Omaha Area Schools

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

HuskerDave wrote:
Axel wrote:Lets just face it, all of Omaha's schools are great. Each has it's own unique advantage over others.
I agree!  When I was high school age, I was more inclined to believe that anyone coming out of North or Central was one degree of separation from significant criminal activity.  Years later I know there isn't necessarily any more correlation to that than there is for any other school.

As for the 'gangsta' element or drug use - there's some of that in every public school, and to some extent the private ones too (though the faculty at a private school typically has the option of booting a kid out for such behavior).
What's funny - to me - about this is that you have so many suburban white kids wanting to be gangsta.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

DeWalt wrote:
HuskerDave wrote:
Axel wrote:Lets just face it, all of Omaha's schools are great. Each has it's own unique advantage over others.
I agree!  When I was high school age, I was more inclined to believe that anyone coming out of North or Central was one degree of separation from significant criminal activity.  Years later I know there isn't necessarily any more correlation to that than there is for any other school.

As for the 'gangsta' element or drug use - there's some of that in every public school, and to some extent the private ones too (though the faculty at a private school typically has the option of booting a kid out for such behavior).
What's funny - to me - about this is that you have so many suburban white kids wanting to be gangsta.
\

I wish it were funny.... whether it's the skaters, the stoners, the wannabe gangsters, the peacenicks, the enviro-wackos... too much groupthink out there.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

HuskerDave wrote:
DeWalt wrote:
HuskerDave wrote:

\

I wish it were funny.... whether it's the skaters, the stoners, the wannabe gangsters, the peacenicks, the enviro-wackos... too much groupthink out there.
Don't you mean groupNOTthink?  That'd be more applicable to the suburbs.   :?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

HuskerDave wrote:
DeWalt wrote:
HuskerDave wrote:

\

And they all think Ferris Bueller is a righteous dude.

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

A million billion internets for you, sir.

Times nine.
Stable genius.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

One thing I fail to understand is why so many people around here have this bias against OPS. People in Omaha are oblivious to what a bad school is! Parents in many areas would give body parts to have a school system like OPS. Millard and Westside have great schools too. There really aren't any bad schools in the area.

Specifically, Central and North are regularly cited as a couple of the finest, academically speaking, in the nation. (Plus, Omaha's textbooks and course materials are decided upon by educators, and not by way of politics or superstition.)

It just confounds me when yet another parent tells me that they are looking at houses in certain areas so their kids will not have to go to Evil OPS. :(
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Omababe wrote:
One thing I fail to understand is why so many people around here have this bias against OPS. People in Omaha are oblivious to what a bad school is! Parents in many areas would give body parts to have a school system like OPS. Millard and Westside have great schools too. There really aren't any bad schools in the area.

Specifically, Central and North are regularly cited as a couple of the finest, academically speaking, in the nation. (Plus, Omaha's textbooks and course materials are decided upon by educators, and not by way of politics or superstition.)

It just confounds me when yet another parent tells me that they are looking at houses in certain areas so their kids will not have to go to Evil OPS. :(
Agree!
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Omababe wrote:

It just confounds me when yet another parent tells me that they are looking at houses in certain areas so their kids will not have to go to Evil OPS.
:(
We might as well be honest about the fact that those comments are really just thinly-veiled racism.  I've heard it from extended family members MANY times.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

People really need to segregate schools into 3 parts: remedial, honors and middle of the road.  I think back to a conversation my wife had with a friend who teaches at Burke.  She asked if she would send her kid there.  Her answer was most definitely, if the kid was in remedial or honors, but would not if they were in all the average classes.  THAT is where your disruptions are and, also, where the majority of kids will be.

Thus, I disagree strongly with the post above that you need to judge Westside by the number of top colleges students get into.  All schools have a strong honors program, as it is easy to teach a class full of bright students who want to be there.  The biggest question is what does the middle of the pack look like.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

DeWalt wrote:
Omababe wrote:

It just confounds me when yet another parent tells me that they are looking at houses in certain areas so their kids will not have to go to Evil OPS.
We might as well be honest about the fact that those comments are really just thinly-veiled racism.  I've heard it from extended family members MANY times.
Maybe, but the OPS administration has pulled some pretty blatant wedgies in the past, and that has certainly made me question their motives.  As time goes by I realize that all the school district pull some whoppers, but OPS has been pretty public with their apparent contempt for the taxpayers in the past.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Omababe wrote:

I don't buy this argument one bit.  I really don't give a s**t what schools are like in Chicago or anywhere else.  I will look at the schools in the Metro area and pick the one that I think is best for my kids.  This includes looking at drop-out rates, crime, environment, etc.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

DeWalt wrote:
Omababe wrote:

We might as well be honest about the fact that many of those quotes are socio-economic based and some people will look to play the evil racism card anyway.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

joeglow wrote:This includes looking at drop-out rates, crime, environment, etc.
One thing I've always wondered about this whole argument - when people say they worry about drop out rates, why does it matter? I wouldn't think you'd be planning on letting your kids drop out anyways, and I doubt someone else dropping out has any effect on another student?

Not nitpicking. Just wondering why drop out rates would factor in?

Post by Guest »

justnick wrote:
One thing I've always wondered about this whole argument - when people say they worry about drop out rates, why does it matter? I wouldn't think you'd be planning on letting your kids drop out anyways, and I doubt someone else dropping out has any effect on another student?

The students who drop out don't NEVER go to school.  Statistically speaking, these kids are more apt to be a disruption to other students WHEN they do attend, as they are much more likely to not take their education as seriously as other students.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

justnick wrote:

There are a lot of reasons, actually.  Unfortunately, most of them have to do with money.

Schools receive state money based on the number of students that attend the school.  The more students, the more money.  Less students inevitably leads to cuts in budgets.

In addition, the state reimburses the school extra money, based on how many reduced-price and free meals they serve.  Feeding students is actually a money-making venture for schools, so they want to serve as many meals as possible.

What would seem obvious to most of us - specifically, getting the bad kids out of the school building so there's a better learning environment - is not as simple as we would think.

Frankly, education is no longer about education.  It's about money.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Anonymous wrote:
justnick wrote:

The students who drop out don't NEVER go to school.  Statistically speaking, these kids are more apt to be a disruption to other students WHEN they do attend, as they are much more likely to not take their education as seriously as other students.
Yep.

Also, schools with high drop out rates tend to have guidance counselors who focus on teen pregnancy and other issues that stimulate school drop out.  They don't have so many that focus on getting your kid ready for getting into the best program they qualify for higher education, or how to help your kid get a scholarship.  (Basically, "your kid is a "good kid", he never causes trouble, therefore he will be fine..")

The schools with the high drop out rates have more of their programs aimed at keeping kids in (so that they can pad their graduation rolls) instead of helping kids succeed.  

I have to tell you that my kids went to Burke.  The biggest mistake in my life as a parent was not getting them out of OPS.   My youngest son was called a pot head by his middle school principal and we took him to the cops to have a urine test.  It had urine in it.   We fight and fight to get him tested and helped and they kept calling him a pot head and denying that the cops were accurate in their tests.  Turns out of course that the brilliant staff of his school were wrong (guess they didn't go to medical school after all).  He had non-hyperactive ADD.  Too bad that he didn't get much out of middle school.

As for the race card, OPS has a bad habit of creating racism's replacement.  Race Aversion.   No prejudice or attitudes that can be changed easily.  Just a setting where white kids learn that if they get into trouble with a white, asian, or hispanic kid, they will get a share of the blame and punished accordingly.  If they get in trouble with a black kid, they are going to get all the blame and punished accordingly (even if they had nothing  to do with it).   They learn during 9th grade to avoid black people at all costs (even avoiding taking direct routes to class and other innocuous behavior).   By the time they are seniors, my kids had friends of all ethnic groups (but their only black friends were ones from junior high.)

The race aversion is not a racism.  Its a much more difficult problem.   Learned behavior using negative reinforced operand conditioning.  I fear for the future with these kids from OPS (not just Burke).  White kids go on and maybe the decreased frequency of the negative reinforcement causes some extinguishing effect, but I worry that it will never  truly go away, and another generation of gated community inhabitants will be born.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

^^ Your problem is with Burke, not OPS.

Post by Guest »

DeWalt wrote:^^ Your problem is with Burke, not OPS.
Not sure about that.  A friend had similar problems at Northwest.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Anonymous wrote:
Burke + Northwest does NOT = OPS.

I've heard bad things about Benson, too.  But that doesn't mean OPS is bad.

Here's the deal:  If you do NOT like racial diversity of any kind, do NOT send your kids to Central High.  If you don't like Hispanics, do NOT send your kids to Omaha South.  If you don't like blacks, do NOT send your kids to Omaha North.  

On the other hand, I happen to know for a fact that Omaha North is an extremely high-end academic school (actually, it's almost more of 2 schools in one building, but that's a different subject), and that my daughter not only got an incredible education there, but she had absolutely no problems of any kind.  No racial problems.  No neighborhood problems.  No bullying.  No violence.  Nothing.

Of course, I also happen to have a good friend who absolutely HATES Omaha North.  But that might have something to do with the fact that he took a gun to school and got expelled...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

There is at least two law firms dedicated to suing OPS over various federal law violations (typically refusal to hold 504 hearings)

To be fair, Papillion South has been a problem recently in this area also.

OPS tends to focus on the gifted and politically connected kids and does OK by them.  Gifted kids sail through.  Kids who don't cause trouble, and who are below average sink.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

DeWalt wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Burke + Northwest does NOT = OPS.

I've heard bad things about Benson, too.  But that doesn't mean OPS is bad.

Here's the deal:  If you do NOT like racial diversity of any kind, do NOT send your kids to Central High.  If you don't like Hispanics, do NOT send your kids to Omaha South.  If you don't like blacks, do NOT send your kids to Omaha North.  

On the other hand, I happen to know for a fact that Omaha North is an extremely high-end academic school (actually, it's almost more of 2 schools in one building, but that's a different subject), and that my daughter not only got an incredible education there, but she had absolutely no problems of any kind.  No racial problems.  No neighborhood problems.  No bullying.  No violence.  Nothing.

Of course, I also happen to have a good friend who absolutely HATES Omaha North.  But that might have something to do with the fact that he took a gun to school and got expelled...
I read a study a year or so ago that showed students who graduated from "diverse" high schools actually had much higher frequencies of racism.  Seems to coincide with what is seen at many OPS schools.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

joeglow wrote:I read a study a year or so ago that showed students who graduated from "diverse" high schools actually had much higher frequencies of racism.
Huh???????

As one who attended racially-mixed schools from preschool to grad school, I find that questionable.

Are you sure the conclusion was not more along the line that those who attend such schools tend to be more racially aware and aware of racial issues, but not necessarily racist, as in "my race is more worthy" or something like that?

Post by Guest »

Omababe wrote:
joeglow wrote:I read a study a year or so ago that showed students who graduated from "diverse" high schools actually had much higher frequencies of racism.
Huh???????

As one who attended racially-mixed schools from preschool to grad school, I find that questionable.

Are you sure the conclusion was not more along the line that those who attend such schools tend to be more racially aware and aware of racial issues, but not necessarily racist, as in "my race is more worthy" or something like that?
Yep.  Exactly.

A lot of "racism" is eliminated by simple familiarity.  We fear what we don't know.

Post by Guest »

Your Nebraska National Merit Finalists from 2010...

Westside: 4
Millard North: 1
Prep: 1
Papio South: 1
Elkhorn: 1
Skutt: 1
Brownell-Talbot: 1
OPS: 1
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Anonymous wrote:Your Nebraska National Merit Finalists from 2010...

Westside: 4
Millard North: 1
Prep: 1
Papio South: 1
Elkhorn: 1
Skutt: 1
Brownell-Talbot: 1
OPS: 1
Thanks for the irrelevant post, anonymous guest.  National Merit scholars are typically students who work hard on their own to achieve that status.  It's not really a reflection on the school district.  And unless you are personally one of those Finalists, it's pretty pathetic that you latch on to their achievements as though they were your own.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Omababe wrote:
Huh???????

No.  The premise was that there tended to be much more self-segregation in social aspects of school (things like lunch) that led to the development of a greater propensity towards racism.

I agree that it seems counter to what one may expect.  Plus, given that I do not seek out studies in this area, it may have been a poor study (I honestly don't know).
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

joeglow wrote:No.  The premise was that there tended to be much more self-segregation in social aspects of school (things like lunch) that led to the development of a greater propensity towards racism.
That sounds to me more like plain old homogamy, as in like seeks like, jocks eat lunch with jocks, Thespians eat with Thespians, Auto Shop guys eat with Auto Shop guys.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

National Merit Scholar means virtually nothing.

The bottom line is that schools are just like car companies.  They are extremely selective about what they brag about, and are very careful of the wording they use when selling themselves.

I have adjudicated "senior projects" at Westside for a lot of years, and I've gotta say...  I am very UNIMPRESSED with the overwhelming majority of the students there.  They've been told how awesome they are, and how awesome their school is, but in reality they are just dumb.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Guest here... and actually my son was a national merit finalist (not among that list above)... and I do attribute a considerable amount of his success to the schools (Millard) he attended (it's actually 90% based on your PSAT score, by the way).  I think it does say something... that there is only one finalist among the ranks of the school district which represents more than twice the enrollment of the next largest school district.

And yes, ACT composite scores mean something too... especially in the case of Westside, which has something like a 99% rate of participation among it's students... far higher than other metro schools.  To make a blanket statement calling Westside's students 'dumb' does more to suggest that you have some personal issue with the district.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Stargazer wrote:Guest here... and actually my son was a national merit finalist (not among that list above)... and I do attribute a considerable amount of his success to the schools (Millard) he attended (it's actually 90% based on your PSAT score, by the way).  I think it does say something... that there is only one finalist among the ranks of the school district which represents more than twice the enrollment of the next largest school district.

And yes, ACT composite scores mean something too... especially in the case of Westside, which has something like a 99% rate of participation among it's students... far higher than other metro schools.  To make a blanket statement calling Westside's students 'dumb' does more to suggest that you have some personal issue with the district.
When I was looking at schools, I was surprised to see Millard South actually tested better than Westside when looking at the state Department of Education's web site.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Stargazer wrote:Guest here... and actually my son was a national merit finalist (not among that list above)... and I do attribute a considerable amount of his success to the schools (Millard) he attended (it's actually 90% based on your PSAT score, by the way).  I think it does say something... that there is only one finalist among the ranks of the school district which represents more than twice the enrollment of the next largest school district.

Once again, let me remind you that these schools - particularly Westside and Millard - are widely known for the brash and wild arrogance.  They are EXTREMELY selective in what they advertise and promote about themselves.  

So Westside relentlessly pushes its students to take the ACT, then relentlessly tutors them for the test.  So Westside brags about how many of their students take the ACT.  Big deal!  Does that mean the students are smart, or does it mean the school has actually acted in a way that's borderline unethical?  

I've been in and around education for long enough to know that junk like this has VERY LITTLE to do with how smart students are, or what they will accomplish in life.  I'd be more interested to see facts and statistics that show how many Millard and Westside graduates actually fall flat on their faces in college, because suddenly mommy & daddy can't hold their hand and do all their homework, and Dr Daddy's money no longer matters to the school officials.  There's your sign.

By the way, in all the years I've adjudicated Westside Senior Projects, would you like to know how many black students have rolled through the process?  I didn't think so...
Last edited by DeWalt on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

joeglow wrote:

When I was looking at schools, I was surprised to see Millard South actually tested better than Westside when looking at the state Department of Education's web site.
Once again, they are EXTREMELY selective in how they measure success, and what they consider important.

Post by Guest »

and what exactly is 'tested better' ?   Realizing too... even the 'South High of Millard'... is no... well, 'South High'. ;)
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Anonymous wrote:and what exactly is 'tested better' ?   Realizing too... even the 'South High of Millard'... is no... well, 'South High'. ;)
Westside and Millard schools relentlessly push their students to "test well."  But that does not mean said students think well, or are smart.  It just means that they've been relentlessly pushed to "test well."

Keep in mind, too, that most of these "standards" are set up by the Education Association, which is a giant Union, which is first and foremost about MONEY.  And what school districts in Nebraska have MONEY?  Westside and Millard.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

DeWalt wrote:
Anonymous wrote:and what exactly is 'tested better' ?   Realizing too... even the 'South High of Millard'... is no... well, 'South High'. ;)
Westside and Millard schools relentlessly push their students to "test well."  But that does not mean said students think well, or are smart.  It just means that they've been relentlessly pushed to "test well."

Keep in mind, too, that most of these "standards" are set up by the Education Association, which is a giant Union, which is first and foremost about MONEY.  And what school districts in Nebraska have MONEY?  Westside and Millard.
Well the power grab by OPS - then later by the "learning community" after OPS was rebuffed, was clearly about redistributing property taxes from the Westside, Millard, and Elkhorn districts to OPS.  Whether you believe throwing more money at so-called underprivileged schools is 'fair' or not - you could certainly understand why people living in those districts would be resentful.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

HuskerDave wrote:
DeWalt wrote:

Well the power grab by OPS - then later by the "learning community" after OPS was rebuffed, was clearly about redistributing property taxes from the Westside, Millard, and Elkhorn districts to OPS.  Whether you believe throwing more money at so-called underprivileged schools is 'fair' or not - you could certainly understand why people living in those districts would be resentful.
Yet you don't understand that people in OPS might not be resentful of people who are upwardly mobile enough to escape the problems of living in the city and create special school districts based on location? Why was it ok for other cities in Nebraska to adhere to "one city, one school district" but not Omaha? It is unfair to have these separate districts in the same city. Taking resources from the areas where they are needed more only compounds the problems for OPS.
DTO
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

DTO Luv wrote:
HuskerDave wrote:
DeWalt wrote:

Yet you don't understand that people in OPS might not be resentful of people who are upwardly mobile enough to escape the problems of living in the city and create special school districts based on location? Why was it ok for other cities in Nebraska to adhere to "one city, one school district" but not Omaha? It is unfair to have these separate districts in the same city. Taking resources from the areas where they are needed more only compounds the problems for OPS.
So when someone works hard and manages to move away from an area they don't want to live, to somewhere they do want to live, perhaps to a better house, perhaps to what they perceive are better schools for their children - they aren't being fair to those who prefer to sit and wallow, gnashing their teeth at how unfair life is for them?  Is that really what you're saying?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

DTO Luv wrote:
HuskerDave wrote:
DeWalt wrote:

YOur leaving out a few schools and it is not one city one school

Districs included

Bennington
Douglas Co West
Elkhorn
Gretna
Millard
Omaha
Ralston
Westside
Bellevue
Papillion LaVista
Sout Sarpy
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

HuskerDave wrote:So when someone works hard and manages to move away from an area they don't want to live, to somewhere they do want to live, perhaps to a better house, perhaps to what they perceive are better schools for their children - they aren't being fair to those who prefer to sit and wallow, gnashing their teeth at how unfair life is for them?  Is that really what you're saying?
Actually Dave, that is not necessarily the case.  I will NEVER live in the vanilla cookie-cutter suburbs.  There is NOTHING about the suburbs that appeals to me.  And don't get me wrong.  I'm highly educated, have been in the same profession for over 25 years, and my wife is a highly intelligent person who works full-time and makes a very good income.  It's not that I can't get to the wealthy suburbs.  I REFUSE to.

That said...  When you have large numbers of two-income, money-seeker families that move into an area, and DEMAND that all their money and all their taxes gets spent on THEMSELVES, said people breed resentment - especially when they're so danged arrogant.

Post by Guest »

I live in Millard and have no problem with sharing a small portion of my taxes with those districts which don't benefit from having the same affluent tax base which the suburban districts benefit from ... I think it's better for the metro as a whole.