beaches

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

megs0310

beaches

Post by megs0310 »

Want to take my daughter to a beach to go swimming...we just moved to Gretna, any good ideas?  I found Linoma Beach online...thoughts? fun? Thanks for all of your help!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

There are smaller beaches on some of the local lakes and rivers.  I've never been to Linoma Beach but there's one at Two Rivers State Park and from what I hear there are also beaches at the Fremont Lakes, Branched Oak and Pawnee lakes.  Those aren't necessarily that close, but the best recommendations I've got.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lake Manawa in Council Bluffs has a big one.  I hear Linoma is really good.  Louisville State Recreation Area is close to Gretna and has one.
Last edited by Brad on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Brad wrote:Lake Manawa in Council Bluffs has a big one.  I hear Linoma is really good.  Louisville State Recreation Area is close to Gretna and has one.
Too bad if she googles that she'll never find it. Try Lake Manawa.
DTO
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Linoma beach is fun but is extremely dangerous.  I have almost been landed on by people jumping off the icebergs multiple times.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Linkin's right. It's pretty dangerous, but it's fun. Just stay away from the big blow up things. They also have a small bar and seafood restaurant there. (I thought it was pretty good)
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

S33 wrote:Linkin's right. It's pretty dangerous, but it's fun. Just stay away from the big blow up things. They also have a small bar and seafood restaurant there. (I thought it was pretty good)
I believe the restaurant close last fall and has not reopened.  Prior to last fall it had been open year around.

If memory serves me correctly there was a fatality at this beach a few years back on the "big blowup thing" where someone went off and under it and did not make it.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

nebugeater wrote:
S33 wrote:Linkin's right. It's pretty dangerous, but it's fun. Just stay away from the big blow up things. They also have a small bar and seafood restaurant there. (I thought it was pretty good)
I believe the restaurant close last fall and has not reopened.  Prior to last fall it had been open year around.
Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on eating there this summer!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Another tragedy at Linoma Beach

With or without this death this is one place I will never take my kids to.  Way too uncontrolled, unsafe and at time crowded.  

Birthday event turns to tragedy

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090723/NEWS01/707239932
On the four-year anniversary of the drowning death of a young man at Linoma Beach near Gretna, a second man drowned there Wednesday afternoon, despite efforts to rescue him.

He had been celebrating his 35th birthday.

After a friend reported Derrick Broxton of Lincoln missing about 2 p.m., rescue workers who went to the scene asked bystanders to form a human chain to search for him.

Megan Brown, 17, said more than 50 people joined hands and inched forward until they couldn’t go deeper

At that point, the rescue workers called the people back and asked anyone who happened to be a certified lifeguard to tread water and search for the man. The lake’s Web site says it staffs no lifeguards of its own...............................................
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!