Coming Home to Omaha... but I need a job

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RyaninOrangeCounty
New to the Neighborhood

Coming Home to Omaha... but I need a job

Post by RyaninOrangeCounty »

Hi everyone. I'm an Omaha native who has been living in Southern California for the past 7 years, but I am currently planning a move back home. Keeping up with EOmaha over the last few years, I've been nothing short of amazed at just how far the city has come since I left after high school. Now that I'll finally be graduating from school in December, my wife and I are seriously looking to move to Omaha... but I need to find a job. I know a lot of the people on this site are fairly well connected in the planning and development fields, so maybe someone out there can help.

I'm looking for a position with a planning or development firm that has a strong emphasis on traditional neighborhood design. I have experience with TIF and redevelopment projects with a major city in California, and my degree is in Geography (with specializations in urban geography, architecture, and Latino studies). Skills include AutoCAD and GIS. Send me a PM if you have any leads. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd also like to thank all of the EOmaha's members that have allowed me to keep track of the great things that have been happening in Omaha over the years. You may not realize it, but this is an invaluable resource for all of us who live far from the Big O. I look forward to buying you all a round of beers once I'm in town.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I dunno how much traditional development they do, but if I was in your field, I'd strongly look into working at HDR. They got their hands in all kinds of stuff. Good luck with your move back to the big O! :)

http://www.hdrinc.com/
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Good luck on your job search and journey back home Ryan.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Another option is RDG Planning and Design. They have an office in Omaha.

http://www.rdgusa.com/
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Hi Ryan,

I have a plethora of resources I could send you info on (Omaha Home Builders, etc). I'm not at the office until Monday so I can't help you until then, unless I go in tomorrow. I might just do that for you. I'm working on my Realtor website to have a large amount of links that include a large ray of things.

Adam VanZee
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

I'd love to get back to OMA myself. Unfortunately the job search hasn't gone well thus far. :(
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

My job search isn't going very good either. So I'm glad I am already here.
15-17, 26, 32
West2Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by West2Omaha »

On a related note, I recently relocated back to Omaha after spending a year in Wichita. Great to be back!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Glad you're back. What made you move back? Not that you really need a reason. It was Wichita.
DTO
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Sorry Ryan, I was busy all day today and just now getting on the internet.

Check this site out:

http://lotsomaha.com/
RyaninOrangeCounty
New to the Neighborhood

Post by RyaninOrangeCounty »

Thanks, Adam.  I've already started looking into HDR and RDG.  Both look like great places to work.  I'll keep you posted as I get a little further in the process.  Thanks for your help.
kcisar
New to the Neighborhood

Post by kcisar »

Ryan and those others actively looking for employment.  My name is Kent and i work for a non profit organization called the AIM Institute.  We run the website http://www.careerlink.com.  If you'd like to email me your resume, I'd be more than happy to scan the listings and try to help if I can.  you can reach me at kcisar@careerlink.com.

Good luck!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" Steve Prefontaine
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

You wrok with my mom Kent.
DTO
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

kcisar wrote:Ryan and those others actively looking for employment.  My name is Kent and i work for a non profit organization called the AIM Institute.  We run the website http://www.careerlink.com.  If you'd like to email me your resume, I'd be more than happy to scan the listings and try to help if I can.  you can reach me at kcisar@careerlink.com.

Good luck!
I visit almost daily :)  

I read the other day that about 5% of jobs are the result of ads... about 1% are the results of online ads.  Most of the rest is networking.

Perhaps building a job networking site is worth a shot.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

This site helped me get my job and meet some really cool people.  So ya, that would be a great idea.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

kcisar wrote:Ryan and those others actively looking for employment.  My name is Kent and i work for a non profit organization called the AIM Institute.  We run the website http://www.careerlink.com.  If you'd like to email me your resume, I'd be more than happy to scan the listings and try to help if I can.  you can reach me at kcisar@careerlink.com.

Good luck!
Its good to see "puckhead" finally joining the forum!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:You wrok with my mom Kent.
And I'm sure he "wrok"s her world.  ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.