318 North End (Omaha Brewery)

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I was wondering what has been happening with this project.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Seth wrote:I was wondering what has been happening with this project.

Much like a lot of cool projects that were announced in Omaha....nothing.  :lol:
No posts exist for this topic
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Busy trying to get someone else to spend money on their needs.
Brad
City Council

Re: 318 North End (Omaha Brewery)

Post by Brad »

Saw on Facebook that after the location on Farnam Street is open, then this location would be an 18-24 Month Process! Sounds like its going to be a while.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:Saw on Facebook that after the location on Farnam Street is open, then this location would be an 18-24 Month Process!  Sounds like its going to be a while.
I completely forgot they are working on something on this corner!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Is this location intended to be more production-focused? I think it would be a perfect match to have a small-scale brew operation on Farnam with the bigger focus on the bar, and a higher-production brewery in the North Downtown location, as there is a lot more available space. It would also fit the still-present industrial infrastucture there better.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

As I park next to this blackout empty building I can't even begin to describe how cool it would be to have an operating brewery here.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Resolution to rescind the TIF agreement in the next agenda.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Projects never built?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And so it is, another good idea that couldn't ferment. I hope someone can buy this property and put together another plan...
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Coyote wrote:...another good idea that couldn't ferment.
Well-played, sir. :;):
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

On a serious note, given the number and success (so far) of the craft brewers in Omaha and it's proximity to the Clink and Creighton, I would have thought this would be a pretty low risk for failure enterprise. What specifically happened to it? Anyone have the details?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

bigredmed wrote:On a serious note, given the number and success (so far) of the craft brewers in Omaha and it's proximity to the Clink and Creighton, I would have thought this would be a pretty low risk for failure enterprise. What specifically happened to it? Anyone have the details?
No clue, but I did see guys in suits doing the whole point and talk around these buildings earlier this week. Maybe someone else is kicking the tires.
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

Ate at benson brewery last fall, and the owner was in town and working the bar. We briefly discussed this project and he showed us a bunch of photos on his phone. Was clearly excited about it, but said he had too much tied up with the benson and farnam businesses, and this one was going to have to wait a while.
Coyote
City Council

Re:

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:This area will be so cool when done!

I parked in front of this on my way to the Hot Shops the other day. Sad to say, it looks exactly like it did three years ago. Took a peek inside, it still looks like they are in the middle of renovations.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This block sold a few weeks back to the firm putting the Millwork district together.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Read recently that craft beer was on the decline nationally. Looks like that is happening here as well. Guess there is a limit to the amount of IPA that can be sold. Just like the stout line during the last craft beer craze.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

It's not a decline, just growing slower than previous years. The other major factor is the insane number of breweries that opened. Not a sustainable number most likely. But yes, the veracity and velocity of growth over the past 15 years could never last.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:32 am Read recently that craft beer was on the decline nationally. Looks like that is happening here as well. Guess there is a limit to the amount of IPA that can be sold. Just like the stout line during the last craft beer craze.
There is still some good stouts out there. :banger:

I think part of the decline has to do with how many breweries are out there. Tallgrass brewing out of Kansas has recenly pulled back from being a regional distributor.

Also millercoors and AB sales have dropped also.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/as-us-be ... emain-flat
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Uffda wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:23 am
bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:32 am Read recently that craft beer was on the decline nationally. Looks like that is happening here as well. Guess there is a limit to the amount of IPA that can be sold. Just like the stout line during the last craft beer craze.

I think part of the decline has to do with how many breweries are out there. Tallgrass brewing out of Kansas has recenly pulled back from being a regional distributor.

There are good stouts. My reference was that when the craft brewing scene was hot in the 90’s, stouts were the “drug of choice” and with our current iteration of the craft brewing craze, we see IPAs.

Frankly, I am glad to see the craze weaken as this might work to increase the production of nonIPA beer.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

bigredmed1 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:10 pm

There are good stouts. My reference was that when the craft brewing scene was hot in the 90’s, stouts were the “drug of choice” and with our current iteration of the craft brewing craze, we see IPAs.

Frankly, I am glad to see the craze weaken as this might work to increase the production of nonIPA beer.
I hope we’re bound for a change. I’ve never liked IPAs
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Garrett wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:36 am
bigredmed1 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:10 pm

I hope we’re bound for a change. I’ve never liked IPAs
I agree, for me IPAs have the same taste as when I was a kid and mom would spray OFF! on us and some would get into my mouth. IPAs taste like bug spray. Guess it is like the "cilantro tastes like soap" thing for some people.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

What kind of IPA? The Juicy/Hazy, New England IPA's that are currently are all the rage and nothing like the the bitter "pallet wreckers" of a couple years ago. Some of the "Juice Bombs" on the market are really good and I don't think you would compare them to bug spray like you would with some of the more traditional IPA beers.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Brad wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:17 pm What kind of IPA? The Juicy/Hazy, New England IPA's that are currently are all the rage and nothing like the the bitter "pallet wreckers" of a couple years ago. Some of the "Juice Bombs" on the market are really good and I don't think you would compare them to bug spray like you would with some of the more traditional IPA beers.
Sorry friend, but I just don't care to take the risk given the other options out there. Even Diet Pepsi (and I am a Coke man) tastes better than an IPA. I will note your info and if in the future, someone offers me a taste, I will try it, but I really do think that "IPA =bug spray with a head" is a genetic trait like smelling asparagus in other people's urine or being able to curl your tongue.

Frankly, I would love to see a brewer work on a light beer that has lower carb count (maybe not as low as Mich Ultra, but in the 150 gm/pint range) and a light flavor. If Guiness can get down to 130/12 ounce carb count and have it taste like that, surely one of our brewers could start with a lighter grain bill and get the carb count down and then either toast some of the grain or add herbs to it to get a rich flavor. Low hops so as to not have it really bitter.

Was in Cuba last summer and they drink a beer called Cristal. It is a super light beer that makes Coors light taste full bodied. In the heat there, it tastes great and full bodied beer (Bud or Miller equivalent) just don't make it. I bet our guys could make beer that had a light body, but stronger taste and it would rock this summer.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

People have different taste. Growing up I hated asparagus (since you mentioned it), but now I love it. I grew up a sugar freak, now some just makes me gag. I grew up thinking Moose Head and St Pauli Girl were craft beers. I have friends that love sour/tart beers, Belgian yeast beers that I can't stand. My sister in laws family only have Coors light in the fridge, I can handle a few swallows before it becomes a drain pour. I like IPAs that have a grapefruit hops taste. I love my dark stouts that have a chocolate coffee taste, and especially if it is Bourbon Barrel aged. I have friends that think it tastes like motor oil.

I think we will soon see some session beers that are low cal with good taste. That market is just around the corner. There are a few out there and with more demand it will come soon.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

bigredmed1 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:00 pm Frankly, I would love to see a brewer work on a light beer that has lower carb count (maybe not as low as Mich Ultra, but in the 150 gm/pint range) and a light flavor. If Guiness can get down to 130/12 ounce carb count and have it taste like that, surely one of our brewers could start with a lighter grain bill and get the carb count down and then either toast some of the grain or add herbs to it to get a rich flavor. Low hops so as to not have it really bitter.
Nobody locally is going to make 500+ gallons of an ultra light beer because there's no market for it. You would be better off learning to brew your own, or finding a homebrewer to brew you 5 gallons.
Breweries are in it for the money. Without money they cannot pay down their debts. They have to brew what the market wants.
Maybe talk to Bill and see if Infusion can do an ice box series of an ultra light.

For a quick fix, I'd get a crowler of the hop water at Kros Strain and then just pour in some beer of your favorite style at home. I'm being totally serious.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

ScrattyB wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:05 pm
bigredmed1 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:00 pm Frankly, I would love to see a brewer work on a light beer that has lower carb count (maybe not as low as Mich Ultra, but in the 150 gm/pint range) and a light flavor. If Guiness can get down to 130/12 ounce carb count and have it taste like that, surely one of our brewers could start with a lighter grain bill and get the carb count down and then either toast some of the grain or add herbs to it to get a rich flavor. Low hops so as to not have it really bitter.
Nobody locally is going to make 500+ gallons of an ultra light beer because there's no market for it. You would be better off learning to brew your own, or finding a homebrewer to brew you 5 gallons.
Breweries are in it for the money. Without money they cannot pay down their debts. They have to brew what the market wants.
Maybe talk to Bill and see if Infusion can do an ice box series of an ultra light.

For a quick fix, I'd get a crowler of the hop water at Kros Strain and then just pour in some beer of your favorite style at home. I'm being totally serious.
Thanks. I detest hops. This is why I am basically not a craft beer fan. Once they shifted from monotonous Stouts to the even more monotonous IPAs, I had two reasons to not be there (no stouts and beer that tastes like I got sprayed in the face by a can of OFF.) I still stand by my point that Guiness can get it down to 130 mg carb/12 oz bottle and pack all that flavor in, and we can't?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

bigredmed1 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:16 pm
ScrattyB wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Thanks. I detest hops. This is why I am basically not a craft beer fan. Once they shifted from monotonous Stouts to the even more monotonous IPAs, I had two reasons to not be there (no stouts and beer that tastes like I got sprayed in the face by a can of OFF.) I still stand by my point that Guiness can get it down to 130 mg carb/12 oz bottle and pack all that flavor in, and we can't?
Almost all of a beers calories come from the sugars required for fermentation...so basically the higher the higher the calories. Guinness is 4.2% so its light in calories. Flavor is not really a factor in that. The carb numbers don’t vary too much as long as the beer’s malt body is of barley and other complex carbs and not rice and other simple carbs. So yes some craft beer carb counts are higher but at least they are of the complex variety.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks Louie.

I would listen to Louie, he knows more about beers than all of us put together.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Thanks
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Eh, I'm no expert. Just was in the industry long enough for osmosis to take its effect.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Louie wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:28 pm Eh, I'm no expert. Just was in the industry long enough for osmosis to take its effect.
I thought you were a Level II Cicerone...
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Just barely failed the tasting portion unfortunately...