Pandamonium (pandas at Omaha Zoo)

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

It's really unfortunate that it will only be one panda.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I highly doubt Omaha will have only one panda (does any zoo in the nation have just one?). One of the major motivations for these programs is captive breeding... and HDZ is a world leader... they sure as heck aren't going to pass up on the chance to add to the population.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

?
I highly doubt Omaha will have only one panda (does any zoo in the nation have just one?). One of the major motivations for these programs is captive breeding... and HDZ is a world leader... they sure as heck aren't going to pass up on the chance to add to the population.
Isn't the HDZ also a world leader of artificial insemination for Tigers? That might be part of the motivation of the Chinese government for loaning the HDZ a Panda over another zoo.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

bradley414 wrote:?
Isn't the HDZ also a world leader of artificial insemination for Tigers? That might be part of the motivation of the Chinese government for loaning the HDZ a Panda over another zoo.
A pair of Pandas would be cool but with one female and HDZ AI work, a panda pregnancy and cub would be a even bigger draw. Can't wait to hear the news. :)
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

KETV story: http://www.ketv.com/news/6287063/detail ... a&psp=news

A panda symposium brought a couple of dozen experts from around the world to HDZ to discuss species preservation.

One of those in attendance was the head of the Office of Giant Panda Conservation, Dr. Don Lindburg who is with the San Diego Zoo.
I think this is one of the best-kept secrets in all of the zoo world and beyond," said Dr. Don Lindburg, with the San Diego Zoo. "It's very clever. It really makes you feel like you're out in the wild.
Lindburg added, Henry Doorly would be a good choice because of its research facilities and its strong background in design.
Sounds like this is still going to take a while...
Simmons said Omaha may only be a couple of years away from getting a decision. The zoo has already started drawing plans for a building, but there's plenty more to do.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

From the same conference (Giant Panda Species Survival Plan's annual meeting):

Omaha zoo could be 'next in line' for giant pandas
Omaha World Herald wrote:They heard a proposal from the University of Nebraska's Kiewit Institute that could have an impact on Omaha's panda quest, said zoo director Dr. Lee Simmons. The project would use computer-based technology linked with a satellite to monitor giant panda habitat in real time over the Internet.
Omaha World Herald wrote:The proposed technology could provide temperature and humidity readings, live video and audio, overhead photography and digital still photographs on the ground. The zoo could use the technology to assist the Chinese in managing habitat for the giant pandas.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

San Diego, 3 other zoos want to pay China less for renting the animals

The San Diego Zoo may have the hottest panda program in the United States, but it says it cannot continue to pay $1 million a year to rent the black-and-white fur balls from China.

The zoo is among four nationwide that have told China they want to renegotiate the fee when their contracts are up, starting in 2008.

“There have been serious discussions by representatives of the four zoos to ask if there are ways that the price of keeping pandas can be negotiated downward,” said Don Lindburg, head of San Diego's Giant Panda Conservation Division.
Competition may be looming for the four American zoos in their back yards.

Zoos in Oakland and Omaha, Neb., have been pursuing pandas for several years. A recent story in the Omaha World-Herald suggested the city is next in line for pandas if San Diego doesn't renew its contract.

Towne acknowledged the competition.

“That's part of my job, to make sure we don't stab each other in the back,” Towne said. “China is very astute. They are world traders, and they've got a willing buyer out there.”

But a reshuffling of pandas among U.S. zoos may not be best for the endangered bears, he said. “Having four or five institutions drop out and then have two new ones step in is not necessarily the answer,” Towne said.

The San Diego Zoo has amassed considerable expertise in panda breeding, which a zoo new to pandas would not have.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Omaha zoo group in D.C. to 'adopt' panda in China

Representatives from Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo are in Washington, D.C., today to meet with Chinese officials and symbolically adopt a giant panda cub.

The panda will continue to live in China.

The "adoption" consists of donating funds to support Chinese efforts to preserve and protect pandas, an endangered species. The amount of the donation will be announced today at a ceremony in the Chinese Embassy.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Is this really a rumor anymore?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah nothing has come out about it lately WTD?
15-17, 26, 32
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

The process takes a long, Long, LONG... time.

Although it may be expedited somewhat by San Diego Zoo apparently whining about the 'rental' fees... wanting to re-negotiate.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

jhuston wrote:The process takes a long, Long, LONG... time.

Although it may be expedited somewhat by San Diego Zoo apparently whining about the 'rental' fees... wanting to re-negotiate.
I've been to Beijing twice. I've learned a few things about the Chinese. First off, they'll eat dang near anything. Secondly, the entire country and culture works on a relationship and favors system. Someone in my company once shipped an electronics component to china by himself, and it took 9 weeks to clear customs. While waiting, he shipped another part through someone in our corporate shipping (versus our division) who had a working relationship and got it through in a day.

It's so ingrained that it's happening all the time all around and an outsider might not even notice. And that's just for little things. Big things like a Panda... well, as Jeff said. it's a long process of building a relationship and currying favors.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Wow, it sounds like the Chinese won't give anyone a panda unless you BLEEP their BLEEPs and call them the next day.

It's nice that when we do get the ONE panda (sad...that the panda has to live in isolation from the rest of its species) it will be such an honor.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

expedited somewhat by San Diego Zoo apparently whining about the 'rental' fees... wanting to re-negotiate.

This was in the news earlier in March
Giant pandas are a popular zoo attraction in the United States. But the high cost to "rent" the black-and-white bears from China may force some zoos to close their exhibits. Today zoos in Atlanta, Georgia; Memphis, Tennessee; San Diego, California; and Washington, D.C., rent pandas for display and research.
The loan agreements, most spanning ten years, have become a financial headache for the nation's zoos.

"It's tough for a zoological institution like ours, or the other three zoos [with pandas in the U.S.], to sustain that level of spending indefinitely," said Dennis Kelly, chief executive of Zoo Atlanta.

Both Zoo Atlanta and the San Diego Zoo's panda exhibits lose money.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... andas.html
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

I am just going to say it again. The money would be better spent on something else. 1 million a year is a big drain on the zoo. They should spend that money on a new exhibit bigger and better than anything they have built before. Let the other zoos lose money on Pandas, I thought HDZ was smarter then that.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

I believe Walter Scott and others will be underwriting much of the cost. The zoo can afford it, and the prestige it will bring is significant.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Im pretty sure its worth it for th zoo. And I doubt we will stop getting new things after we land the bears.
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

No offense Raraavis, but I think they know a little more about operating a zoo than you or I. I'm sure they researched the impact it would have on the zoo and took well into account the cost. They know what they are getting into.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

My guess is the other 4 zoos also knew what they were getting into with the Pand, but have found out that the costs have started to outweigh the benefits, which is one reason they are trying to renegotiate with China.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I know its alot of coin to bring the panda here, and I'm sure the zoo has figured in the inital wave of people and the following decline, especially with the other zoos financial concerns in the news. With Mr. Scott and others chipping in, I'm sure they are ready to move forward with this. Bring on the pandas! :D
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Good point Uffda. Out here in DC, ther were lines and lines each Spring to see if the two pandas would fornicate (Give them some privacy - no wonder nothing happened the first few years!). Then, the pregnancy brought crowds, then the birth of the cub brought crowds. Now, the novelty has somewhat worn off and it has been hard to justify the price.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

I understand many of you here routinely travel between these other cities and Omaha in your big hummers and suv's, so these pandas are apparently old news. But I suspect there is an as yet untapped number of more typical midwesterners who are just waiting to get a chance to see these animals in Omaha, and HDZ's loyal membership bearing patrons like to see these things over and over again)
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

:roll:
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I'll drive a Suburban hundreds of miles to see a pink dancing elephant.
Image____________________________________________________ Image
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

the1wags wrote:I know its alot of coin to bring the panda here, and I'm sure the zoo has figured in the inital wave of people and the following decline, especially with the other zoos financial concerns in the news. With Mr. Scott and others chipping in, I'm sure they are ready to move forward with this. Bring on the pandas! :D
I'm kind of curious as to the operating cash flow of HDZ... Some zoos require substantial money just to keep day to day operations... I suspect HDZ isn't having that problem, though.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

adam186 wrote:I'll drive a Suburban hundreds of miles to see a pink dancing elephant.
Anything to use a cute new emoticon.
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

^Couldn't find a panda. Kinda like my dicapitating monkey instead of beating a dead horse.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

MTO wrote:
adam186 wrote:I'll drive a Suburban hundreds of miles to see a pink dancing elephant.
Anything to use a cute new emoticon.
I never realized adam186 looked like pac-man!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

in your big hummers and suv's
Hmmmm.... i drive a 96 toyota RAV4 with 154000 miles on it ..... never seen a real live panda in my life :roll:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Adopting Chinese Pandas

Washington Post wrote:"Who doesn't love pandas?" Lee Simmons , the director of the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, exclaimed Wednesday in Washington after presenting the Chinese ambassador, Zhou Wenzhong , with a check for $35,000 to support a panda adoption program.

Simmons said the money would go for the "adoption" and care of Sue Sue, a panda born Aug. 16 to XiXi at the Wolong Nature Reserve in China. Sue Sue and XiXi will remain in China, Simmons said.

"Sue Sue is really cute right now and weighs about 43-44 pounds," he said, adding that the adoption project is just one way to support conservation efforts in China.

"There have been a number of zoos and individuals who have adopted pandas who will never come to the United States," he said. "We would just love to have more pandas, and we have also been collaborating with the Chinese for the past eight years on the preservation of South China tigers."

Simmons, who was accompanied by Walter Scott , the zoo's chairman of the board, said the Henry Doorly Zoo was also working with Chinese authorities on bamboo cultivation and reforestation. "There are studies underway on the special nutritional aspects of bamboo. The health of the bamboo forest in the panda habitat is very important, and we have a rare plant lab at the Omaha zoo," he said.

Jolly bamboo chew sticks!

Baby Sue Sue, whose care is funded by an American zoo in Nebraska, is cradled by mother XiXi at China's Wolong Nature Reserve. (Wolong Nature Reserve)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Oh yeah - the official Panda Monium graphic:

adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

^Way better than my dancing pink elephant.Image :lol:
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

PBS showed a special on Pandas tonight. Turns out they're actually omnivorous.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Does that mean they see me when I'm sleeping, like Santa and Jesus?

;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big E wrote:Does that mean they see me when I'm sleeping, like Santa and Jesus?
No silly. It means when you go to the Omni theater you can see them. :roll:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Zoo hopes shared bamboo research aids panda bid
Omaha World Herald wrote:Zoo Director Lee Simmons said Thursday the zoo's rare-plant lab has studied the micro-propagation of bamboo, pandas' primary food. Its work caught the attention of conservationists in the Wolong Nature Reserve in China. The Chinese asked to send experts from Wolong to study the Omaha zoo's research, which may help the reserve grow new bamboo stands for pandas to eat. "We said yes," Simmons said. "Collaborative conservation is what it's all about." No timetable has been set for the visit. The Chinese are interested because the panda population in Wolong has been "exploding" due to habitat preservation and other scientific work at the four U.S. zoos with giant pandas, Simmons said.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Big E wrote:Does that mean they see me when I'm sleeping, like Santa and Jesus?

;)

-Big E
Or it means that pandas are even more of an evolutionary joke. Too lazy to screw, and they eat only dessert.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

My source at the Zoo tells me that Doc basically said that if China wants us to have pandas they can come talk to us, we are not wasting any more resources on them.  He said that the zoo has way too many other important things going on where a panda exhibit is just not worth the work.

New projects include a refurbished Pachoderm(sp) hill.  A new "Madagascar Island" and continued refurbishment of the Cat complex.