Moving to Omaha

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NinaMarieXO
New to the Neighborhood

Moving to Omaha

Post by NinaMarieXO »

Hi,

I was sent a link to this forum because my boyfriend and I have decided to accept a job offer near Omaha, NE, but we will be close enough to the city to actually live in it (YAY!). Anyway, we just want some input on neighborhoods and housing to look into. We are in our mid-late twenties and have lived all over the country. We both have a lot of tattoos and love art and music. We have a very friendly very lovable mastiff who is housebroken and rarely barks. We would prefer a place that does not require credit checks (I hate them, a number should not determine your housing eligibility. We've never been evicted or lost a security deposit.) We would like to be close to things to do but don't want to be party central. I'd prefer single home housing, or a house converted to apartments. A townhome may work. Anyway thanks so much for the input ahead of time!
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Midtown! or Downtown!
Really, anywhere but East Omaha or West Omaha. North and South Omaha have there iffy parts, too (but then so does midtown and anywhere else in the universe) so be a bit more weary of those places.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

East Omaha or West Omaha. North and South Omaha have there iffy parts, too (but then so does midtown and anywhere else in the universe
That pretty well sums it up, doesn't it!
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
NinaMarieXO
New to the Neighborhood

Post by NinaMarieXO »

Hahaha I am confused... Really confused. You mentioned all four areas?
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

NinaMarieXO wrote:Hahaha I am confused... Really confused. You mentioned all four areas?
"The well bred contradict other people. The wise contradict themselves."

Basically I'm saying don't move to East or West , and be careful in North and South. Your best bets would be Downtown and Midtown.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I'd throw Benson out there as a place to start looking.  It kind of depends on where out of the city you need to go, and whether you have quick highway/interstate access in that direction, or if you need to drive 30 minutes right across Omaha.
Stable genius.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Dundee might also be an option.  It's just west of Midtown and has a bit of its own downtownish area.
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

You said he got a job near Omaha?  What town exactly?  That could make a difference in where you'd want to live.  Benson/Dundee/Midtown might night be the best place to live for an easy commute, if that matters.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Don't overlook Council Bluffs.  There is a lot happening in their downtown area, and it is only 10 minutes to downtown Omaha.
Midtown Omaha, in the general vicinity of Midtown Crossing/Mutual of Omaha, and areas to the south and west of that offer a huge mix of housing opportunities.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Re: Moving to Omaha

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

NinaMarieXO wrote:Hi,

I was sent a link to this forum because my boyfriend and I have decided to accept a job offer near Omaha, NE, but we will be close enough to the city to actually live in it (YAY!). Anyway, we just want some input on neighborhoods and housing to look into. We are in our mid-late twenties and have lived all over the country. We both have a lot of tattoos and love art and music. We have a very friendly very lovable mastiff who is housebroken and rarely barks. We would prefer a place that does not require credit checks (I hate them, a number should not determine your housing eligibility. We've never been evicted or lost a security deposit.) We would like to be close to things to do but don't want to be party central. I'd prefer single home housing, or a house converted to apartments. A townhome may work. Anyway thanks so much for the input ahead of time!
I don't see anything in this description that would disqualify West Omaha.   Where the job is will make a pretty big difference.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I don't see anything in this description that would disqualify West Omaha.
Maybe tattoos?

No... I kid... I kid!
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
WilmaD
New to the Neighborhood

Post by WilmaD »

What are house prices like in Midtown and Downtown? I've just moved to Omaha and I've always liked the bohemian, cool little areas of cities where there are coffee shops, cool shops, bars and great independent restaurants. It seems these areas usually have old homes with some that have been turned into apartments. Is there such an area in Omaha? I also found a link for realtor reviews at angie's list real estate agents.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Check out http://www.cbshome.com and use the map search.  You will be able to see all MLS listings currently for sale.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

justnick wrote:
NinaMarieXO wrote:Hahaha I am confused... Really confused. You mentioned all four areas?

Basically I'm saying don't move to East or West ....
I don't know why you would suggest they rule out West Omaha.  That's where most people with families are moving to.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

You're new here so I'll bring you up to speed. This site is very urban, city-centric. Most of the views expressed on here are going to be slanted towards the urban parts of the city as opposed to the suburban. Their are vocal suburbanites on here, however, you will find they are in the minority. Fair warning before you set down that path. Welcome to the forum. :)
DTO
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

DTO Luv wrote:You're new here so I'll bring you up to speed. This site is very urban, city-centric. Most of the views expressed on here are going to be slanted towards the urban parts of the city as opposed to the suburban. Their are vocal suburbanites on here, however, you will find they are in the minority. Fair warning before you set down that path. Welcome to the forum. :)
DTO... I had already figured out that you're a big fan of downtown.  Happy to be sharing the forum with you - though I'm ready to be a big proponent of West O.  We may have to agree to disagree on things from time to time.

HuskerDave.

:music:  :music:  :music:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

HuskerDave wrote: - though I'm ready to be a big proponent of West O.  
I should have guessed. No self respecting urbanite would use "husker" in a handle :lol: Just as long as you don't have a thin skin you'll be fine.
DTO