Downtown HDR Corporate Headquarters

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: Downtown HDR Corporate Headquarters

Post by RNcyanide »

Parking wasn't an issue? |expletive|, please.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

edsas wrote:I heard Stothert on KFAB this morning. It sounds like LOT B in downtown is very much in play for HDR. It was one of 12 sites the city initially proposed to HDR. The issue with the initial site appears to be that HDR doesn't want the city to acquire any property on its behalf through imminent domain.

Anyway, it blows that groundbreaking for this isn't going to happen this summer as discussed, but the HQ is not a dead project. I'm not sure why the hasty move to Projects Never Built. By all accounts, this project is going forward but at a different location. I say move it back to development until the new site is chosen. If it's downtown, great. The thread stays as is. If it's out by Old Mill or Boys Town, then move it to suburbs. But why put it here when "never built" is not an accurate reflection of the project's status?
Lot B would be really interesting. MECA doesn't want a high rise, but that would be a heck of an anchor for a development there.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree, Lot B would be interesting. I would take something shorter if it meant filling in that space. Maybe a 7-8 story building with ground level retail. It would get a ton of views with all the eyes of the stadium right there.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Lot B would be a stupid spot for a corporate HQ that area should be oriented heavily on entertainment. Plus it would have to be a squaty building yuck.
15-17, 26, 32
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I'd rather see them go to the Old UP site (former Wallstreet tower) and combine it with a residential tower/parking garage to make enough income to make it happen. I don't think anything over 6 stories would be appropriate for the lot B site. Best to keep the towers closer to the CBD core.

I see the LOT B site as more suitable for entertainment/residential/retail development, more so than office.

So, the way the OWH article was written and Little was quoted, it makes it sound like a downtown is out of the running for HDR's site....I wonder if that is really true? Or is there still hope?
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I think the best scenarios we can hope for is something part of Lot B, Midtown Crossing East, or Aksarben. Quality sites very rapidly drop off after that, if they aren't considering downtown proper.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Also, according to an OWH article from this morning that I am too lazy to post, OPA was originally going to sell the lot for $3 million, but then increased the price substantially enough to motivate this move.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This was moved to Projects never built since it was their attempt at a downtown project, if another project with different plans and designs show up we can start a new thread for that location. It is looking more like a suburban project and not an urban one, and I agree, Lot B would be a horrible placement since it would go against city plans for an entertainment district.
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

After first reading the OWH article, it seemed like the major reason was OPA upping the agreed upon price for the building site. However, after reading HDR's statement, it is apparent to me that they simply decided that they don't want to move to downtown.

My first thought after seeing the headline that HDR was "scapping its plans" was it meant that it was making major changes to the design.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

GetUrban wrote:I'd rather see them go to the Old UP site (former Wallstreet tower) and combine it with a residential tower/parking garage to make enough income to make it happen. I don't think anything over 6 stories would be appropriate for the lot B site. Best to keep the towers closer to the CBD core.

I see the LOT B site as more suitable for entertainment/residential/retail development, more so than office.

So, the way the OWH article was written and Little was quoted, it makes it sound like a downtown is out of the running for HDR's site....I wonder if that is really true? Or is there still hope?
I didn't actually know where Lot B was when I heard Stothert mention it. So I looked it up and saw that it's 12th and Cass. I agree, not a viable spot for HDR. :(
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Let's say I think that I have enough money to design my new house, and I want to have it built on this perfect lot in a perfect neighborhood. But I don't own the lot. I could go forward with my plan by:
(A) First purchasing the lot outright, or at least securing an option to buy the lot for an agreed to price. Then I could finish the design plans for the house and see if I can actually afford to build it.
Or,
(B) I could shell out beau coup bucks to finish the design plans for my dream house, and agree to move out of my existing house by a date certain, and then and only then I try to reach an agreement with the property owner to sell me the land at a price I determine I am willing to pay.

One path is the path of prudence and business sense. The other is the path of folly, and the Heigth of being Dumb and Ridiculous, or HDR for short.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Coyote wrote:This was moved to Projects never built since it was their attempt at a downtown project, if another project with different plans and designs show up we can start a new thread for that location.
Fair enough. I was trying to remain upbeat about this horrible news and I didn't realize where Lot B actually was.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nativeomahan wrote:Let's say I think that I have enough money to design my new house, and I want to have it built on this perfect lot in a perfect neighborhood. But I don't own the lot. I could go forward with my plan by:
(A) First purchasing the lot outright, or at least securing an option to buy the lot for an agreed to price. Then I could finish the design plans for the house and see if I can actually afford to build it.
Or,
(B) I could shell out beau coup bucks to finish the design plans for my dream house, and agree to move out of my existing house by a date certain, and then and only then I try to reach an agreement with the property owner to sell me the land at a price I determine I am willing to pay.

One path is the path of prudence and business sense. The other is the path of folly, and the Heigth of being Dumb and Ridiculous, or HDR for short.
That is a good way to look at it.

As mentioned on this thread as well, this whole fiasco has to hurt the reputation of HDR at least a little. You want to be respected by your peers and others as an architectural, engineering and planning services firm but this in no way makes it look like you know what you are doing. You can't even complete plans for your own HQ's, what makes a prospective client think you would be a good option for them?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

edsas wrote:I heard Stothert on KFAB this morning. It sounds like LOT B in downtown is very much in play for HDR. It was one of 12 sites the city initially proposed to HDR. The issue with the initial site appears to be that HDR doesn't want the city to acquire any property on its behalf through imminent domain.

HDR on Lot B? God help us all. Yikes.
No posts exist for this topic
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

MadMartin8 wrote:

Yeah....the only way I see that potentially working is if it were a 7-8 floor building like the Hilton and it borders Cass. Alvine going to 12th and Cass would make it a little more palatable.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I've kind of given up on any suburban companies locating downtown. If they're not down there already, I'm not counting on anyone moving there at this point. Plus, as someone mentioned earlier, downtown might become more suited for the needs of smaller startups, which could be a unique venture on its own.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

RNcyanide wrote:Parking wasn't an issue? |expletive|, please.
Right???? If New York, LA, Dallas, Denver, etc. can build a dense downtown and figure out parking, Omaha (population nothing) should be able to figure out parking with our not-so-dense downtown. Gimme a break.
Last edited by choke on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

choke wrote:
Right???? If New York, LA, Dallas, Denver, etc. can build a dense downtown and figure out parking, Omaha (population nothing) should be able to figure out parking with our not-so-dense downtown. Gimme a break.
There was an article a little ways back that said they were still short about 100 stalls. Aside from parking, as I mentioned in another thread, I bet there were enough employees who lived 5000 miles to the west that made a stink about the commute downtown.

The Bride
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

choke wrote:
Right???? If New York, LA, Dallas, Denver, etc. can build a dense downtown and figure out parking, Omaha (population nothing) should be able to figure out parking with our not-so-dense downtown. Gimme a break. And, yes I understand they have better mass transit systems. But we can't improve ours until we start needing to do it. Sorry. I added on after you replied.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

NEDodger wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Yeah....the only way I see that potentially working is if it were a 7-8 floor building like the Hilton and it borders Cass. Alvine going to 12th and Cass would make it a little more palatable.
Lot B might not be so terrible, it is a big lot. It could be like a Capitol District Part 2 with HDR occupying the office component.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

edsas wrote:
Coyote wrote:This was moved to Projects never built since it was their attempt at a downtown project, if another project with different plans and designs show up we can start a new thread for that location.
Fair enough. I was trying to remain upbeat about this horrible news and I didn't realize where Lot B actually was.
Yeah. This project is likely dead as a doornail for downtown.. And Lot B? Give me a break.. Just don't see it..

I'm not "in the know" as it relates to HDR's leadership.. But having spent more than my fair share of time in board rooms during important, company changing meetings, the sh!t sandwich HDR prepared for Omaha yesterday had more behind it than their relationship and negoitiations with OPA.. Sure, cost is always a top tier factor in decisions of this size and scope.. Let's remember the timeline- June/2015 HDR announces to the media they plan to build a HQ high rise in downtown Omaha.. They take their time.. Then on January 25th 2016, HDR unveils multiple renderings and a formal announcement of their DT HQ specs and time table for groundbreaking and completion.. 73 days later, April 7th, they announce they're scrapping the idea. In just 73 short days?.. :what: ..

Again, my instinct tells me more was in play than the riff- raff with OPA.. I suspect enough negative vibes from upper level management employees who live in west Omaha suburbia, whining about crappy parking after having to drive "all the way downtown" was the actual nail on the coffin.. You'd think a company like HDR would make sure all, internally, are completely committed to see through a downtown HQ move before making multiple announcements to the media of their intent to build downtown, provide a timeline, and give multiple project renderings..

In the end, my belief is, they simply decided they didn't want to be downtown.. I'm okay with that.. But the process by which they came to their ultimate conclusion is complete and total BS.. The embarrassment and loss of respect included...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

It's disappointing, but not the end of the world. At least the company isn't relocating across the river. In my opinion, as long as the city has a public transportation system that is joke West of 72nd St., commuting concerns will be a large barrier for any company with a large suburban dwelling workforce locating an office downtown.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

jessep28 wrote:It's disappointing, but not the end of the world. At least the company isn't relocating across the river. In my opinion, as long as the city has a public transportation system that is joke West of 72nd St., commuting concerns will be a large barrier for any company with a large suburban dwelling workforce locating an office downtown.
And then trying to convince said suburbanians to actually use public transit. I honestly have no hope for the future of public transit in this city.

The Bride
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

choke wrote:
Lol...the way you said that. "Population nothing..." lol (Hey...we've almost reached a million people!)

TORNADO: Thanks for your response. It sounds like that lot won't ever get built on. But, that is attractive spot in downtown, I would think. I'm surprised by the turn of events in a way, but these deals can be fragile. I agree with another forum member that said something like "I won't believe a proposal anymore...until I see cranes on the skyline" (or something like that).

I just saw an article in the paper today. As much as we are disappointed, and the city, it sounds like HDR has some disappointments of their own, too. I'm looking forward to seeing where they build in the metro. Are they going to use the same sharp design they revealed, I wonder?

Speaking of empty lots, I would love if they would build on that woodsy large lot right east of Westroads. Is anybody going to ever build on that? I hope one spectacular & tall suburban office building goes up there. It would be very visible from all over, and could be an architectural landmark to anchor the area. If you can believe it, there's still a fairly narrow lot available between the Regency Marriott and the Regency Center -- but, I don't think that lot is near big enough for them.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

RockHarbor wrote:
choke wrote:
Lol...the way you said that. "Population nothing..." lol (Hey...we've almost reached a million people!)

TORNADO: Thanks for your response. It sounds like that lot won't ever get built on. But, that is attractive spot in downtown, I would think. I'm surprised by the turn of events in a way, but these deals can be fragile. I agree with another forum member that said something like "I won't believe a proposal anymore...until I see cranes on the skyline" (or something like that).

I just saw an article in the paper today. As much as we are disappointed, and the city, it sounds like HDR has some disappointments of their own, too. I'm looking forward to seeing where they build in the metro. Are they going to use the same sharp design they revealed, I wonder?

Speaking of empty lots, I would love if they would build on that woodsy large lot right east of Westroads. Is anybody going to ever build on that? I hope one spectacular & tall suburban office building goes up there. It would be very visible from all over, and could be an architectural landmark to anchor the area. If you can believe it, there's still a fairly narrow lot available between the Regency Marriott and the Regency Center -- but, I don't think that lot is near big enough for them.
Funny you mention that.... that woodsy area next to Westroads is the Leo A. Daly property haha.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Is it?! I had no idea. I learn so many things from everybody here.

That's so great to hear! That man, and his firm, they really do great things in Omaha -- and all over. So, I'm confident they will design something wonderful for that lot. They created the Woodmen, the Tower at First National Center, the SAC Building in Papillion, ect. In his designs, I just feel like he "feels" Omaha, and does what is likeable & appropriate, or something.

OK, as far as great suburban design goes, this is the ATHENE building in West Des Moines. I wish our Ameritrade Building looked more like this in Old Mill. I just feel like this building is more appropriate to insert into a suburbanscape (of houses, buildings, and businesses sitting at different angles on mostly curvy roads) than the Ameritrade* in Old Mill is, with its rigid squarish shape, green glass, and speckled-window backside. I just feel like Des Moines "gets it" sometimes better than Omaha does, and makes a more appropriate choice. Here's a pic: http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5 ... 03_001.jpg

*I really like the Ameritrade building, and I'm not criticizing it. I think it is sharp, and I love green glass, and the X-bracing, and pillars. I would like it better on the urban grid in Aksarben Village, I think. I do wish the backside had the crisp lines & strips of windows (like the front), and the speckling of windows (said to mimic ticker tape) would have been confined only to the narrow sides. To me, that broad backside of speckled windows is just "too funky" for the area (at this point, at least).
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Maybe LaViata will lure them to Westport. Direct interstate access. Hotels nearby. And corn fields.

Honestly, if I was in upper management of HDR I don't know how I could get up this morning and face the world. I would bet that even my 10-year-old child's classmates would be laughing at me as I dropped my little urchin off at school. Talk about a humiliating turn of events for this once proud corporation.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nativeomahan wrote:Maybe LaViata will lure them to Westport. Direct interstate access. Hotels nearby. And corn fields.

Honestly, if I was in upper management of HDR I don't know how I could get up this morning and face the world. I would bet that even my 10-year-old child's classmates would be laughing at me as I dropped my little urchin off at school. Talk about a humiliating turn of events for this once proud corporation.
LOL. Agreed...

And for those that reason HDR's decision isn't "the end of the world" as they claim to want to retain an Omaha HQ base.. I agree. However, how they came to their decision to reject downtown Omaha is what I have an issue with.. Don't release a presser in June/2015 triumphantly claiming a new HQ move to downtown Omaha.. Then, after "careful consideration" on January 25th, 2016, roll out to local media multiple renderings, specs and a timetable for groundbreaking and completion.. THEN a mere 73 days later, float the TURD that you've scrapped your plans..

That's complete and utter BS. I have no issue with a company wanting to locate their "world HQ's" in suburban Omaha.. Just don't sell the public with the pomp and circumstance that you're building in downtown.. Then yank the idea like a butt hurt school child..

Again, that's what I have the issue with.. And HDR has lost my respect over it.. And I suspect I'm not the only one who feels the same way...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nativeomahan wrote:Maybe LaViata will lure them to Westport. Direct interstate access. Hotels nearby. And corn fields.

I thought I read where they want to stay WITHIN the city of Omaha, but I don't know. Honestly, besides downtown, where else would a classy firm like HDR build their HQ besides Aksarben Village, or some lot along Dodge in West Omaha? There's a lot (or two) left in the FNB Business Park. There's some new office lots along Dodge way out west (around 180th). There's that one lot left in Regency, I mentioned. The big lot adjacent to Westroads Mall is taken. There's the Coventry Business Park.

I thought about that LaVista location, but it is Sarpy County (not Omaha), and there's a lot of big industrial businesses around there. Still, the PayPal and other office buildings & hotels in that area are nice.

Would they ever tear down piddly, little 1-story buildings on prime land in Old Mill, and put their new HQ there, sitting adjacent to the Ameritrade Building? I would love that.

Sometimes I wish I-680 continued straight northward at the Irvington/Blair exit (and eventually curved over eastward and met the existing I-680 in Iowa straight-on near Missouri Valley). Then, we would have a large new northern frontier (in Douglas County) along a freeway to develop -- including maybe a new suburban skyline. Dreaming here...
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I think the city doesn't really want any more density in Old Mill since there's only one way in/out and that would cause more traffic problems. TDA had to get some kind of pass to build their headquarters there.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I think the city doesn't really want any more density in Old Mill since there's only one way in/out and that would cause more traffic problems. TDA had to get some kind of pass to build their headquarters there.
Oh. Thanks for letting me know. Yes, Old Mill is so awkwardly hemmed-in there by that creek, West Dodge Road, and I-680. Shouldn't they build another bridge on the south end of it, to allow traffic over to 114th from there? I also sometimes wish they would get rid of those shops & that smaller hotel along Pacific (around where Ethan Allen is) to allow for a spectacular suburban building on that busy I-680 curve. After the office lots fill-up along West Dodge Road, I don't know where else gleaming, new office buildings are going to go (along a freeway) in Douglas County.

The FNB Business Park is probably the "suburban skyline" I'm happiest about nowadays. As Omaha grows, I'm happy about getting the Aksarben Village area, as it's almost Omaha's "Clayton" (outside Downtown St. Louis) or "Plaza Area" (outside Downtown Kansas City). Both those cities have nice downtowns, urban office villages in established areas, and suburban skylines further out in the 'burbs.

Anyways, with the choices available, it will be interesting to see where HDR decides to build their HQ.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

LOL. Agreed...

And for those that reason HDR's decision isn't "the end of the world" as they claim to want to retain an Omaha HQ base.. I agree. However, how they came to their decision to reject downtown Omaha is what I have an issue with.. Don't release a presser in June/2015 triumphantly claiming a new HQ move to downtown Omaha.. Then, after "careful consideration" on January 25th, 2016, roll out to local media multiple renderings, specs and a timetable for groundbreaking and completion.. THEN a mere 73 days later, float the TURD that you've scrapped your plans..

That's complete and utter BS. I have no issue with a company wanting to locate their "world HQ's" in suburban Omaha.. Just don't sell the public with the pomp and circumstance that you're building in downtown.. Then yank the idea like a butt hurt school child..

Again, that's what I have the issue with.. And HDR has lost my respect over it.. And I suspect I'm not the only one who feels the same way...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I agree. We, personally, don't have anything at stake. But I am sure there are some projects in conception or currently being built downtown that were depending on HDR building on that site. So I wonder how many projects just had the brakes put on because HDR backed out. HDR could have at least considered another location downtown. Lot B would be just fine, it is a huge lot, no different than the Capitol District project.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Mayor Stothert was just on Grow Omaha and they basically threw Gottschalk under the bus over this withdrawal...
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

OPA-1 City of Omaha-0. Enjoy your beautiful surface parking lot OPA, it's all yours for years to come!!
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

New article mentions "Don't forget the Conagra campus".

Funny, because I have been fantasizing about those lots that are just green space now... Specifically based off another comment on here about (paraphrasing) it wouldn't be hard to come up with a much better "Tornado tower".

So this was something I played around with a while ago, but imagine a good HDR building here:

There is nothing there, and what a great location IMO. Visiblity if you build up a little. The staff can walk to the old market for lunch...

Of course, just ol' Athom dreaming / thinking aloud.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

LOL. Agreed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I agree. We, personally, don't have anything at stake. But I am sure there are some projects in conception or currently being built downtown that were depending on HDR building on that site. So I wonder how many projects just had the brakes put on because HDR backed out. HDR could have at least considered another location downtown. Lot B would be just fine, it is a huge lot, no different than the Capitol District project.
Great point. Domino affect..

I've been slamming HDR pretty hard for their decision and I think they deserve the criticism.. But I also know it takes more than one to tango.. OPA and the leadership in Omaha need to share in this too. I read a piece in the W-H the other day that quoted Gottschalk as unaware of any issues or delays and that he thought the project was moving forward.. Similarly, Stothert said basically the same thing during her presser that HDR's decision was a surprise.. C'mon now..

I think lack of vision and leadership at city hall helped cave the HDR project DT. Somebody mentioned this and I reiterated it..and I'll say it again- This HDR downtown HQ project gets done if Hal Daub was mayor...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Yeah, it's hard to believe the City and OPA didn't know something was amiss. I think OPA and HDR are playing the card that says "see what happens when you don't give the movers and shakers exactly what they want from the start." :shrug:

Now Omaha is stuck with a block of barren surface parking in the heart of downtown with no higher use in sight for the foreseeable future, due to the majority owner, OPA.
Last edited by GetUrban on Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

As much as there is major disappointment among us, I think of HDR's recent decision kind of this way: If somebody backs out of getting married at the alter, with a huge wedding all planned around them, and everybody's dressed up, and the tall cake is ready to be cut, and the DJ is ready to play music, it is naturally disappointing to many souls when the wedding is off, but I don't blame the one who backed out. Because = It is their life ultimately, not the crowd around them. Did they have plenty of time to back out before the wedding? Yes. Would it have all been easier and less costly if they did so? Yes. But somehow, they were pulled straight forward to the wedding day, through all the nagging doubts, telling themselves they were doing the right thing, feeling pressured, probably fearing disappointing people. But, before the vows were said, they knew they had to back out, and run out of the church. So, I just try to find understanding & sympathy with everybody's feelings.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GetUrban wrote:Yeah, it's hard to believe the City and OPA didn't know something was amiss. I think OPA and HDR are playing the card that says "see what happens when you don't give the movers and shakers exactly what they want from the start."

Now Omaha is stuck with a block of barren surface parking in the heart of downtown with no higher use in sight for the foreseeable future, due to the majority owner, OPA.
I think you're absolutely correct here.. And how unfortunate a mess this is for downtown...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

RockHarbor wrote:As much as there is major disappointment among us, I think of HDR's recent decision kind of this way: If somebody backs out of getting married at the alter, with a huge wedding all planned around them, and everybody's dressed up, and the tall cake is ready to be cut, and the DJ is ready to play music, it is naturally disappointing to many souls when the wedding is off, but I don't blame the one who backed out. Because = It is their life ultimately, not the crowd around them. Did they have plenty of time to back out before the wedding? Yes. Would it have all been easier and less costly if they did so? Yes. But somehow, they were pulled straight forward to the wedding day, through all the nagging doubts, telling themselves they were doing the right thing, feeling pressured, probably fearing disappointing people. But, before the vows were said, they knew they had to back out, and run out of the church. So, I just try to find understanding & sympathy with everybody's feelings.
The only difference is, in this case they (HDR) knew better, given what their business does and how they present their expertise.

I'm not disappointed the buildings east of the Holland get to remain. The sad thing is we could have had it both ways.