Omaha Area Amusement Park?

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

Don't look for Six Flags to be building anything soon... they recently sold off a park in Aurora, Ohio, not to mention the whole of their European assets. With more than two billion in debt, Six Flags will be looking to sell long before they will be ready to build. ;) Cedar Fair *bought* Six Flags' Aurora park, and with that added debt, I don't see them acting on anything either. Sorry to burst that bubble (if it existed?) but we've got a better chance at an independent park rather than a chain.

With more than 24 million people in the doable drive radius of eight hours, Omaha could stand to get more than a run-of-the-mill park. People don't go to Disney for the thrills, they go for the atmosphere. If somehow that could be duplicated in a midwestern resort, it would be a hit. Worlds of Fun, Adventureland and virtually all Six Flags parks are mediocre at best. If not in quantity, I hope we would strive for an Omaha park to be better than that in quality. Just look at Holiday World in Santa Claus, Indiana as an example of quality.
nebrwesleyan
Home Owners Association

Oh no, Steve Minard again.......

Post by nebrwesleyan »

Well, the rumor about an amusement park was correct. It will be off of the interstate. I rrrrrrrreeeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyy hope this will go through. The article states that Minard has secured sufficient private funding this time. Also, it says that Rep. Lee Terry persuaded Minard to move his plans to Nebraska. Lets cross our fingers.
Omaha World Herald wrote: Theme park idea shifts to Nebraska

The developer of a failed proposal for an amusement park in Council Bluffs is now focusing his sights on Nebraska.

Steve Minard of Papa's Park LLC met Tuesday with the director of the Strategic Air & Space Museum to discuss construction of a neighboring amusement park along Interstate 80, halfway between Omaha and Lincoln.

Minard wants to put the amusement park near exit 426 on Interstate 80. The exit already has such attractions as the Strategic Air & Space Museum, Mahoney State Park, the Henry Doorly Zoo Wildlife Safari Park and Quarry Oaks Golf Course.

Minard's interest coincides with plans for a Cabela's sporting goods store along I-80 across the Platte River in Sarpy County.

In 2003, plans to build a $70 million amusement park in Council Bluffs fell apart after Minard could not secure the funding for his Wild Escape project. The 77-acre site along the South Omaha Bridge Road would have featured indoor and outdoor rides.

This time, Minard has secured sufficient financial backing from private investors for the multimillion-dollar project, but is still considering the best site, said Steve Reeder, a real estate developer with CB Richard Ellis/Mega in Omaha.

"It's no secret that we have looked long and hard at the Mahoney exit off Interstate 80," said Reeder, who is researching sites for the amusement park. "But no land has been acquired yet."

Until a site is purchased, Minard is hesitant to discuss the project publicly, Reeder said. Minard has not responded to interview requests.

Scott Hazelrigg, the Strategic Air & Space Museum's director, said Minard discussed the amusement park with him but asked him not to divulge details of the project.

"I always encourage groups with ideas to bring new projects to our area," Hazelrigg said. "They just don't have this one all put together yet."

U.S. Rep. Lee Terry, R-Neb., said he urged Minard to bring his amusement park project to Nebraska after it failed in Council Bluffs.

Tim Mettenbrink, director of real estate for Lincoln-based Nebco Inc., which operates Quarry Oaks Golf Course, said Minard's representatives also talked with him last week about the amusement park project.

Minard's group has eyed Cass County land near the golf course and the nearby Round the Bend restaurant, Mettenbrink said.

"An amusement park right across the street from Quarry Oaks could create too much traffic and noise for a golf course," Mettenbrink said.

The owner of a 173-acre site just south of Quarry Oaks - once considered for a 17,000-seat amphitheater by Omaha musician Chip Davis - has little interest in selling the land for an amusement park.

Omaha attorney Joseph Kavan, who represents the Match Pointe Properties LLC owner, said he has not been approached about selling the land for an amusement park and would not be receptive to the idea.

Kavan said he plans to keep the land as a haven for wildlife and hunting grounds.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Yeah, if they wouldn't let an ampitheatre in that site there no chance an amusement park would move in.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Give Mr. Minard style points for persistence with his idea. I don't know if it is myth or fact, but the story I have heard is that Walt Disney was rejected by more than 600 bankers, investors, etc. before he was able to get backing for his little Disneyland project. Walt believed enough to keep trying and apparently so does Minard.

I think exit 426 makes a lot of sense and it would be just another step in creating a single Omaha/Lincoln metroplex. Exciting times to be alive. Can't wait to see how all of his pans out.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

This guy had so many chances and missed deadlines in Council Bluffs that I'm not sure it's worthy of the story in the World Herald, or the post here.

Greg
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

If Minard truly had the funding lined up, he could be building in a couple months in Council Bluffs, as City Council there left open the possibility of all the incentives that were offered the first-time around, if he secured all the funding necessary, and wouldn't have to be poking around the 426 exit area looking for a site.

I would be leery of anything coming to fruition this time around too.
SolitaryMan
New to the Neighborhood

Yes, this is going to happen

Post by SolitaryMan »

Cabellas and Minard are both expecting to capitalize on a bill before the unicam right now - LB 500 - which, if it passes, would provide some bond money to help build and develop entertainment/tourism districts. This is going to happen, especially with Cabellas looking to locate nearby.
OmahaRules
Library Board

Post by OmahaRules »

The bill will pass? I hope so we need it!
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

^
I tend to agree with this. If Cabela's gets the go ahead.. I think we'll see a real push for the amusement park to be in this vicinity.. not only that but I'm starting to think that the likelihood of this happening is greater than 50%.
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I don't know what to think. I would love to see this happen but yeah truthfully he had many chances in CB and got nothing done. I think it is much needed since Adventureland (Des Moines) and Worlds of Fun (Kansas City) are both at least 2-3 hrs. away.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

This time, Minard has secured sufficient financial backing from private investors for the multimillion-dollar project, but is still considering the best site, said Steve Reeder, a real estate developer with CB Richard Ellis/Mega in Omaha.
Well this time it sounds as if he has money, but still needs the land! Its like the situation in CB flip flopped around. I hope this can go through, I have always wanted the Mahoney area to get more attractions, but I'm not getting my hopes up this time on an amusement park.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Some tidbits I take out of the article and reading between the lines.

CB fell through because of the inability to attaract funding. Land in place, CIty in place.

NEbr Location has major funding in place if ou believe the article. Need to wrap up a location and has looked at the Mahoney exit.

Could this mean that the CB site was not that great in the eyes of the investors? Maybe the concept was good but the location wasn't and the NEBR location makes more sence so the funding can fall into place.

I believe that the Lincoln / Omaha location is better and and have stated so long ago. I tend to believe that the $$$$ needed will back the bset location and not let emottion drive the location. That being said this is my determination of what was said betweent he lines.
nativeomahan
County Board

amusement park

Post by nativeomahan »

There is no reason an area with over 1 million people within an hour's drive couldn't support an amusement park. I read where Phoenix doesn't have one but who wants to be outside when it is 120 in the shade? Omaha should build one, but it will have to be first rate within 3-5 years...at least as big as Adventureland...or it will ultimately flop. And if an announcement of a ground breaking comes along don't expect World's of Fun or Adventureland just sit back and take it. They will likely announce great expansions just to compete for the Omaha market.

It is sad that we have gone years without a park. I have fond memories of Peony Park.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I don't buy it until I see construction.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

The other thing I picked up from the article is senetor's support of the process. That can't hurt when it comes to fundraising.
OmahaRules
Library Board

Post by OmahaRules »

Bottom line Omaha is starving for a place such as this. How much money goes to Iowa and Missouri just for an Amusement park. I go at least once a year with the various groups of people I hang around with not to mention all the church groups etc that go. It should do well if it is built as long as it has a decent rollercoaster.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I don't really know if it will happen. I tend to agree with the post above that put forth the argument that the money is probably here because the investors like this location better. There have been times when I have been accused of being a taco short of a combo plate (right here on this forum I think), but I never did understand how the Council Bluffs made any sense for a regional amusement park. That location would have been suitable for a Peony Park or FunPlex but not a regional park.

I am tired of being wishy washy so I have to go out on a limb and make a prediction and see what happens.

I predict it gets built. It gets built somewhere between Gretna and Greenfield if not on Exit 426. We be all ridin Super Freaking Tornado Coaster in the Spring of 200....... uh, um, oh ..... 8.

There now you can all say you heard it misstated here first.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I don't know. I do have to give Minard credit for being persistant. I mean, this guy really does want an amusement park for the Omaha region, and I think when someone wants something that badly, they're going to get it. If he's got funding in place he should have no trouble at all finding some farmer willing to sell his fields.

I wonder if they'll keep the name "Wild Escape". That sounds like a winner to me.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

[gloat]Can we move this back into the development forum now?[/gloat] 8)
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I'm sure the land out there was already inflated in value well before Minard came along. Hopefully he'll have enough money left for the rides!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I'm not sure I'd gloat yet. :) But I'd say we can start thinking of this in terms of 'proposed' now.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

Worlds of Fun was a class act park with a fantastic reputation until Cedar Fair bought them.

Back to the subject at hand, Mahoney area would be an excllent location as long as they have enough room to grow. They is so much they could do with that site to complement the other attractions.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Regardless of what others are saying, the CB location wasn't the downfall of funding for Minard's previous folly. A lot more infrastructure was already on hand for that location than what he'll find out by the Platte River, and the traffic count past the site is a lot higher. I seriously doubt that Lincolnites or west Omahan's would be deterred by the extra 25 miles to get to CB (as opposed to the current location), rather than driving to KC or DSM. The funding issue had more to do with the perceived risk-reward of the amusement park business.

If you recall, Minard kept saying he had the investors lined up before, he just needed a little more time to "finalize" things, so I would take his "funding in place" statements with a grain of salt. Think about it, what big investor is going to commit 100% to a project if a site hasn't even been selected yet? Not to rain on anyone's parade, or hopes, but I think this has a little ways to go to fruition yet. But if it happens, I'll be there, roller coasters here I come!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

icejammer wrote:Regardless of what others are saying, the CB location wasn't the downfall of funding for Minard's previous folly.
You don't know that. :)

Although I can understand you being bitter that CB is not going to be the location anymore. Some of us were pretty bitter when we found out it wouldn't actually be in Omaha or Nebraska. ;)

And to reverse your statement on you, I don't think people from CB or western Iowa will mind driving the extra 25 miles to the Nebraska location in stead of 2 to 3 hours to KC or Des Moines. :)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
icejammer wrote:Regardless of what others are saying, the CB location wasn't the downfall of funding for Minard's previous folly.
You don't know that. :)

Although I can understand you being bitter that CB is not going to be the location anymore. Some of us were pretty bitter when we found out it wouldn't actually be in Omaha or Nebraska. ;)

And to reverse your statement on you, I don't think people from CB or western Iowa will mind driving the extra 25 miles to the Nebraska location in stead of 2 to 3 hours to KC or Des Moines. :)
(deleted in deference to your smiley I missed, sorry)

Let me clarify the earlier comment - the location was not the driving force behind his funding problems. (And if this LB500 (or whatever it is) passes, I think Mr. Minard will have played his hand nearly perfectly, imo.)

I'm merely pointing out that this new site is not as good as Minard's previous 2 site selections in terms of visibility or existing infrastructure, nor should you take Minard at face value based on his past history, especially without a specific site even picked out yet. He may still get it done, and if he does, great. I'll be there all day riding the roller coaster.

Peace. :)
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Third time's a charm isnt it???
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That's right.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That's right!
nativeomahan
County Board

Re: KOOL!

Post by nativeomahan »

A big amusement park? That has been promised or talked about for like 30 years. We shall just have to wait and see. $70 mil in financing arranged? Where have we heard that before...and from the same guy? don't cancel those summer plans for Worlds of Fun just yet.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I don't know about 30 years - but we have been waiting for a new Peony Park in Wahoo for some time. The reason I think this will work is because these people almost made it happen in CB but couldn't close the deal. If LB 500 passes that will close the deal.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Friday's tomorrow so I guess we'll see. I hope they pick a Sarpy county site so it will be closer (not by much though) to Omaha. I wish it actually was in Omaha or Douglas County so we could get the money for it. If it does get built it will be a huge benefit to whatever town is nearby and eventually grows around it.

I wonder how much $70 million dollars will build?
DTO
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Steve Minard again?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Is this the same guy who started touting some plans north of down town?
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

This guy really wants attention or to be the most hated guy in the metro. I wouldn't hold your breath.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Well thanks for that reality check. I don't know how I'd find out our Fortune 500 company count dropped ... or that the odds were stacked against our getting an amusement park ... if it weren't for these Des Moines folks. :P
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Welcome to our first forum member from the great state of Alaska!
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Well thanks for that reality check. I don't know how I'd find out our Fortune 500 company count dropped ... or that the odds were stacked against our getting an amusement park ... if it weren't for these Des Moines folks.
Hey, that F1000 count thread was strictly legit and only 20% made in jest of the Big O. :wink: I'm just delivering the news baby.
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

I'll give this guy a lot of credit for trying. I have a feeling if it wasn't for this guy there wouldn't be any attempts at getting an amusement park here. I think he will have an easier time getting funding for this park. I think Nebraska investors had a hard time going with an amusement park in Iowa instead of Nebraska.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Cabela’s mite just tip the odds this time. I hope.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think CB bent over backwards to work with this guy and got nothing out of it. I'll believe it when he builds it.

Greg