318 North End (Omaha Brewery)

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So is the brewery really going to be called "Omaha Brewery"?  That name was the thing that made it sound more conceptual than anything that name seems like a filler.

That is what confused me.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Its been Thanksgiving since I read the sign, but I think the sign is for the whole development.  I will take a look.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I looked in the window on Friday.  There is a large banner hanging up in the middle that says "Future home of Omaha Brewery"
RMM123
New to the Neighborhood

The Brewery is going to be located at 1206 Izard

Post by RMM123 »

The brewery is going to be located inside the Barn, the rest of the square block is going to be retail, apartments, and office space. I looked on the assessors website and the barn at 1206 Izard it about 8000 square feet with about 750 square feet for a back patio.  It looks like they have their liquor license for the Benson Building, the state shows that location at 6059 Maple Street. The state also had a giant business plan on record for this group, it looks like the benson building is going to be a small brewpub and the downtown building a production brewery with a large tasting room- It also mentioned something about a location at 3921 Farnam Street?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cool, thanks for the intel!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Awesome!  Yeah I totally read into this wrong.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

It's really cool that they're planning on reusing the old building.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I'm really excited that there might be an actual brewery in Omaha.  Lucky Bucket is cool and all, but a real Omaha address would be cooler (not to mention the location and setting).
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Lots of debris being pulled out of the building today, a skid loader was piling up a lot of smashed up cinder blocks.
OldGeorge
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OldGeorge »

nebport5 wrote:So a brewery is going in here?  I've always thought Lucky Bucket should have a presence in this area.
I'd think Lucky Bucket could do a great micro-brewery/pub in the downtown or North Downtown area.  They've got a fine product, and people would be happy to support "the hometown boys."
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

OldGeorge wrote:
nebport5 wrote:So a brewery is going in here?  I've always thought Lucky Bucket should have a presence in this area.
I'd think Lucky Bucket could do a great micro-brewery/pub in the downtown or North Downtown area.  They've got a fine product, and people would be happy to support "the hometown boys."
I agree.  I know people who have done a tour and been kind of disappointed to find that it's in a strip mall in the suburbs.  Craft breweries just belong in old, industrial settings.  Boulevard in KC is a good example of this, as is Empryean in Lincoln.
OldGeorge
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OldGeorge »

Seth wrote:
OldGeorge wrote:
I agree.  I know people who have done a tour and been kind of disappointed to find that it's in a strip mall in the suburbs.  Craft breweries just belong in old, industrial settings.  Boulevard in KC is a good example of this, as is Empryean in Lincoln.
It's interesting to watch marketing strategies (or the lack thereof) unfold.  It seems like Lucky Bucket is trying to get into grocery stores, and into the Sports Bars out west in the Suburbs.  I suppose that might work, and work very well.  

I guess I'm just more of a down-towner, and would love to see more of these little local shops everywhere downtown.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

To be fair place after place has tried to run craft brewing businesses in downtown, only to fail because people who live 2 miles away are just not going to drive past a dozen stores selling craft beer to get a drink.   Lucky bucket is in an industrial zone and has done precious little to make even a tasting room come to life there.   But they have done something all the other people managed to fail to do.   Figure out how to put their beer in bottles.    Growlers and kegs are fine, but bottles sell.  

Downtown location is nothing if you cant scale up as your business grows and you cant make it possible to buy some without dragging all the way downtown.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Heck of a lot easier to run a start up from a cheap rent industrial building in the suburbs vs a high rent retail location in downtown...
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

bigredmed wrote:But they have done something all the other people managed to fail to do.   Figure out how to put their beer in bottles.
Not so sure about that. They always seem to have filling issues, where it's either too full to not full enough. They send these mistake bottles to my dad's office all the time.
OldGeorge
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OldGeorge »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Heck of a lot easier to run a start up from a cheap rent industrial building in the suburbs vs a high rent retail location in downtown...
Right.  But now that Lucky Bucket is getting going, it might be a good time to snatch up a downtown, or North Downtown location, and give it a whirl.  :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

On the facebook page for the Benson Brewery, the also have photos inside the Omaha Brewery - 1206 Izard Street.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Benso ... 4066062560

Looks like its going to be cool!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:On the facebook page for the Benson Brewery, the also have photos inside the Omaha Brewery - 1206 Izard Street.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Benso ... 4066062560

Looks like its going to be cool!
Looks awesome inside there!  They did mention they would start that 12-18 months after the Benson Brewery was up and running so were looking at a possible 3-5 year time scale on the North Downtown location.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:They did mention they would start that 12-18 months after the Benson Brewery was up and running so were looking at a possible 3-5 year time scale on the North Downtown location.
The Brewery in Benson will be open in August and I was told downtown is 18 months out.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:They did mention they would start that 12-18 months after the Benson Brewery was up and running so were looking at a possible 3-5 year time scale on the North Downtown location.
The Brewery in Benson will be open in August and I was told downtown is 18 months out.
I thought in the original article it stated it would be a year or more before Benson location opened?

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 9&start=40
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

My info was from an email about noon today.

He also said that work on the this Storefront (downtown) will start this week:
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

It looks like I really will get my coveted urban-reuse downtown brewery after all!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I am just way off on this thread.  Thanks for the info Brad!
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: 318 North End (Omaha Brewery)

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote: 2.
They had that entire metal structure on the right side of this picture torn down today.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Brad wrote:They had that entire metal structure on the right side of this picture torn down today.
The breezeway between the two buildings, or the standalone shed in front of the right building?  That building is in the rendering on the sign in the picture.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Seth wrote:
Brad wrote:They had that entire metal structure on the right side of this picture torn down today.
The breezeway between the two buildings, or the standalone shed in front of the right building?  That building is in the rendering on the sign in the picture.
The shed/barn thing that is nearly out of frame.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:My info was from an email about noon today.

He also said that work on the this Storefront (downtown) will start this week:
Finished product.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Nice photo, Brad!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

So much potential!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Hopefully we will see real work here this spring.  Per this weeks agenda the TIF was requested for this property for retail on the first floor, office on the second and 21 apartment units on the top floor.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There are new signs up on this property and there were people in the brewery building the other day.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Can't wait for this block to be activated.  The whole area north of Cuming has the chance to be Old Market lite.  Especially if we can get that dumpy recycling center replaced with something.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:Can't wait for this block to be activated.  The whole area north of Cuming has the chance to be Old Market lite.  Especially if we can get that dumpy recycling center replaced with something.
If we can get this area going, and get something in... "The Yard" (gag me)'s lot, I think this area will take off. I really wouldn't mind to see apartments here to get some actual living here in the area...that might provide the tipping point to actually getting development.

I think it all hinges on Shamrock's start spreading north. Here's to hoping!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This rendering still has the since torn down metal shed in it, but I hadn't seen it before now.

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I hope with the CWS becoming a solid event at the new stadium we can get a little brewery town area of the city near the stadium.. would be really cool to see these old warehouse buildings renovated into something fresh using the existing structures!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

guitarguy wrote:I hope with the CWS becoming a solid event at the new stadium we can get a little brewery town area of the city near the stadium.. would be really cool to see these old warehouse buildings renovated into something fresh using the existing structures!
I don't know if there is anywhere else in the city that has as much stored potential as those handful of brick buildings.  Nicholas between 12th and 13th is PRIME.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This area will be so cool when done!

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:This area will be so cool when done!
It will.  Sadly nothing has happened in the past two years...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:This area will be so cool when done!
It will.  Sadly nothing has happened in the past two years...
I saw no signs of any recent activity, but the area is already landscaped real nice with the Hotel across the street and Hot Shops...