Campus Crest Communities Apartments

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Campus Crest Communities Apartments

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130118/N ... d-near-uno
The plan calls for 10 apartment buildings containing 200 apartments, with between 500 and 600 bedrooms, Councilman Pete Festersen said.

The site now is home to a synagogue, Temple Israel, whose congregation is moving to near 132nd and Pacific Streets.
Also said it would be geared toward college students.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Yeah, like this will sit well with the Fairacres crowd.  I have my doubts about this location.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ricko wrote:Yeah, like this will sit well with the Fairacres crowd.
I agree, but at least they can't look any worse looking than the apartments already back in there behind that building.

http://douglasne.mapping-online.com/Dou ... 0132590013

Either way, they will still have the Community Playhouse as a buffer...
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I think they'll be far enough away that Fairacres residents won't notice much. Nobody's going to travel down Underwood to get to class.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Don't forget the tree sitters of Omaha, Dundee. If they think that the increased traffic 2 miles down the road will threaten the historic nature of their neighborhood, they will |expletive| nonstop in an effort to get the project stopped.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

No way the city turns down a $25 million 200 unit apartment building in a part of the city they have already said they are looking to redevelop.  No matter how much of a stink people make.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote:No way the city turns down a $25 million 200 unit apartment building in a part of the city they have already said they are looking to redevelop.  No matter how much of a stink people make.
Well, Festerson came out against the project.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Good reason to vote against Festerson.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

bigredmed wrote:Good reason to vote against Festerson.
He said they would be "too dense" for the area.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

iamjacobm wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Good reason to vote against Festerson.
He said they would be "too dense" for the area.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Too dense?  One one side is a community theater, one the north is a methodist church and Lewis and Clark, and onthe west side is a Walgreens.  Yeah, that would just be shoehorning them in place.  

If UNO is to grow, it needs places for people to live.  In this location, they could also help UNMC.  

Build em!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Make this guy mayor and the rent won't be too damn high.

S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I wonder if Festersen has ever been outside of Omaha.
glitalia
New to the Neighborhood

Post by glitalia »

Pete Festersen is representing the interests of those of us who live near this project (less than 2 tenths of a mile in my case) who are concerned about traffic congestion.  

Regarding density, this project is planned for a site that is two thirds of the area that Campus Crest usually obtains for a facility with this number of units.  Campus Crest has a reputation for substandard construction, building code violations, questionable leasing practices, and their response to potential traffic issues was an assumption that most residents will walk to the Crossroads to catch a shuttle to UNO.

I am not opposed to redevelopment of this site, even if it involves multi-family housing, as long as the city addresses legitimate concerns.  Since these issues are being ignored it should not surprise anyone that there is opposition to the proposal.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

glitalia wrote:Pete Festersen is representing the interests of those of us who live near this project (less than 2 tenths of a mile in my case) who are concerned about traffic congestion.  
You live along the busiest coridoor in the metro area. Wouldn't you expect that, at some point, Omaha would evolve as a city and become increasingly more dense in its core?

Or do you expect city planners to continue to grow toward Denver so as to not interupt your cozy neighborhood - which lays in what should be an urbanized, dense area?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Certain people in that area wanted to take the stoplight out at 50th and Underwood and go back to a 4 way stop. Perfect for an intersection that sees 13k cars a day.
glitalia
New to the Neighborhood

Post by glitalia »

As I said, I don't have anything against redevelopment as long as the issues are addressed.  The infrastructure in these areas need to be considered along with private investment.  Midtown Crossing was an incredible improvement to a neglected area, and I am in favor of the proposal for the Crossroads.  72nd street from Cass to Pacific looks the way it does because our Planning Board approved development one site at a time based on the first proposal that came along.  They need to get serious about the Master Plan they keep talking about, and that includes long-term planning for traffic flow.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The traffic will be fine.  

The midtown development that seems to pass muster with this new poster also came with traffic changes that REDUCED capacity.  

My biggest beef if that it is more dense than usual, but is still designed to look like suburban garden apartments.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like it is off the boards now.  I hope it can get worked out eventually.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

That's a bummer. Would have been a good development.

Hopefully they put in "Low income housing" now, just to get the NIMBYs even more angry  :D
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

And it's gone.  Maybe we will just get a CVS instead.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Image