St. Cecelia's Plaza

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

St. Cecelia's Plaza

Post by omahahawk »

OK Streets, since this is your baby I thought I'd ask you (and the rest of the forum) where things are on the plaza project. I heard they had quite a bit of money towards it already both directly from the city and also privately. I had a chance to go to their cultural center for the first time recently and had to think, for lack of a better way to put it, this church has got some bucks. Any ideas on when ground might be broken?
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

What all is planned as part of this projet?
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Basically they're tearing up the entire street in front of the cathedral and replacing it with with a Spaninsh style brick plaza that goes all the way down to the surrounding parking lots complete with stairs and landscaping. Its sweet.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, beyond it simply being my idea initially, and making some preliminary "renderings" for them, I haven't been involved in the project. Leo A Daly did the final design for them. I think I read recently that construction was going to start this summer, since they have most of the funding in place. I don't know for sure, though.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

cool, thanks.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

St. Cecelia's plaza

Post by omahahawk »

Anyone know if they are still planning on building the street plaza at St. Cecelia's cathedral?