Omaha Area Amusement Park?

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Theme Resort Proposed Near Platte River
http://www.theomahachannel.com/entertai ... etail.html
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

This sounds awesome! 3rd times a charm I hope.
Last edited by MTO on Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

Hmmm mixed feelings here. I'd like to know more bout the amusement park. I like how they have 3 different entertainment settings for this. If this is built this will surely bring Omaha and Lincoln as ONE metro area.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

a nightlife area? that should be great, people get drunk and then drive all the way home to either lincoln or omaha...
papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

Good point stylee...but with more growth in between omaha and Lincoln except maybe a light rail proposal in a few years?? or am I pushing it.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

eh, Darwin won't let them get past Gretna or Ashland ;)

Doesn't Linoma Beach also serve alcohol? I haven't heard any major accidents resulting from that. As far as the project goes, I'll believe it when I ride it.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

papiostud wrote: If this is built this will surely bring Omaha and Lincoln as ONE metro area.
Maybe our new slogan can be,"Two heads, one body. Just like a man."

Channel 6 had a story but I just caught the tail end of it and they said that construction could start this fall. That'd be something if it actually did. That video from 7 said it would have 5 coasters. 3 outdoors and 2 indoors. They better not suck. I think Worlds of Fun has 3 too (the Mamba, the Timberwolf, and the Boomerang). They got rid of the Zambize Zinger and the Orient Express :cry:. And unless they are putting a new one up we'll have more than they will. :)
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Here's the link to the amusement parks website. http://www.portnebraska.com/
DTO
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

they built a piece of |expletive| roller coaster where the orient express used to be, i was sad to see it go, considering it was my first roller coaster experience :(
DTO Luv
City Council

Amusement Park Pictures (very big pictures)

Post by DTO Luv »

These are from the Port Nebraska website.

DTO
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Not too shaby. I hope the third time is a charm.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

It all looks and sounds like a winner. I really hope the third time is a charm.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Uh-oh....indoor roller coasters. Because we all know how many world class indoor roller coasters there are. :roll:
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

^The only one I can think of is Space-Mountain and I'm pretty sure these will be no Space-Mountain.

I can't seem to find the indoor rollercoasters in the renderings. Does anybody know where they are at?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

avanzee wrote:I can't seem to find the indoor rollercoasters in the renderings. Does anybody know where they are at?
...inside?

I tried, I couldn't resist
jiminomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jiminomaha »

I have a name for the new park, Six Flags over the Hearthland. It'll be better than Cedar Point. Better take some Sominex because this is an "In your wildest dreams" idea. And this wild dream and the dream of this wild dream being in CB last year was brought to you by the OMH--yes that anti development rag that some of our young and immature and out of touch readers like to criticize. And DTOLuv, you are truly a moron to the 10th power--I been wanting to say tht for 1.5 years. :-)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Swift wrote:Uh-oh....indoor roller coasters. Because we all know how many world class indoor roller coasters there are. :roll:

Doesn't Mall of America have indoor roller coasters at Camp Snoopy? I've actually never seen them but that place is pretty popular.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

jiminomaha wrote:I have a name for the new park, Six Flags over the Hearthland. :-)

That's about as good as Flatwater Metroplex.
DTO
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I thought Camp Snoopy was a Worlds of Fun thing...then again, I've never been to Mall of America.

Six Flags over the Heartland?...could be worse; NebrasKoasters, Huskerland, Platte Parke...
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Wild Escape is good enough. I couldn't stand a Nebraska or especially Husker referance.
DTO
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

omahastylee459 wrote:a nightlife area? that should be great, people get drunk and then drive all the way home to either lincoln or omaha...
Maybe since it’s supposed to be a resort like destination they are hoping that you stay a day or two at a hotel. Hopefully there will be some kind of public transportation or shuttles available, especially to draw CWS visitors.
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

So it looks like they'll be building a harbor. :roll: Actually, some of the renderings look pretty cool.. did anyone notice the dramatic bluff in the Grace Harbor picture with what appears to be little huts behind the 6 story buildings. Reminds me of San Francisco. I like the world class shopping notation too. Are they throwing a Saks out there or somethin? I think it's got some potential, and my only hope is that Minard doesn't replicate an Adventureland. I know it's just an amusement park, but it's about differentiation and what separates your park from the rest.. need to find a niche to give us that competitive advantage.
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

So it looks like they'll be building a harbor. Actually, some of the renderings look pretty cool.. did anyone notice the dramatic bluff in the Grace Harbor picture with what appears to be little huts behind the 6 story buildings. Reminds me of San Francisco
Actually i think they just ran out of clip art and that was all thats left :shock: . Doesnt look like a realistic rendering to me considering the terrain. i hope he proves me wrong though, cuz it looks really nice.
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

This would be just the type of resort that could (and would) draw from a regional area of over 20 million people... but, judging by how professionally done the website was, I don't know how serious this one is versus the others.

At least there is a website this time, anyway.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, this newly revamped concept for the amusement park near the Platt River has certainly exceded my expectations, and would be a HUGE boost to the metro region.

I love the fact that it will be near the Platt River, in the Omaha metro, but still just about a half hour from Lincoln. As others have said, a project this grand and with such a draw will surely serve to unify the metro region.

I also love that he's expanded his vision of an amusement park to become even more of a destination with shops, entertainment, hotels, etc.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THE AREA BETWEEN OMAHA AND LINCOLN NEEDS.

I can't wait to see more specific renderings of the coasters!!!
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Awsome! It seems like he failed on the Missouri riverfront twice so now hes moved on to the Platte riverfront. As everyone else has stated, this is exactly what this city and the omaha-lincoln metro needed. I honestly wouldn't be suprised if we hit the 1million metro sooner now because of the link it would provide between omaha and lincoln. Very cool project, I just can't wait to see exactly what kinds of rides will go in.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Although it seems like a long ways from $70 million... at least he has a lender apparently willing to talk about it (from Des Moines no less... go figure)... to the tune of $25 million (for the purchase of more than '100 pieces of amusement park equipment').

Looking at the aerial... it looks more like a Peony size of park. At this point... I could care less about size (although it would be nice if it had at least one unique/marquee attraction)... just get something built, you can always make improvements later.

I have to say though... the other elements proposed with Port Nebraska seem pretty pie in the sky. I appreciate Minard's vision (boy do I!), but let's start with something attainable... and build from there.

That would be great if Cabela's and a hypothetical Wild Escape built in the vicinity of one another. The drawing power for additional investment would have to be pretty significant.

Well... here we go again folks. Let's sit on the sideline and keep our fingers crossed.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I am really liking the look of that lobster. :P
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I wonder if he would plan on making the amphitheatre bigger. I know it's a rinky little rendering but that doesn't look like it would hold an audience for the biggest national acts.
DTO
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

This is from the story that the Daily Nonpareil wrote up...
"After five years, he was no further along with the finances to build the development than from the beginning," Walsh said.
"If L.B. 500 passes, we could break ground by the end of this year," Minard said. If the bill doesn't pass, he said that the project could take between five and six years.
I hope this pans out. I wouldn't be salvating for a season pass yet...LOL
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

DTO... think World's of Fun amphitheatre... this isn't something that is going to be hosting major touring concerts... more like family fun, retro bands.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I was just going by what it said on the website. He said it would be host to big concerts. The Beach Boys probably will play there but it kind of sounded like he was trying to fill the void of big outdoor shows coming.
DTO
ATLShorty
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ATLShorty »

If built i will definatly be coming from ATL to ride the rides. Initial plans i believe called for an X coaster. At first it was not a good idea to me because of Magic Mountain's problems with theirs. However Arrow, the designer, has since resolved all problems and design flaws. If we still get one it wold be the second in the world and X has a initial drop of 200 ft.!
Grow Omaha, Grow
ATLShorty
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ATLShorty »

I remember one of the rides planned did not meet hight requirments when it was planned for DT, is that the drop tower rendering I c? :shock:
Grow Omaha, Grow
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

DTO... by the time this thing opens... the Beach Boys will probably be happy to play in the size of amphitheatre shown in that aerial (heck... I haven't heard any news from them lately... maybe they're already on 'boat and travel show' circuit). :)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Jeff, in reference to your comment on the aerial, and the park appearing to be about the size of Peony Park:

I think it will definitely be larger than Peony. The aerial is definitely misleading. Even back when we just had that first rendering for Wild Escape in CB I thought it looked a little "off". It's certainly not drawn to scale. It's more "cartoonish". I'd love to see a real site plan, completely to scale showing the footprints of the rides.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Actually, I'm going off of ride count as much as anything... depending on how you interpret what's what... I figure there are 15-20 amusements in that aerial. Although as I've said before... I think it's overly optimistic to think that we could get an amusement park with the number of rides which KC/Des Moines' parks have overnight. It tooks 'decades' to accumulate what these parks have... $70 million sounds like a lot... but consider that's just 1/4th of what it took to build the Qwest Center (it took that to build the Hilton!) ... it took $124 million to build Village Pointe. The dollar just don't buy what it used to (perhaps Minard will be buying a few used rides to stretch his budget). :)

Think Peony Park with a couple of higher end rides anchoring it... I think that's a good starting point. The important thing is... that Minard acquire enough surrounding land to keep it growing.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Damn you Warren Buffet. How much does a roller coaster even cost?
DTO
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Initial plans i believe called for an X coaster
ATL, where the heck did u hear this???? That would be insane :lol: ....and expensive
ATLShorty
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ATLShorty »

its been in past reports when the park was in its first planing stages i promise you, also he wold not suggest world class if its not, maybee thats why he's purchasing flats from other places so they can slurge on their thrill rides. I believe the original plans were for 3 coasters. A racing wooden with a steele track, an X coaster and somthin else that will probably be a defunct or for sale coaster from another park which would be very cost effective. Coasters move around the country and world like you would never believe.
Grow Omaha, Grow