Couple questions about Benson

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Couple questions about Benson

Post by Bosco55David »

So I've been thinking that when I get back to Omaha I'd like to (possibly) move into the Benson area, but I got a few questions.

First, what are the actual borders of the Benson neighborhood? Neither OmahaWiki nor Wikipedia had this information.

Next, what is the area like now as far as crime goes? From what I remember it was a pretty decent neighborhood when we lived there but that some of the bad elements had started to migrate there. Am I incorrect, or have things changed since then?

And just for giggles, what kind of prices would I be looking at for the following.

- 1 bedroom apartment
- 2 bedroom apartment
- 2 bedroom/1 bath home.

Thanks in advance everyone.

- Eric
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I had a friend that just sold her house in Benson.

2 Bed
1 Bath
2 Car Garage
Kitchen
Dining Room
Living Room
Full Basement
Complete Remodeled
$80,000

Crime... She moved because her neighbor answered his door and was shot in the face.

However, I thought about buying it...
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Sounds like a good deal on that house. Down here, it would cost over $100k easy I'm sure.

Now this shooting, was it an isolated incident or would you say that kind of crime is more of a regular occurrence there?

I'm pursuing a career in law enforcement, and I'm pretty aware of my surroundings and well armed ( :mrgreen: ) so I don't need the perfect neighborhood, but I'll have my mother and brother coming up and spending time there as well so I want them to be safe.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bosco55David wrote:Sounds like a good deal on that house. Down here, it would cost over $100k easy I'm sure.

Now this shooting, was it an isolated incident or would you say that kind of crime is more of a regular occurrence there?

I'm pursuing a career in law enforcement, and I'm pretty aware of my surroundings and well armed ( :mrgreen: ) so I don't need the perfect neighborhood, but I'll have my mother and brother coming up and spending time there as well so I want them to be safe.
It was a very mixed neighborhood.  99% of the really bad stuff was bout a mile to the east.

As far as law enforcement, http://www.joinopd.com/
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Thanks for the info Brad.

OPD is what I have my eye on. Just waiting until they start accepting the apps.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bosco55David wrote:Thanks for the info Brad.

OPD is what I have my eye on. Just waiting until they start accepting the apps.
Only 6 days a way...

I heard they had over 1000 people take the test last time around.  I signed up, but never followed through because I had so much planned last summer I just worried I would miss it all.  I don't have anything planned yet this summer, so I might sign up again.  I know I would love the job, I am just not sure I want to loose the flexibility I have with my current job.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

From my understanding they are looking to hire 42 this year. Most of the 1000 fail the written/physical tests or just withdraw themselves. On one of the police forums I visit, it appeared that everyone who made it through the hiring process was given a spot in the academy.

You wouldn't believe how tough it is to get into law enforcement down here.
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: Couple questions about Benson

Post by Omababe »

Bosco55David wrote:First, what are the actual borders of the Benson neighborhood? Neither OmahaWiki nor Wikipedia had this information.
Interesting, because some friends of mine were discussing this just the other day. The borders don't seem to be officially set, but everybody agreed that the west border is 72nd. and the south border is Blondo. Nobody seems to agree on east and north borders, even some people who live in Benson. Some say 52nd. on the east, some say Radial Highway, some say as far east as 40th. Ames was mentioned as the north border but got quite a bit of discussion, since part of Benson Park is north of Ames.

Post by Guest »

That would be my definition as well... 72nd to Radial... Blondo to Ames.  Of course it would be interesting to know what the actual 'city limits' of Benson were.

Leads me to... Elkhorn people whining about how they've lost their identity with the annexation.  Yet, look at 'Millard'.  It is MANY times larger today than the actual city ever was.  Not only is it's identity alive and well... it's larger than ever.  Obviously Benson's identity remains strong as well.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Anonymous wrote:That would be my definition as well... 72nd to Radial... Blondo to Ames.  Of course it would be interesting to know what the actual 'city limits' of Benson were.

Leads me to... Elkhorn people whining about how they've lost their identity with the annexation.  Yet, look at 'Millard'.  It is MANY times larger today than the actual city ever was.  Not only is it's identity alive and well... it's larger than ever.  Obviously Benson's identity remains strong as well.
I don't think it was identity that most of the vocal ones were taking issue with...... now back to regularly scheduled programming.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Here's a good website with info about the Benson-Ames area....

http://www.benson-ames.org/

There are alot of good things planned for the area, but I suspect it will take a while for them to be realized. I've lived close to Benson for many years, a little southeast, and don't really ever feel unsafe. Sure there have been a few people shot over the years, and there has been an recent increase in robberies/burglaries city-wide, but overall I don't think the neighborhood is any unsafer than it was 15 years ago.

We need more people like you to move into the neighborhood, instead of West-O.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Thanks for the info everyone!

GetUrban, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters. Great information! I will definitely be moving into East Omaha. As you know, I lived off 41st and Ames and even though it was a "rough" area for the later years, East Omaha is still my favorite part. Of course alot of that has to do with the fact I prefer urban vs. suburban, but still, I love East Omaha.
Paul Bunyan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Paul Bunyan »

Bosco55David wrote:Thanks for the info everyone!

GetUrban, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters. Great information! I will definitely be moving into East Omaha. As you know, I lived off 41st and Ames and even though it was a "rough" area for the later years, East Omaha is still my favorite part. Of course alot of that has to do with the fact I prefer urban vs. suburban, but still, I love East Omaha.
I'd concur with you about loving East Omaha.  To me, it just has so much more character.  

I live North of Benson - closer to the Sorensen Plaza (72nd & Sorensen Pkwy), but love Benson.  In fact, one of my sons - who lives in Minneapolis - wants to move down and get a house in Benson after he gets married this summer.  And, as you know, there are some absolutely gorgeous houses and neighborhoods in Benson.

Considering the size of what is considered Benson, it's no surprise that you can get into a few really nasty areas.  But there are also some high-end areas.  One thing my sons loves (and I do too) about the area is that there are so many brick Tudor houses.  They may not be real big, but they're really cool.

I think that if you're young (as you apparently are), you might want to consider being within walking distance of the downtown Benson area (Maple Street, between 56th & about 62nd).  There are a lot of cool night-life things going on there, and it's actually becoming more and more of that sort of area.  Walking would be easier than finding places to park!

Good luck!  Holler when you're moving back - I'll pick you up and take you to Hartland BBQ (54th & Maple) to fill your gut!   :D
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Paul Bunyan wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:Thanks for the info everyone!

I'd concur with you about loving East Omaha.  To me, it just has so much more character.  

I live North of Benson - closer to the Sorensen Plaza (72nd & Sorensen Pkwy), but love Benson.  In fact, one of my sons - who lives in Minneapolis - wants to move down and get a house in Benson after he gets married this summer.  And, as you know, there are some absolutely gorgeous houses and neighborhoods in Benson.

Considering the size of what is considered Benson, it's no surprise that you can get into a few really nasty areas.  But there are also some high-end areas.  One thing my sons loves (and I do too) about the area is that there are so many brick Tudor houses.  They may not be real big, but they're really cool.

I think that if you're young (as you apparently are), you might want to consider being within walking distance of the downtown Benson area (Maple Street, between 56th & about 62nd).  There are a lot of cool night-life things going on there, and it's actually becoming more and more of that sort of area.  Walking would be easier than finding places to park!

Good luck!  Holler when you're moving back - I'll pick you up and take you to Hartland BBQ (54th & Maple) to fill your gut!   :D
Thanks Paul, that sounds great!  :mrgreen: I'll be 23 this August so I'm still a young pup.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

If I had a way to get back and forth from there I would frequent Benson much more often. I was surprised by how gay friendly it was the last time I was out there.
DTO

Post by Guest »

My mom has often talked about taking the streetcar from Benson to downtown to go shopping at department stores with her mother.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Browsing Wiki today I found that someone updated the Omaha page listing the borders of Benson as "Fontenelle Boulevard to North 72nd Street, Ames to Western Avenue."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborho ... ghborhoods
Midtown Gal
Home Owners Association

Post by Midtown Gal »

You should also consider Country Club (located between Dundee and Benson).  My husband I and I just got a serious steal on a great house there.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Western ave?

I would say Blondo...
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Midtown Gal wrote:You should also consider Country Club (located between Dundee and Benson).  My husband I and I just got a serious steal on a great house there.
I don't remember much about Country Club from when I lived in Omaha, but it's worth considering. Right now Midtown and Benson are my two target areas but when I'm up there applying for OPD I'll check out Country Club too.
Persp73
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Persp73 »

Bosco55David wrote:Browsing Wiki today I found that someone updated the Omaha page listing the borders of Benson as "Fontenelle Boulevard to North 72nd Street, Ames to Western Avenue."
This corresponds with what the Benson Neighborhood Association has on their webpage.

http://www.bensonnebraska.com/BNA.html
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Persp73 wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:Browsing Wiki today I found that someone updated the Omaha page listing the borders of Benson as "Fontenelle Boulevard to North 72nd Street, Ames to Western Avenue."
This corresponds with what the Benson Neighborhood Association has on their webpage.

http://www.bensonnebraska.com/BNA.html
Well that's interesting. Thanks for the info!
Melissa
Home Owners Association

Post by Melissa »

I'll chip in my two cents worth to keep the Aksarben area in mind when you're searching for a place to live.  Really though, there are tons of fantastic neighborhoods and homes at reasonable prices east of 72nd.  You really can't go wrong.  Even the less popular areas will have plenty of pros.
“Auditors are the people who show up after the battle and stab the wounded.”
Bill O'Rights
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Bill O'Rights »

I have lived in the Benson area for the past 10 years and have never felt unsafe. I love Benson. There is a character and a diversity here that you will not find out in west O. In west Omaha you have the same 5 house designs, painted in the same 5 color schemes, with the same 5 make and model of cars parked in the driveway and inhabited by the same age demographic. OK, I know that I'm over generalizing, and no offense intended to west O residents, but I do find that...boring. Now, I'm no big fan of houses that are painted purple, but even that is a little more preferable to the same 5 shades of beige.

I live at 65th and Spencer, and I can say that I have the best neighbors here that I have ever had. When a tree fell, due to a sudden wind storm a few years back, everyone came out with whatever saws they could manage, and made usable firewood of that sucker within an hour and a half. When the power was out, due to that same windstorm, we all gathered and had a huge cookout and block-party. During this past Christmas blizzard, 3 of us with snow blowers had the entire neighborhood's sidewalks and driveways cleared. In short, we step out of our homes and look out for each other. Add that to the affordable housing, and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

The Maple street corridor does need a bit of a makeover, but that's happening. Albeit in spits and spurts.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Let's keep this thread about Benson please - Urban vs Suburb posts will be deleted.