Helicopter Rides?

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

creightonchick
New to the Neighborhood

Helicopter Rides?

Post by creightonchick »

Hi there,
I was just wondering if anyone knows of anybody who offers helicopter rides in the Omaha area?  I really would like to take my fiance up in one or a hot air balloon.  But preferably a helicopter.  Thanks
Brad
City Council

Re: Helicopter Rides?

Post by Brad »

creightonchick wrote:Hi there,
I was just wondering if anyone knows of anybody who offers helicopter rides in the Omaha area?  I really would like to take my fiance up in one or a hot air balloon.  But preferably a helicopter.  Thanks
I use Dynatech out of millard, $300+

And I also use Iowa helicopter, http://www.iowahelicopter.com
creightonchick
New to the Neighborhood

Post by creightonchick »

Thanks Brad,
I guess Dynatech stopped offering helicopter rides and Jack has moved on and no longer offers helicopter rides anymore.  I saw the other one that you mentioned but they seem so expensive, especially since I want my fiance to be with (and they charge more for 2 people). Any other thoughts by chance?  Thanks
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I would think a hot air balloon would be more romantic. :D

Last edited by Stargazer on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
creightonchick
New to the Neighborhood

Post by creightonchick »

that's true, but it's getting a little cold for a hot air balloon! (even though it's "hot air")   :D

Don't they have bigger helicopters than that Stargazer?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I don't know... Brad knows as much about chopper rides as anyone around here (that's him in the photo above... trying to keep inside the cokpit by the way :) ).

"I love you honey!"
"What?!"
"Put on your headset!"
"Oh, right!"
"I love you honey!"
"Copy that! and I love you too!"  :;):

Last edited by Stargazer on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
creightonchick
New to the Neighborhood

Post by creightonchick »

ok, thanks!  I guess I just wanted a helicopter since I want to take it to a few different places and I don't think hot air balloons are really that speedy!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They have a 4 person (3 passanger) R44, the picture jeff posted of me is an R22.  

You can't weigh more than 300 LBS or 450 LBS Combined in the R44, from your two's avitar you look like you will make that.

Here are their R44's:
creightonchick
New to the Neighborhood

Post by creightonchick »

thanks brad,
do they normally answer the phone?  I got a message both times!  thanks for all of your help
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

creightonchick wrote:thanks brad,
do they normally answer the phone?  I got a message both times!  thanks for all of your help
No, leave a message.
ClintMueller

helicopter ride

Post by ClintMueller »

SO Where did you end up flying with? im looking for a chopter ride as well for me and 1 more. Let me know where you went and Brad if you have another thought or so let me know please. The iowa ones phone number didnt work.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: helicopter ride

Post by nebugeater »

ClintMueller wrote:SO Where did you end up flying with? im looking for a chopter ride as well for me and 1 more. Let me know where you went and Brad if you have another thought or so let me know please. The iowa ones phone number didnt work.
Iowa is about it for anyone with a commercial / charter license. Beyond that you need to know someone that has a chopper and those are few and far between anywhere close.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Iowa Helicopter was just posting on their facebook page yesterday so I know they are still around.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Stargazer wrote:I would think a hot air balloon would be more romantic. :D

I love this picture every time I see it.  That looks to be an extremely uncomfortable ride.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Its not that bad.  Here is a shot Tuna took of me over the CWS, not nearly as cramped looking.

FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

I can give free rides in a much larger aircraft:
All you have to do is raise your right hand and sign a few pieces of paper.

These photos are from when we landed and dropped off the TAG at the Papillion High School Football Field last Fall.

Image[/img]
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I saw them land a chinook helicopter over at Burk Highschool a couple years ago.
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

Brad, Are you still using the guy out of Ankeny, IA?

I want to fly some on the civilian side, but I dont want to have to drive out to Ankeny to do so.  There was a rumor a while back about a guy with an aircraft in Tekemah, but I havent been able to find anything more.

One day ill buy an old OH6 or MD500 and base it out of Omaha for you.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yes, I used them in late September.  The pilot met me in Red Oak, IA for a photo shoot I had down there.  When I got there, there were 2 R44's in a hanger.  One used for Crop Dusting and the other used by the owner of the crop dusting company.

The fuel guy at the Millard airport told me there is a private R44 out there and I also heard there is an R22 or an R44 at the North Omaha Airport.

There were a couple old Helicopters sitting outside the hanger in Missouri Valley, IA.  Not sure if they still run or what, but there were sitting there last time I drove down the highway.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

FrontlineOmaha wrote:All you have to do is raise your right hand and sign a few pieces of paper.
Oh if only it was that simple lol. I'm gonna take my shot at WOFT probably next year.
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

Bosco55David wrote:
FrontlineOmaha wrote:All you have to do is raise your right hand and sign a few pieces of paper.
Oh if only it was that simple lol. I'm gonna take my shot at WOFT probably next year.
Let me know if you have any questions.  Rest assured it is the best route to go.  Leave the desks to those hardbars.

I didnt say getting to fly them is easy, but getting you a ride in the back is simple.  If youre wearing the uniform we can get you in back, and although they are tightening down recruiting just a bit, the future recruiting for Nebraska looks great.  If youre slightly qualified and have the desire to join the guard a recruiter will work his magic to get you in.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

FrontlineOmaha wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
Let me know if you have any questions.  Rest assured it is the best route to go.  Leave the desks to those hardbars.

I didnt say getting to fly them is easy, but getting you a ride in the back is simple.  If youre wearing the uniform we can get you in back, and although they are tightening down recruiting just a bit, the future recruiting for Nebraska looks great.  If youre slightly qualified and have the desire to join the guard a recruiter will work his magic to get you in.
Thanks! I want to go Army rather than Guard, and I really have my eyes set on those AH-64s. Unfortunately, that will pretty much preclude me from coming back to Omaha for awhile, as the closest Apache base I know of is in Colorado Springs. We'll see what happens though. I've heard the process is ridiculously competitive, so I am not going to get my hopes up just yet.
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

Bosco55David wrote:Thanks! I want to go Army rather than Guard, and I really have my eyes set on those AH-64s. Unfortunately, that will pretty much preclude me from coming back to Omaha for awhile, as the closest Apache base I know of is in Colorado Springs. We'll see what happens though. I've heard the process is ridiculously competitive, so I am not going to get my hopes up just yet.
Its all the same school (WOCS and Flight School).  Same process to get in and you train side by side.  The only difference is in the Guard you know your airframe before you leave for school.  I saw an active guy that wanted CH47s get to selection day and there were no CH47s offered to our class, so it didnt matter that he was top of our class, he ended up flying 60s.

I would recommend doing a lot of research.  Know a lot about the airframe you "want" and the community that surrounds it, but dont be disappointed when you dont get it.  A big thing to note about Apaches is that you will get some flight time while deployed, but they only fly minimums here in the states (due to cost and aircraft availability).  The community is also stereotypically a bunch of A holes...and we know why stereotypes generally come about.

If you are really stuck on flying apaches, it would be smart to find a guard unit that flys them and interview with them and try to get in that way.  Being an aviator in the guard is the life too...you get to do something on the civilian side and fly during the week.  That one weekend a month, two weeks per year marketing ploy goes out the window for an aviator...its a part time job.

Post by Guest »

Brad wrote: The fuel guy at the Millard airport told me there is a private R44 out there and I also heard there is an R22 or an R44 at the North Omaha Airport.
No R-22's registered in Omaha, but there are two R-44's.  One comes back to Consolidated Concrete, this is likely the Millard based one.  There is one R-44 based at the North Omaha Airport coming back to a Missouri Valley Investments LLC.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

FrontlineOmaha wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:Thanks! I want to go Army rather than Guard, and I really have my eyes set on those AH-64s. Unfortunately, that will pretty much preclude me from coming back to Omaha for awhile, as the closest Apache base I know of is in Colorado Springs. We'll see what happens though. I've heard the process is ridiculously competitive, so I am not going to get my hopes up just yet.
Its all the same school (WOCS and Flight School).  Same process to get in and you train side by side.  The only difference is in the Guard you know your airframe before you leave for school.  I saw an active guy that wanted CH47s get to selection day and there were no CH47s offered to our class, so it didnt matter that he was top of our class, he ended up flying 60s.

I would recommend doing a lot of research.  Know a lot about the airframe you "want" and the community that surrounds it, but dont be disappointed when you dont get it.  A big thing to note about Apaches is that you will get some flight time while deployed, but they only fly minimums here in the states (due to cost and aircraft availability).  The community is also stereotypically a bunch of A holes...and we know why stereotypes generally come about.

If you are really stuck on flying apaches, it would be smart to find a guard unit that flys them and interview with them and try to get in that way.  Being an aviator in the guard is the life too...you get to do something on the civilian side and fly during the week.  That one weekend a month, two weeks per year marketing ploy goes out the window for an aviator...its a part time job.
Thanks for the info buddy! After reading your post I started to reconsider and was looking into the National Guard route as it was sounding pretty good. Unfortunately it looks like they will not take you into the aviation program unless you an E-5 or higher in the Guard, in the Reserves, or just coming off active duty. I don't have any military experience yet (in college, actually) so it doesn't look like that is an option for me, sadly.
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

Bosco55David wrote: Thanks for the info buddy! After reading your post I started to reconsider and was looking into the National Guard route as it was sounding pretty good. Unfortunately it looks like they will not take you into the aviation program unless you an E-5 or higher in the Guard, in the Reserves, or just coming off active duty. I don't have any military experience yet (in college, actually) so it doesn't look like that is an option for me, sadly.
PM Sent.