The Max, DC's, and Flixx

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nittanylionstorm07
New to the Neighborhood

The Max, DC's, and Flixx

Post by nittanylionstorm07 »

Since I can see there are quite a few fellow gays on here, I must ask:  what's your favorite?

I've only lived here since late June, but I have been to all three.  The max was originally my favorite because it seemed easier to meet people, since each bar had its own clientele...but since I found a group of friends, it's changed.  I really, really, really like the atmosphere at DC's, but the several times I've gone there in the past 2 months, it seems as if it is on death's doorstep (though they have great beer prices and selection...yay Pacifico!), so Flixx seems the best option right now with the right mix of people.

I do wonder if anyone else has noticed the recent...how should I say..."changes" at both DCs and the Max....basically, no more basement bar and no more 1st Fridays of the month.... I heard some lady complained, so they stopped it.  (Figures.)  I wonder if that is contributing to the death of DC's?  Or maybe DC's is just better on a Saturday rather than a Friday?

What say you Omaha GLBT?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I haven't been to the gay bars in a long time. Most of last year I was in a relationship so I didn't feel the need to go so I wasn't aware of the decline you speak of. But here are my overall thoughts on each place.

The Max: The only thing I have use for the Max for is dancing and even then it's few and far between. It's almost impossible to get a drink timely there so I would show up blitz and then dance it off. The upstairs can be ok but I've always found it hard to socialize in there so it's an every once in awhile place for me.

DC's: I like it as a bar and the setup isn't over powering like the Max, but it is usually slower which can be nice. There is a different vibe at DC's with things being more "casual" but to hear that it can't be that way anymore makes me wonder if the place will end up hurting. It's probably been a year since I've been there.

Flixx: I can count on one hand with fingers left over the times I've been to Flixx. The first time I went was shortly after the remodel when it was split into Flixx and Chixx. I think this place is probably the most middle of the road out of the big 3 gay bars but I haven't spent much time there so I can't really say much about it.

To be honest, even as a gay person, I don't so much feel the need to go to gay bars. Most of the time I hit up regular bars and I've been told when I drink I tend to "come out" a bit more than I normally do but no one has a problem with it. Even the times I've done drag and gone out it was never to gay bars but regular bars. I'd like to think that most people nowadays don't care. I see many gay couples at bars they probably wouldn't have felt comfortable in before acting no different in their mannerisms or PDA's of straight couples.
DTO
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Glad I'm not missing out, it seems.
I could do better than any of them. Youtube mixes of Judy Garland and Electroclash would be the height of popularity.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

What's the deal with Gnome's Bar? It's got the rainbow flag Budweiser sign.

Anyway, I've been meaning to check it out just since it looks like a fun, quaint bar. Isn't it two levels?

As per the "big three", I've had fun with friends at all of them. As others have noted, they all have their own, unique vibe.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

As the gay geezer on here, I can say that the "bar phase" has come and gone from my life  (I used to hit DC's maybe twice a week when it was on 10th St.).  Now we go out maybe every other month to meet with friends or to enjoy the outdoor patio at The Max in the warmer weather.  I agree with DTO that gay life has gone mainstream in most cities, and it is killing gay bars.  That and the Internet...Facebook, MySpace, Gay.com, etc.  

My favorite bar is probably Myth.  Or if I want to surround myself with a lot of butch types, Connections.  lol
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

I believe Gnomes closed a while back.   I prefer Flixx myself, Max is fun on some nights if you're in the mood to dance minus the cover and they still don't take credit/debit cards.   It does take forever to get a drink in the Max even with there 5 bars.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

Overall atmosphere the Max is still the best club in town.  Yes it can take awhile to get drinks and that is because it can be very busy after certain hours on the weekend.  They don't always have enough help behind the bars but those they do have work hard.  It would be great to have the credit card option but that would just add to the time it takes sometimes.  

Flixx is ok and DCs is cool too.  They all have nights when they are fun and worth visiting.