Conference Centers

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

joeglow
Planning Board

Conference Centers

Post by joeglow »

I did not know where to put this, so I decided to do it here.  I am looking at some of the conference centers I have been at in the last few months (Westin in Hollywood Florida and one (I cannot remember the hotel) in Grapevine, Texas).  These things were frigging amazing.  They had more marble in them than I have ever seen in one place and could accomodate twice that of the Omaha conference center.  Looking at the price tag for the Qwest (the conference center piece), I am guessing these had to cost 500 million to a billion dollars to build.  What I am wondering is how in the sweet heck do these places afford that price tag?  While I am happy about building the conference center (and would not NOT build it), I am getting a little nervous when looking at the potential burden that MAY be placed on taxpayers.  Is there not more we can be doing to attract more business?  How are these other cities affording the price tags on there's and not taking a bath?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Well for the Florida one I imagine they have WAAAAY more out of state money being spent to help pay for things like that. You kind of lost me with conference center. You mean convention center right?
DTO
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

DTO Luv wrote:Well for the Florida one I imagine they have WAAAAY more out of state money being spent to help pay for things like that. You kind of lost me with conference center. You mean convention center right?
Sorry.  Yes.  

Florida, I can understand.  However, the one in Dallas shouldn't have THAT much more on us (considering it is about 45 minutes from downtown anyway).
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Dallas is also over 5M people. Plus being in a state and region with sizeable wealth and you're probably going to see more premier looking places outside of DT and other urban areas.
DTO