Good gym??

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

heyimjason
New to the Neighborhood

Good gym??

Post by heyimjason »

Hi there.  I'm joining a gym next week and I'm still not quite sure which to go with.  I don't need anything fancy - I'm fine with treadmills and weight machines and free weights.  I want something that's open 24/7.  Most importantly, I want to find a gym that won't be packed around 5 or 6 pm (or 6 or 7 am).  I don't like working out with much more than a handful of people around... guess I'm used to small, privately owned gyms.  The only gym I was an active member at in Omaha was Physique Gym on 156th and Maple, but they're closed now.

Of course, I want something clean, with modern equipment, and not too small of a place.  I was about to sign up at 24 Hour Fitness on 144th and F, but when I went by around 7 am, there had to be about 30 vehicles out there.    :shock:

Anyways, any input is appreciated.  I'm excited about getting back into the gym, and my job is paying the membership fees, and I'd like to start within a week.
"I finally figured out what email is for.  It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to."  -George Carlin
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'd check out the Pinnacle Club Downtown on 20th and Douglas.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

First off, which part of Town.? You said 144th and F and DTO suggested something Downtown.

Second, good luck finding places that are not packed during peak times, especially right after the new year when everyone is on the new year resolution kick.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Ahh, the elusive not big but not small, with modern equipment but just free weights and treadmills, must be open 24 hours but not busy when I'm there during traditional peak hours gym.  

Oh yeah, they're all over the place for $20 a month. ;):
Stable genius.
heyimjason
New to the Neighborhood

Post by heyimjason »

As far as location goes, I'm not too picky.  Preferably nothing east of 72nd or west of 156th, nothing north of Maple or south of Harrison.  Pretty broad range.

Yeah - I forgot about all the New Year's resolutioners.  That's going to be annoying.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for a week, until I pick a gym.  Wouldn't be so picky if gyms didn't make you sign contracts.  Guess I can see why they do it though - half the people who join gyms probably don't actually want to work out.
"I finally figured out what email is for.  It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to."  -George Carlin
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Have you looked at Fitness Premier?  If there is one in the area you are looking at that might have everything you need except the 24/7

Otherwise 24 hour fitness or prairie life are going to be two decent options, however lacking some of your criteria.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

We go to the Y at 132nd and Center.  it also is the only omaha Y with a climbing wall.  It's certainly no lifetime fitness, but it suits our needs perfectly.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I used to be a member at the Fitness Premier at 156th and Maple.  I thought it was great.  It was very clean, affordable and the staff was very friendly.  In my opinion, it was about the perfect size.  They had everything one would need to get a good workout in.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone.
heyimjason
New to the Neighborhood

Post by heyimjason »

Haven't seen Fitness Premier yet, but I'm making a short list of gyms to check out in person this week.  Thanks, I'll check them out too.

Still looking for a few others to scope out, too.  :)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

heyimjason wrote:Haven't seen Fitness Premier yet,  
Probably because it's Premier Fitness.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:
heyimjason wrote:Haven't seen Fitness Premier yet,  
Probably because it's Premier Fitness.