Lofty in downtown Omaha?

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Lofty in downtown Omaha?

Post by Guest »

I'm moving to Omaha from the Northwest in June, and trying to find something loft-esque, perhaps around the Old Market area as I hear that's a neat part of town, and easily commutable to where I'll be working.  I'd prefer in-unit W/D, forced air, not especially loud, and two-bedrooms.  My budget is $1200/month.

So, hate to do this again on this board, but: any suggestions?

Specifically, I looked online at a place called Tip Top which looks like it could either be really neat or similar to living in a Chuck E. Cheese.  Does anyone have any experience there?  I've also looked into Old Market Lofts, Joslyn Lofts, and The Riley Building.

Thanks all!
drknockboot
New to the Neighborhood

Post by drknockboot »

Apologies - that last post was from me (I thought I was signed in).  Please feel free to respond on the board or PM me.  Thanks!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I would check out the Cornerstone on 11th and Harney.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Call a real estate agent, too.  Most of them are doubling as rental agents anymore.  There's lots of owned but empty units looking for renters.

PM me if you want some names and numbers.
Stable genius.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Tip Top is cool, but you'd probably find it to be kind of noisy, since many Creighton students live there.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

They're not a "lofts" in the official sense of the word (a converted warehouse, industrial building), but the buildings that our landlord has are renovated old apartment buildings.  They're in Midtown very near MTC.  The company is called Urban Village (uvomaha.com).  My wife and I seemed impressed and our one-bedroom was very affordable for the quality.  If you look around, there are plenty of other vintage apartment buildings in Midtown.
Last edited by Seth on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Seth wrote:They're not a "lofts" in the official sense of the word (a converted warehouse, industrial building), but the buildings that our landlord has are renovated hold apartment buildings.  They're in Midtown very near MTC.  The company is called Urban Village (uvomaha.com).  My wife and I seemed impressed and our one-bedroom was very affordable for the quality.  If you look around, there are plenty of other vintage apartment buildings in Midtown.
Wow, most of those are really nice for the price.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

The Tip Top is missing out on a very amazing opportunity by not filming a commercial with a jingle to the tune of Ke$ha's Tik Tok. Honestly, that slutty song fits the building quite well.
drknockboot
New to the Neighborhood

Post by drknockboot »

justnick wrote:The Tip Top is missing out on a very amazing opportunity by not filming a commercial with a jingle to the tune of Ke$ha's Tik Tok. Honestly, that slutty song fits the building quite well.
Shoot, in that case maybe I'm more interested in The Tip Top than I realized.

A little more research and I'm thinking Midtown may be a better/more affordable fit, and closer to where I'll be working at UNMC.  Any other suggestions for great places in that area?  Looking for 2 bedrooms, under $1200.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

With that price range you can go pretty much anywhere you want. In Midtown especially you will have way more options to choose from so it's kind of hard to recommend any one place unless having prior experience with it.
DTO
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Like others have said, you have a lot to choose from in Midtown.  My wife and I were constrained to places that allowed pets and I still found enough places within a mile of Kiewit to fill a day of showings.

A couple specific places you might want to check out are some neat old buildings, one being the Colbert which is managed by JP Morgan: http://www.pjmorgan.com/ourlistings-res ... ea&area=mt  It hasn't had much remodeling done since it was built in the 1910's, so it does show its age.  The apartments are HUGE though.  I also just noticed the Underwood building on their site, which is in Dundee (just west of Midtown and only a mile from UNMC); it looks amazing and might be worth checking out.

This landlord also has some affordable vintage buildings too: http://www.dudarealty.com/listings.cfm

After you have a list from searching online, it's a good idea to ask each landlord you call if they have anything else or know of any other places.  A lot of them manage a number of buildings or will even refer you to other properties.  When my wife and I were looking, most people I talked to were willing to suggest other places after I told them what we were looking for.  You might even talk to NP Dodge, as they advertise some rentals.

If you want new and snazzy, Midtown Crossing has a few 2-bedrooms still available.  They're just under you're $1200 budget, but the $75/month garage parking will put you over (unless you don't need a car or are OK parking on the street a block or two away).  I was really surprised how quickly they leased out as there are some in Building 7 that aren't even completed yet!
drknockboot
New to the Neighborhood

Post by drknockboot »

You guys are great.  So far, what I hear about friendly people in the midwest is true.  

Can anyone tell me where exactly the "downtown" area of Dundee is?  Is there like a main street that most things are located?  I really think I'd like to be able to walk to restaurants/bars/coffee shops/groceries/etc. if possible.  

And I agree, the Midtown Crossing places look nice, but might be a touch out of my price range for a 2-bedroom (and can't say I'm crazy about their layouts, though the giant windows look like they'd be great).

Thanks yet again!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The heart of Dundee is 50th and Underwood with businesses east and west on Underwood.
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

drknockboot wrote:You guys are great.  So far, what I hear about friendly people in the midwest is true.  

Can anyone tell me where exactly the "downtown" area of Dundee is?  Is there like a main street that most things are located?  I really think I'd like to be able to walk to restaurants/bars/coffee shops/groceries/etc. if possible.  
I live one block north of 50th & Underwood - the heart of Dundee.  Within easy walking distance (a half mile or so) there are 8-10 restaurants ranging from Subway to an upscale bistro to a late-night falafel/kebab joint, 6+ bars, 2 bakeries including one that gives out free slices on Saturday mornings!, an ice cream parlor, a library, a small quirky movie theater, a coffee shop, an art gallery, a doctor's office, a bank, a great consignment store, both public and private elementary schools, and plenty of green space/parks/trees.  There is a very small grocery store right in the neighborhood but I've found it to have a limited selection and high prices.  Big-name grocery stores can be found within 1-2 miles, which I suppose is walkable, but kind of far with a big load of groceries.  

I LOVE living in Dundee!
WilmaD
New to the Neighborhood

Post by WilmaD »

Is Dundee considered the art-district area? Is it very eclectic with small little boutique shops and bars? I'm brand new to Omaha and trying to learn about the areas. I'd like to buy a home or a loft but don't know the areas well enough to know where to start. Does anyone recommend a good realtor who knows the area? I know there's angie's list realtor reviews but I was wondering if anyone on here personally recommends any?
Last edited by WilmaD on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

WilmaD wrote:Is Dundee considered the art-district area? Is it very eclectic with small little boutique shops and bars? I'm brand new to Omaha and trying to learn about the areas. I'd like to buy a home or a loft but don't know the areas well enough to know where to start.
Here's a photo walk-through I did in Dundee a while back:

http://omababe.blogspot.com/2009/10/vil ... undee.html

Hope this helps. :)
Condo Living Omaha

Places to live downtown

Post by Condo Living Omaha »

Old Market Place is a brand new apartment project in the middle of the Old Market. Call 402-670-1183.

Post by Guest »

I'm looking for some info on the Lofts at 15th -- haven't been able to find many reviews .. anyone here live there / know someone who does?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Anonymous wrote:I'm looking for some info on the Lofts at 15th -- haven't been able to find many reviews .. anyone here live there / know someone who does?
I've never heard of the Lofts at 15th.  Are you talking about Joslyn?  Kimball?

Joslyn Lofts are going condo.  

Kimball "Lofts" are and always have been condo.

I'm drawing a blank on the name of the apartments on the SE corner of 15th and Leavenworth.

I can't think of any other residential on 15th, to be honest.
Stable genius.

Post by Guest »

website @ loftsat15th dot com  at the corner of 15th and Leavenworth, w/ a big vertical sign that simply says "LOFTS" in green.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

There ya go.  Those are the ones I didn't know the name of.
Stable genius.