Omaha liquor stores

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

chicagoan
New to the Neighborhood

Omaha liquor stores

Post by chicagoan »

First post this board so be gentle.  I wanted to get a feel from people on where they shop for their alcohol in the Omaha area.  I noticed this Brix place just opened and I am familiar with Spirit World as well.  These places seem to have their own niche and identity as they not only sell alcohol but also have wine tastings, serve food and in some cases have a bar inside.  Do people shop for the alcohol in places like these or just simply go to the grocery stores for their products?  Would a place like Binny's (I am from Chicago) do well in Omaha?  A place to just buy alcohol with an enormous selection and extremely clean environment (of course great locations play into everything).  I am interested on you feedback.  Thanks everyone in advance.
nebport5
Planning Board

Re: Omaha liquor stores

Post by nebport5 »

chicagoan wrote:First post this board so be gentle.  I wanted to get a feel from people on where they shop for their alcohol in the Omaha area.  I noticed this Brix place just opened and I am familiar with Spirit World as well.  These places seem to have their own niche and identity as they not only sell alcohol but also have wine tastings, serve food and in some cases have a bar inside.  Do people shop for the alcohol in places like these or just simply go to the grocery stores for their products?  Would a place like Binny's (I am from Chicago) do well in Omaha?  A place to just buy alcohol with an enormous selection and extremely clean environment (of course great locations play into everything).  I am interested on you feedback.  Thanks everyone in advance.

Yes, I think a Binny's would do well here.  I recently moved from Chicago and that's one of the stores I miss the most.  Brix is very new and while a good thought thus far falls very short.  Spirit World is ok, but I prefer to buy from Hy-Vee as most have a great selection of beer, wine and liquor with equally good prices.  Whole Foods also has a very good wine selection with surprisingly good prices.  Bottom line, Brix, Spirit World and such are not so great that one should make a special trip to these stores.  If I lived close or happen to be in the area I may stop in otherwise Hy-Vee or select Baker's are probably more accessible with better pricing and better selection.  I'd love for a Binny's to come in and show Brix how it's done.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The larger grocery store chains have greatly improved their selections of wines, beer and spirits over the past decade.  Hy-Vee is a place I go to a lot, as I am already there buying groceries...  I also like The Winery at Clocktower Village and the Corkscrew at Rockbrook Village a lot.  They are each known for their superior wine inventories.  Plus the people who work there are very knowledgeable.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

While I have not been there in a while, Cornhusker Beverage was pretty big last time I was there.  However, I notice their name is now Cornhusker Beverage and Bridal.  Don't know what the heck the Bridal portion is.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

joeglow wrote:While I have not been there in a while, Cornhusker Beverage was pretty big last time I was there.  However, I notice their name is now Cornhusker Beverage and Bridal.  Don't know what the heck the Bridal portion is.
all the wedding stuff they have.  You can order invitations through them (my wife and i did---super good prices), candles, guest registries, etc.
Go Cubs Go
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

thenewguy wrote:
joeglow wrote:While I have not been there in a while, Cornhusker Beverage was pretty big last time I was there.  However, I notice their name is now Cornhusker Beverage and Bridal.  Don't know what the heck the Bridal portion is.
all the wedding stuff they have.  You can order invitations through them (my wife and i did---super good prices), candles, guest registries, etc.
Huh; that's a concept I have not heard of.  "Honey, I'm going to get the wedding invitations."  "Okay, why don't you pick up a bottle of scotch while you're there."
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

joeglow wrote:Don't know what the heck the Bridal portion is.
"Congratulations on your pending nuptials.  Why not pick up a pallet of hooch to numb yourself until you are released by the sweet embrace of death?"
Stable genius.
InTheO!
New to the Neighborhood

Post by InTheO! »

Do any of those stores sell Absithe? Just curious if I could get it locally yet and at a decent price.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

InTheO! wrote:Do any of those stores sell Absithe? Just curious if I could get it locally yet and at a decent price.
You can get Absinthe just about everywhere, however, I believe if you buy it domestically, the chemical 'thujone' will not be present.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Yes, the FDA does not allow any beverage to contain a measurable amount of thujone to be imported or sold in the US.  The absinthe you can buy here is more or less the real stuff with the wormwood-derived thujone chemically filtered out.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Seth wrote:Yes, the FDA does not allow any beverage to contain a measurable amount of thujone to be imported or sold in the US.  The absinthe you can buy here is more or less the real stuff with the wormwood-derived thujone chemically filtered out.
Well that's just not quite as much fun, now is it?  :;):
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

S33 wrote:
Seth wrote:Yes, the FDA does not allow any beverage to contain a measurable amount of thujone to be imported or sold in the US.  The absinthe you can buy here is more or less the real stuff with the wormwood-derived thujone chemically filtered out.
Well that's just not quite as much fun, now is it?  :;):
Of course not.

http://www.tuckermax.com/archives/entri ... tory.phtml
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That guy is by far the biggest girly on the planet.

Post by Guest »

By "Doosh", you mean |expletive| hilarious?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

^^^Twas I!
InTheO!
New to the Neighborhood

Post by InTheO! »

So with the ones available which would you recommend?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Pacifique and Vieux Carre (Around $60-70 bottle) are said to be among the best domestic Absnthes. Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference between any of them, as far as good or bad. But I can also be a dumpster drinker, too, at times.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Anonymous wrote:By "Doosh", you mean |expletive| hilarious?
Gotta love Tucker Max.
Tucker Max wrote:My name is Tucker Max, and I am an [expletive].

I get excessively drunk at inappropriate times, disregard social norms, indulge every whim, ignore the consequences of my actions, mock idiots and posers, sleep with more women than is safe or reasonable, and just generally act like a raging dickhead.

But, I do contribute to humanity in one very important way. I share my adventures with the world.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Bosco55David wrote:
Gotta love Tucker Max.

I get excessively drunk at inappropriate times, disregard social norms, indulge every whim, ignore the consequences of my actions, mock idiots and posers, sleep with more women than is safe or reasonable, and just generally act like a raging dickhead.

But, I do contribute to humanity in one very important way. I share my adventures with the world.
Lol, yeah. I went to his website and read each of his stories. The one where he shat in his pants in the hotel lobby had me in tears. The guy may be a disgusting, shameless narcissist, but damn, he is funny. Good writer, too.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

S33 wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
Gotta love Tucker Max.

Lol, yeah. I went to his website and read each of his stories. The one where he shat in his pants in the hotel lobby had me in tears. The guy may be a disgusting, shameless narcissist, but darn, he is funny. Good writer, too.
I agree. One of the funniest books I've ever read.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

There's a marvelous one on thirtieth and laurel. Quite the ambiance.