Why Omaha?

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

ad2330 wrote:Grew up in Omaha, attended UNL and since relocated to DFW.  I currently live in Fort Worth, TX about a mile from TCU, and have for the past 2 1/2 years.  Fort Worth is a great city, especially the downtown, but I'm longing to get back to Omaha and will have the opportunity to do so in the spring.  Moving away has given me the greatest appreciation for what Omaha has to offer.  Such a great size and EASY going life.  People think big cities are so amazing but I'm telling you, it's just controlled chaos (not always controlled).  Don't even get me going on TRAFFIC.  If Omaha could pick up a professional team, whether it be NBA, NFL, NHL, MLS, MLB or whatever, I think we'd considerably raise the bar as a city.  It would provide such great entertainment and camaraderie among our city.  Every time I come home I see something new that has popped up and from my college days, Lincoln downtown has absolutely taken off!  Anyways, Omaha is great and once I move back I don't plan on ever leaving again.  What a great place to call home!
I totally agree...I have gained such a great appreciation for what the Omaha metro has to offer.  I moved to Dubuque, IA and currently Cedar Rapids, IA, and although I like the mix of cities in eastern Iowa, they pale in comparison to Omaha.  I am also looking forward to moving back to Omaha this winter/spring, once I get a job.  I realize that I took many things for granted when I lived in Omaha previously.  It is just all the little things of having different restaurants to eat at, concerts and games at the CenturyLink Center, Vala's pumpkin patch to visit, the zoo, Holiday Lighting Festival and fireworks and so much more.  Another thing that I have noticed is the lack of public art in the other cities.  Sometimes I know that I didn't appreciate the public art in Omaha, but Cedar Rapids for one has a lack of any public art.  Omaha does have a lot more traffic than either of these cities but the roads are designed much better (interstates to get around instead of highways and regular city streets).  I didn't realize how much of a difference the interstate makes for getting around town until I moved.  The stop and go traffic on city streets just to get to work gets to be a pain.  Overall I am very anxious to move back to what I and many others feel is a great hidden gem of a city in Omaha.  I am very excited for the direction that Omaha has headed over the past decade and anxious to be a part of an excellent community with great future growth.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

There should be a medical name for the syndrome that afflicts a native Omahan who moves away and then comes to realize how special a place Omaha really is.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Cranky Redneck

Post by Cranky Redneck »

My family has been in the area a decade before there was an Omaha.  I miss some of the...seedy edginess of the old (pre90s) Omaha and I rarely venture west of 42nd St.  Everything west of 84th St is all bland and unknown Linoma to me. Downtown outside of the old market didn't used to be such a ghost town though and while I can appreciate the attempts at downtown redevelopment it sure seems like the working class are getting the short end of the stick in favor of cappucino swilling hipsters and gentrifying yuppies. Yes, I lamented the loss of the Aero Rooms the same way I did when they tore down the Delmar, the Irwin, Jobber's Canyon, and a lot of other things that used to make Omaha Omaha.  Without the Antiquarium I rarely go to the old market anymore but at least the bohunk and 11-worth cafes are still around. I guess that's something. A shame the 11-Worth ain't open all night anymore though.
erik2

Post by erik2 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:There should be a medical name for the syndrome that afflicts a native Omahan who moves away and then comes to realize how special a place Omaha really is.
How about |expletive|-slapped by reality?  I heard some friends talk about how much they hate the cold and decided to take them outside when it was 28 degrees. I made the statement that it wasn't very cold and they agreed.  they admitted they climate-bash Omaha cause that is the common thing to do.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:There should be a medical name for the syndrome that afflicts a native Omahan who moves away and then comes to realize how special a place Omaha really is.
Does this syndrome also apply to people who as, 15 year old kids, were dragged away to the hellish state of Florida by their parents and never really wanted to leave to begin with?  :mrgreen:
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yes. Anyone can be afflicted.  :;):
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

For crying out loud Bosco, when are you going to finally move back here??
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
samizdat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by samizdat »

Cranky Redneck wrote:My family has been in the area a decade before there was an Omaha.  I miss some of the...seedy edginess of the old (pre90s) Omaha and I rarely venture west of 42nd St.  Everything west of 84th St is all bland and unknown Linoma to me. Downtown outside of the old market didn't used to be such a ghost town though and while I can appreciate the attempts at downtown redevelopment it sure seems like the working class are getting the short end of the stick in favor of cappucino swilling hipsters and gentrifying yuppies. Yes, I lamented the loss of the Aero Rooms the same way I did when they tore down the Delmar, the Irwin, Jobber's Canyon, and a lot of other things that used to make Omaha Omaha.  Without the Antiquarium I rarely go to the old market anymore but at least the bohunk and 11-worth cafes are still around. I guess that's something. A shame the 11-Worth ain't open all night anymore though.
Cranky Redneck, I have never agreed with a post more... on any forum. My natural habitat is South Omaha, but I have migrated to Midtown. Antiquarium is probably the only reason I have to go to the Old Market, except for the possibility of Jackson Street Books. I still lament the loss of the original Antiquarium and Drastic Plastic turning into an ironic T-shirt shop. I think that west Omaha is a mythical forest where a fairy gives you a $5 Red Mango gift card upon entrance. I'm not sure, because I've never tried going there - I don't like frozen yogurt.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

samizdat wrote:I think that west Omaha is a mythical forest where a fairy gives you a $5 Red Mango gift card upon entrance. I'm not sure, because I've never tried going there - I don't like frozen yogurt.
Haha, while my wife and I are solid midtowners, but she loves Red Mango! Of course, she usually goes to the one in North Downtown.

I think you are being generous calling West O a forest, though; the trees aren't that big yet!
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Stargazer wrote:For crying out loud Bosco, when are you going to finally move back here??
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that will happen now as there are other considerations in my life.
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

Do tell, Bosco.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Bosco55David wrote:
Stargazer wrote:For crying out loud Bosco, when are you going to finally move back here??
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that will happen now as there are other considerations in my life.

OK, what's her name?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

"her"
Stable genius.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

We can convert her to Omahaism.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Axel wrote:We can convert her to Omahaism.
That's not completely out of the realm of possibility. She doesn't really want to go back to a cold climate (she is from PA) but I think she could be persuaded. She is only half the equation though because as I mentioned in the helicopter thread, the dream I am chasing now won't be putting me in Omaha.

We'll see what happens though.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I recently just moved back to the area after having lived in Dubuque, IA and Cedar Rapids, IA for the past 3 years.  I will first start out by saying that each of these cities have some good things to offer.  Dubuque: the views of the Mississippi River with the bluffs, and all the historic homes and buildings in the downtown area.  Cedar Rapids: a continued redevelopment effort (mostly the result of federal and state funding the city received as a result of the 2008 flood).

But from the moment I moved away, I couldn't help but think how great it would be to move back to Omaha.  I am extremely excited to have recently gotten a job in the Old Market and get to experience that on a daily basis.  There is definitely a "buzz" in Omaha that I feel when discussing the past history, present development and the potential future growth that the city could have.  I did not get this feeling in the other cities.  

The only thing I need further is my finance to get a teaching job and be able to move here as well, regardless we are looking at finding a place in the Omaha metro this summer.  I can't wait to get to be a part of the community again.  The city has come a long way in the past 10-15 years and I look forward to continue to see it grow and develop into a great family friendly urban environment.

I would like to thank everyone on this forum for posting updates and photos that kept me in touch with the metro and its happenings while I was away and unable to experience them firsthand.  I definitely feel that it has contributed to me realizing what I moved away from and how great it is going to be to move back for our October wedding, and eventually raising a family in Omaha.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

People get used to things, theres no doubt about it.  Particularly when you grow up somewhere you develop some affinity for it.  I don't think there are necessarily any more folks who want to get back to Omaha than anywhere else, we just know those stories.  There are just as many likely that are more than happy they left and don't look back.  

Of course, this from someone who is not a native, and will probably move out one day again.  In the meantime, however, its a great place to be and call home.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Why Omaha?

Post by skinzfan23 »

Another reason I love Omaha. I just went for a walk through the Old Market and a police officer on a horse was taking the horse for a walk. He realized that there were two little girls starring at the horse. He went out of his way to go over to them and they were so excited. They said it was the first time they had ever been close to a horse. The officer was very polite and talked to them about school and where they were from. In many other cities, the police could care less about the "everyday" person. But in this instance, the officer just made those girls day.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Another reason I love Omaha. I just went for a walk through the Old Market and a police officer on a horse was taking the horse for a walk. He realized that there were two little girls starring at the horse. He went out of his way to go over to them and they were so excited. They said it was the first time they had ever been close to a horse. The officer was very polite and talked to them about school and where they were from. In many other cities, the police could care less about the "everyday" person. But in this instance, the officer just made those girls day.
That's awesome.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

An interesting article about the cost of housing increase that references Omaha as one of the biggest culprits.

https://apple.news/Ah2bKepZbSwOr7QMd40SiWg
#gohawks
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Even one of the crappiest livable houses I've seen on Zillow has changed hands a few times since 2016 and sold from as little as 25,000 to now on the market for 62,000, all for the cost of a new roof, vinyl siding, HVAC, and paint slapped on the walls. Maybe a $20,000 investment. This is a 984 sf house in the heart of the hood.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

IMO, you never want to buy a "flip." It's best to check the purchase history and see if anyone only owned it for a month or two. Flippers tend to just slap up the cheapest of everything in the cheapest possible way.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

ChadJK wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:40 am IMO, you never want to buy a "flip." It's best to check the purchase history and see if anyone only owned it for a month or two. Flippers tend to just slap up the cheapest of everything in the cheapest possible way.
I think it depends. We own a flip and it's been a good house. Maybe it was because our realtor is also in the business of developing property, but he was able to tell us what to look for in a quality rehab and what were hack jobs.

This doesn't speak for the flipping community in Omaha, but I have colleagues in St. Louis who own or operate development companies in the business of rehabbing homes. A lot do quality work, but some are hacks.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:51 am Even one of the crappiest livable houses I've seen on Zillow has changed hands a few times since 2016 and sold from as little as 25,000 to now on the market for 62,000, all for the cost of a new roof, vinyl siding, HVAC, and paint slapped on the walls. Maybe a $20,000 investment. This is a 984 sf house in the heart of the hood.
ChadJK wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:40 am IMO, you never want to buy a "flip." It's best to check the purchase history and see if anyone only owned it for a month or two. Flippers tend to just slap up the cheapest of everything in the cheapest possible way.
The house I reference was first bought for 25,000 and nothing was done to it but paint on the walls, and it sold for 45,000. Whoever put up the paint made a killing on this place. Then whoever bought it for 45,000 put on the siding, roof, and hvac in, and is listing it for 62,000, only 17,000 on at least a 12,000-15,000 improvement. The person who made the actual improvements (as cheap as they might be) got hosed. This is still just a 45,000 house, at best. Whoever is listing it now will be lucky not to lose all of that investment.