a little reading list for anyone that is interested.

And you are right, Vancouver is almost perfect. I've been here during the big boom - giant urban planning experiment - over 50 towers built in front of my eyes, continuous public waterfront, cosmopolitan, diverse, and international. I've learned unbelievably much from Vancouver. Luckily I've got a deal set up to be in Vancouver in the summer months working at a firm, so I'm not giving it up completely.

But I've learned something about utopia: sometimes something can be too perfect that there's no work to do - so to speak. It becomes a sedative. And too expensive for opportunity. No grit = no struggle = limited outlets for creativity. There is a lot more creativity and opportunity to build something meaningful in Omaha.

Plus my family is in Omaha and I miss them.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I would be interested in seeing what you would consider standard reference material, pivotal works that changed peoples minds or created norms... Maybe we could start a collection on this thread.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

urbanista wrote:
Plus my family is in Omaha and I miss them.
That's what it tends to boil down to. Toronto's cool and I'd jump ship in a beat. But my family is here too. Maybe they could learn to love Toronto. ;)

Great thoughts on Vancouver being stagnant but gleaming. I've heard the same thing on a few other sites.
DTO
urbanista
New to the Neighborhood

Post by urbanista »

I love Toronto. And Montreal.

But yes, let's start a reading collection - as many different theories of thought as possible.

How do we do that - I'm new to this thread thing............
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A thread is just a collection of posts. For instance this thread is in the General Discussion Folder and you entitled it "Moving back to Omaha from Vancouver."
Just keep posting them with these posts.
urbanista
New to the Neighborhood

Post by urbanista »

Coyote -
Just visited your website - great compendium on historic places of Omaha.

Do you mention anywhere that Central Park [in all it's positives and negatives] was designed by one of the best American Landscape Architects, Lawrence Halprin?

Not that many cities the size of Omaha can boast owning one of those.

Last time I was in Omaha I found a fantastic monograph of Halprin in the 70's at The Antiquarium. I took it as a sign to move home!

I think the city recently hired Van Valkenburgh out of NYC to reconceptualize the park, but I'm guessing that's old news.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

urbanista wrote:Coyote - Just visited your website - great compendium on historic places of Omaha.

Do you mention anywhere that Central Park [in all it's positives and negatives] was designed by one of the best American Landscape Architects, Lawrence Halprin?
Thanks Urbanista! I need to work a little more on updating some of those write-ups. Funny that you ask about Halprin - I was just there this afternoon checking out the Island and all of the natural grasses they just planted and I saw something of Halprin. I certainly will have to get something up about him. Thanks for the suggestion.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

urbanista wrote:There is a lot more creativity and opportunity to build something meaningful in Omaha.
*nail* -- -- -------->>>>@ *head* ----------direct hit.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Nice..Welcome home urbanista..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
shengs75
Home Owners Association

Congrats!

Post by shengs75 »

Wow that's quite a move from Vancouver to Omaha. I can't think of any reason why anyone would want to do that. :) But welcome back. Omaha has changed so much just the 7 years I've been here.
urbanista
New to the Neighborhood

Post by urbanista »

So, I pared down an initial 'reading list' from 125 titles to just a few. That was hard work! Think I got a nice balance of urbanists, landscape architects, architects, cultural critics, space philosophy, and old school.
Any comments on the following?

Christopher Alexander: A Pattern Language
Rem Koolhaus: S,M,L,XL
Charles Waldheim: A Landscape Urbanism Reader
Reyner Banham: The Architecture of the Well-Tempered Environment
James Corner: Recovering Landscape
Kevin Lynch: Good City Form
Mario Gandelsonas: X-Urbanism, Architecture and the American City
Lionel March: RM Schindler, Composition and Construction

And any situationsit theory: Guy Debord, Henri Lefebvre, etc.
urbanista
New to the Neighborhood

Post by urbanista »

Hey Streets of Omaha,

I looked through your collection of photos on your website.
I have to ask: Is that a fiberglass Eames bucket chair in your apartment?