Downtown HDR Corporate Headquarters

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Downtown HDR Corporate Headquarters

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

RockHarbor wrote:As much as there is major disappointment among us, I think of HDR's recent decision kind of this way: If somebody backs out of getting married at the alter, with a huge wedding all planned around them, and everybody's dressed up, and the tall cake is ready to be cut, and the DJ is ready to play music, it is naturally disappointing to many souls when the wedding is off, but I don't blame the one who backed out. Because = It is their life ultimately, not the crowd around them. Did they have plenty of time to back out before the wedding? Yes. Would it have all been easier and less costly if they did so? Yes. But somehow, they were pulled straight forward to the wedding day, through all the nagging doubts, telling themselves they were doing the right thing, feeling pressured, probably fearing disappointing people. But, before the vows were said, they knew they had to back out, and run out of the church. So, I just try to find understanding & sympathy with everybody's feelings.
I understand what you mean here.. Looking at the decision cup half full, there is probably truth to what you're saying..

But this Decision by HDR to pull out, the lack of leadership at city hall and the stubborn self entitlement of OPA has helped to damage potential future opportunities for downtown landing another major corporate presence which adds to the sustainable day and nighttime population of the core. We want to strengthen it.. Not weaken it..

I agree with you too, that it'll be interesting to see where HDR ultimately lands. I think MTC would be the best next choice.. I think AK Village would not be the best fit for them.. I have a feeling they'll land somewhere out west in the Boystown area..

Opportunity lost for downtown Omaha...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

GetUrban wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:As much as there is major disappointment among us, I think of HDR's recent decision kind of this way: If somebody backs out of getting married at the alter, with a huge wedding all planned around them, and everybody's dressed up, and the tall cake is ready to be cut, and the DJ is ready to play music, it is naturally disappointing to many souls when the wedding is off, but I don't blame the one who backed out. Because = It is their life ultimately, not the crowd around them. Did they have plenty of time to back out before the wedding? Yes. Would it have all been easier and less costly if they did so? Yes. But somehow, they were pulled straight forward to the wedding day, through all the nagging doubts, telling themselves they were doing the right thing, feeling pressured, probably fearing disappointing people. But, before the vows were said, they knew they had to back out, and run out of the church. So, I just try to find understanding & sympathy with everybody's feelings.
The only difference is, in this case they (HDR) knew better, given what their business does and how they present their expertise.

I'm not disappointed the buildings east of the Holland get to remain. The sad thing is we could have had it both ways.
I totally get it. Understandably, it is very disappointing. And, we all think in different ways. Trying not to look back on this, or what could have been, my thinking is more: "When one door closes, another one opens." (For example, HDR isn't building downtown, but they may put an amazing building along the West Dodge freeway, or a striking building in Aksarben Village.) Believe me, Omaha is growing quicker than it has in decades (I just saw an article in the OWH), we keep having proposal after proposal for downtown, our downtown is alive and hoppin' and envied by some cities... So, I wouldn't be surprised if something new is proposed soon, and you may just love it more than anything you've seen proposed so far. When FNB announced their new 40-story tower in 1999, I don't think any of us woke up that morning expecting that exciting announcement, and picture in the paper. You just never know!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

RockHarbor wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
The only difference is, in this case they (HDR) knew better, given what their business does and how they present their expertise.

I'm not disappointed the buildings east of the Holland get to remain. The sad thing is we could have had it both ways.
I totally get it. Understandably, it is very disappointing. And, we all think in different ways. Trying not to look back on this, or what could have been, my thinking is more: "When one door closes, another one opens." (For example, HDR isn't building downtown, but they may put an amazing building along the West Dodge freeway, or a striking building in Aksarben Village.) Believe me, Omaha is growing quicker than it has in decades (I just saw an article in the OWH), we keep having proposal after proposal for downtown, our downtown is alive and hoppin' and envied by some cities... So, I wouldn't be surprised if something new is proposed soon, and you may just love it more than anything you've seen proposed so far. When FNB announced their new 40-story tower in 1999, I don't think any of us woke up that morning expecting that exciting announcement, and picture in the paper. You just never know!
Anyone has a right to pull out before the contracts inked but we also have the right to have an opinion of them for better or worse. Downtown is doing smashing regardless however we all know projects that impact the skyline are few and far between and that's what we were getting a skyline changer. And no anything short of a downtown highrise is going to suck donkey balls especially a west dodge freeway campus! There's no sugar coating this one it was chickenshit of HDR and unless they come up with an amazing excuse they can go eat elephant dung.
15-17, 26, 32
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

MTO wrote: Anyone has a right to pull out before the contracts inked but we also have the right to have an opinion of them for better or worse. Downtown is doing smashing regardless however we all know projects that impact the skyline are few and far between and that's what we were getting a skyline changer. And no anything short of a downtown highrise is going to suck donkey balls especially a west dodge freeway campus! There's no sugar coating this one it was |expletive| of HDR and unless they come up with an amazing excuse they can go eat elephant dung.
Yes, it is disappointing. And, yes, a new West Omaha suburban building doesn't compare to a great new addition downtown. I'm just saying that I'll gladly take a neat new building in Aksarben or West Omaha 2nd. There are still some lots to fill.

I actually almost felt a tinge of envy when eyeing that parking lot HDR was going to build on (while downtown looking at the Capitol District), thinking of who would get to work there. Here I was imagining people working (in a fabulous architecture firm) getting to slip out for lunch at the new Capitol District, or maybe just work a little late and catch dinner over there, or even walk to a concert in town at the Qwest Center. Or, a walk to Gene Leahy Mall or the Old Market would be easy, too. So, I'm surprised they stopped the "good fight" to make that parcel work. That is one "perfect location" lot, imo.

At 255 feet, it would have stood as tall as the 1200 Landmark Center. It is justifiably a "skyline changer" (as you mentioned), but it wouldn't have been all that visible from other vantage points (like from the I-80/I-480 interchange area). So, thank goodness, it is not a canceling of a new 40-story tower or something.

With the Woodmen and Tower at FNC, we have some definite, abrupt vertical thrust to our skyline. For example, Phoenix is way bigger than us, but our skyline has more vertical thrust. So, I just don't want Downtown Omaha to turn into two tall towers sticking up, and this "happy little family" of 250-foot buildings around it. I was fine with another one (or two) going in, but I hope we get a beautiful building that is #2 tallest one of these days --putting the Woodmen #3.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
I understand what you mean here.. Looking at the decision cup half full, there is probably truth to what you're saying..

But this Decision by HDR to pull out, the lack of leadership at city hall and the stubborn self entitlement of OPA has helped to damage potential future opportunities for downtown landing another major corporate presence which adds to the sustainable day and nighttime population of the core. We want to strengthen it.. Not weaken it..

I agree with you too, that it'll be interesting to see where HDR ultimately lands. I think MTC would be the best next choice.. I think AK Village would not be the best fit for them.. I have a feeling they'll land somewhere out west in the Boystown area..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Omaha Cowboy: I'm sorry... I missed your comment to me. I need to slow down. :) (I almost called you "Urban Cowboy", like that movie...haha)

I see what you're saying. A lot of you on this forum think in detailed ways I don't, and everyone thinks a bit differently (for example, some of you have a sense of city politics better than I do), so I learn a lot here. My thinking honestly mostly comes mostly down to an aesthetic mindset, almost like Omaha is my "SimCity town", and I want to stand over it, and manipulate it, and perfect it, the way I want. (I'm artistic, so I'm very visual-orientated.) But, that's just a game; Obviously life doesn't work that way.

Yes, I think outside downtown, AK Village offers the urban class that matches the firm -- and what they design. Still, I like how West Dodge Road has turned into this onward "glittering corridor" of high-tech firms and offices. So, wherever they build...I feel they are making the right decision for themselves. It is their company, their hard-earned money, their future livelihood -- their ultimate choice, imo.

Have a good weekend...!
Last edited by RockHarbor on Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

RockHarbor wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Omaha Cowboy: I'm sorry... I missed your comment to me. I need to slow down. :) (I almost called you "Urban Cowboy", like that movie...haha)

I see what you're saying. A lot of you on this forum think in detailed ways I don't, and everyone thinks a bit differently (for example, some of you have a sense of city politics better than I do), so I learn a lot here. My thinking honestly mostly comes mostly down to an aesthetic mindset, almost like Omaha is my "SimCity town", and I want to stand over it, and manipulate it, and perfect it, the way I want. (I'm artistic, so I'm very visual-orientated.) But, that's just a game; Obviously life doesn't work that way.

Yes, I think outside downtown, AK Village offers the urban class that matches the firm -- and what they design. Still, I like how West Dodge Road has turned into this onward "glittering corridor" of high-tech firms and offices. So, wherever they build...I feel they are making the right decision for themselves. It is their company, their hard-earned money, their future livelihood -- their ultimate choice, imo.

Have a good weekend...!
Urban Cowboy, that has a nice ring to it :) ..

Very well put RockHarbor. It's the mix of ideas and opinions that make forums like this so great.. And I'm glad you're here and an active participant :thumb: .. You have a great weekend too...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

You, too. And, I was thinking of this: This is the first time HDR has ever done this, so in a way, I feel they deserve to be "let off the hook." In that wedding example I gave, people usually allow that type of action once -- not twice, or three times -- before they decide to stop going to your next wedding. (I have a rule for myself today: No peeking at this addictive forum until after 7pm this evening! There's a website I learned about recently called "Omaha, My Obsession." And, I chuckle at the title of that site, because it sounds like a website a lot of us could start...) Anyways, have a good one.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

RockHarbor wrote:You, too. And, I was thinking of this: This is the first time HDR has ever done this, so in a way, I feel they deserve to be "let off the hook." In that wedding example I gave, people usually allow that type of action once -- not twice, or three times -- before they decide to stop going to your next wedding. (I have a rule for myself today: No peeking at this addictive forum until after 7pm this evening! There's a website I learned about recently called "Omaha, My Obsession." And, I chuckle at the title of that site, because it sounds like a website a lot of us could start...) Anyways, have a good one.
:thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:Maybe LaViata will lure them to Westport. Direct interstate access. Hotels nearby. And corn fields.

Honestly, if I was in upper management of HDR I don't know how I could get up this morning and face the world. I would bet that even my 10-year-old child's classmates would be laughing at me as I dropped my little urchin off at school. Talk about a humiliating turn of events for this once proud corporation.
LOL. Agreed...

And for those that reason HDR's decision isn't "the end of the world" as they claim to want to retain an Omaha HQ base.. I agree. However, how they came to their decision to reject downtown Omaha is what I have an issue with.. Don't release a presser in June/2015 triumphantly claiming a new HQ move to downtown Omaha.. Then, after "careful consideration" on January 25th, 2016, roll out to local media multiple renderings, specs and a timetable for groundbreaking and completion.. THEN a mere 73 days later, float the TURD that you've scrapped your plans..

That's complete and utter BS. I have no issue with a company wanting to locate their "world HQ's" in suburban Omaha.. Just don't sell the public with the pomp and circumstance that you're building in downtown.. Then yank the idea like a butt hurt school child..

Again, that's what I have the issue with.. And HDR has lost my respect over it.. And I suspect I'm not the only one who feels the same way...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I agree. We, personally, don't have anything at stake. But I am sure there are some projects in conception or currently being built downtown that were depending on HDR building on that site. So I wonder how many projects just had the brakes put on because HDR backed out. HDR could have at least considered another location downtown. Lot B would be just fine, it is a huge lot, no different than the Capitol District project.
Great point. Domino affect..

I've been slamming HDR pretty hard for their decision and I think they deserve the criticism.. But I also know it takes more than one to tango.. OPA and the leadership in Omaha need to share in this too. I read a piece in the W-H the other day that quoted Gottschalk as unaware of any issues or delays and that he thought the project was moving forward.. Similarly, Stothert said basically the same thing during her presser that HDR's decision was a surprise.. C'mon now..

I think lack of vision and leadership at city hall helped cave the HDR project DT. Somebody mentioned this and I reiterated it..and I'll say it again- This HDR downtown HQ project gets done if Hal Daub was mayor...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Yes, Hal Daub would have gotten TD Ameritrade or HDR downtown. He's a smooth talker.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:Maybe LaViata will lure them to Westport. Direct interstate access. Hotels nearby. And corn fields.

Honestly, if I was in upper management of HDR I don't know how I could get up this morning and face the world. I would bet that even my 10-year-old child's classmates would be laughing at me as I dropped my little urchin off at school. Talk about a humiliating turn of events for this once proud corporation.
LOL. Agreed...

And for those that reason HDR's decision isn't "the end of the world" as they claim to want to retain an Omaha HQ base.. I agree. However, how they came to their decision to reject downtown Omaha is what I have an issue with.. Don't release a presser in June/2015 triumphantly claiming a new HQ move to downtown Omaha.. Then, after "careful consideration" on January 25th, 2016, roll out to local media multiple renderings, specs and a timetable for groundbreaking and completion.. THEN a mere 73 days later, float the TURD that you've scrapped your plans..

That's complete and utter BS. I have no issue with a company wanting to locate their "world HQ's" in suburban Omaha.. Just don't sell the public with the pomp and circumstance that you're building in downtown.. Then yank the idea like a butt hurt school child..

Again, that's what I have the issue with.. And HDR has lost my respect over it.. And I suspect I'm not the only one who feels the same way...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I agree. We, personally, don't have anything at stake. But I am sure there are some projects in conception or currently being built downtown that were depending on HDR building on that site. So I wonder how many projects just had the brakes put on because HDR backed out. HDR could have at least considered another location downtown. Lot B would be just fine, it is a huge lot, no different than the Capitol District project.
Great point. Domino affect..

I've been slamming HDR pretty hard for their decision and I think they deserve the criticism.. But I also know it takes more than one to tango.. OPA and the leadership in Omaha need to share in this too. I read a piece in the W-H the other day that quoted Gottschalk as unaware of any issues or delays and that he thought the project was moving forward.. Similarly, Stothert said basically the same thing during her presser that HDR's decision was a surprise.. C'mon now..

I think lack of vision and leadership at city hall helped cave the HDR project DT. Somebody mentioned this and I reiterated it..and I'll say it again- This HDR downtown HQ project gets done if Hal Daub was mayor...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Yes, Hal Daub would have gotten TD Ameritrade or HDR downtown. He's a smooth talker.
:thumb: :thumb: ...

Cisco..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Why did he lose re-election?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

Driving down the West Dodge corridor today, i really analyzed the existing lots available for a company like HDR. I can't imagine FNB business park having nearly enough space for a headquarters. There's just not a sufficient amount of area left to build. There is a nice chunk of land on the SouthWest corner of 132nd and Dodge on Boystown land, but this would entail a lot of utility, infrastructure, and excavation detail. Someone mentioned earlier the South West corner of 144th and Dodge but that would mean tearing down all those Boystown farms, unless they are going a little further South between Millard North High School and the farms. If this is the lot they choose that would be the ultimate slap in the face for us urban development fanatics. THE BRIGHT SIDE THOUGH, There is enough space in that lot that HDR could probably get by with surface parking for every single employee plus guests and still have room for a massive 1 maybe 2 story building with a couple solar panels on top for leed. As for visibility for clients coming in from Eppley, they could put a 300ft flag pole out front with a nice LED light on top and HDR flag. :)
guest2016
New to the Neighborhood

Post by guest2016 »

<comment deleted>
Last edited by guest2016 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Oh, interesting... I never considered them building on some of the existing Boys Town land, as I didn't realize that Boys Town was going to sale anymore of that land off. I wouldn't mind all those cornfields eventually turned into high-tech office parks, and stuff.

I looked at the Douglas County assessor site, and I don't see that the big woodsy lot adjacent to Westroads is owned by Leo A. Daly. It doesn't say his name (that I can see), so I'm confused. There's also a narrow lot across 96th from that, but that looks too narrow for their company. You're right; the one lot left in the FNB Business Park looks too small to me, too. There's two major lots available near Costco, on that side of Dodge, but one is planned as "Candlewood Hills", and I'm not sure about the other. The area around 180th has some nice lots, I noticed.

Sometimes I don't know why they can't just find 2-3 companies interested in moving downtown, and just build one sharp, handsome, taller tower to hold them all. They could lease their floors, or they could all share in the cost of construction and own their floors. That way, we would avoid too many shorter buildings downtown and gobbling up lots with them. Just my $.02.
Last edited by RockHarbor on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The Leo A. Daly site was owned by a family member of theirs. There's a thread on it in the suburban forum.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

RNcyanide wrote:The Leo A. Daly site was owned by a family member of theirs. There's a thread on it in the suburban forum.
Oh, thanks. I was sure the information I was told was accurate, but I wasn't sure why that big lot didn't say his name. In fact, that lot seems to have two parts to it. I'm just shocked there still is a big lot even there. Is Leo A. Daly planning to build his headquarters on it?

I'm so used to woods being there, existing there my entire life, I hardly notice it. In fact, if they clear out all those trees someday, it will look strange, I think, as we are all so used to seeing trees standing there to the east of the mall. If they build a spectacular office building there, maybe they can keep some of the tall trees around the structure.
guest2016
New to the Neighborhood

Post by guest2016 »

<comment deleted>
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

I still think MTC is doable - if Phase Two is really going to happen, Mutual would be foolish to overlook HDR as an anchor. I'm not sure what the long term plans of the southern "Twin Tower" are, but I would think there would be plenty of room on the Sam's Liquor and Runza sites to have an HDR building with a skybridge across Farnam to a new parking garage. I would think demolition of those two plots would only take about a week....?
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

It's interesting thinking of HDR possibly being involved in the Midtown Crossing site. I didn't realize MOO had purchased some of that land until I looked at the Omaha Development map posted here (which coded that area black, if I remember right). It would be neat right there. It is exciting to see where they land in the metro.

Guest2016: Thanks for the explanation on that lot (by Westroads). When I clicked on the lot, I saw the "Rosemary's Baby" title listed as the owner, and it confused me all the more, since that is a title of an old horror movie. I didn't know what to think. :)
guest2016
New to the Neighborhood

Post by guest2016 »

<comment deleted>
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

I totally agree. I can't see this going anywhere but the West Dodge corridor. All the Midtown Crossing talk, lot B talk, AV talk, Lanoha lot talk, is all pipe dreams. HDR is not going to pull out of downtown, regardless of the situation, without having this second site chosen and most likely finalized. I would assume the area they chose would be an open field that entails no demolition, no unexpected holdups of any kind. So anywhere from 168th to 192nd and Dodge would be my best guess unfortunately. As for the PREMIER Spot and visibility, anything out that far West will definitely be seen from all angles, the only problem is the only people seeing it will be the employees and soccer moms.
guest2016
New to the Neighborhood

Post by guest2016 »

<comment deleted>
Last edited by guest2016 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I agree with most of what you are saying guest2016, but you may be underestimating how important the architectural image is that some of their employee-owners, especially architects, want to convey to the outside world. They want to "walk the talk" of espousing the importance of innovative, cutting-edge architectural design and technology, so they can convince their clients of the importance of embracing notable architectural design. They want to gain recognition from their peers in the architectural profession by earning awards for their creations. And perhaps most importantly, they want to attract the most talented potential employees to join and stay with the firm. The best way to do that is to inspire awe through their accomplishments in architectural design. It is well known that recent graduates and younger architects are looking for a more urban setting to work and play. Even those looking to eventually raise kids are looking for a balance. I've heard the withdrawal from the 11th-12th-Dodge-Capitol site was a huge surprise to some employees within.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
guest2016
New to the Neighborhood

Post by guest2016 »

<comment deleted>
Last edited by guest2016 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

All those cry babies raised a ruckus to save those little buildings and no party to celebrate their victory?!
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MTO wrote:All those cry babies raised a ruckus to save those little buildings and no party to celebrate their victory?!
You weren't invited.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

guest2016 wrote:
GetUrban wrote:I agree with most of what you are saying guest2016, but you may be underestimating how important the architectural image is that some of their employee-owners, especially architects, want to convey to the outside world. They want to "walk the talk" of espousing the importance of innovative, cutting-edge architectural design and technology, so they can convince their clients of the importance of embracing notable architectural design. They want to gain recognition from their peers in the architectural profession by earning awards for their creations. And perhaps most importantly, they want to attract the most talented potential employees to join and stay with the firm. The best way to do that is to inspire awe through their accomplishments in architectural design. It is well known that recent graduates and younger architects are looking for a more urban setting to work and play. Even those looking to eventually raise kids are looking for a balance. I've heard the withdrawal from the 11th-12th-Dodge-Capitol site was a huge surprise to some employees within.
I'm not underestimating the design - but look for something that is going to be relatively conservative. It'll be nice, but nothing that a typical Omahan would look at and be like "oh my." Some of the examples people gave on here of their good designs (http://www.hdrinc.com/sites/all/files/c ... y-8089.jpg) are still fairly conservative by architecture standards. A similar building would showcase architectural chops, but is also not something far out there. All I was saying is they're not adding a CCTV Tower, Guangzhou Circle, Galaxy SOHO or Gate of the Orient (what are truly architectural marvels) to Omaha. Watch for something that people on this site will complain isn't innovative or creative enough for a "global architecture firm."
Yeah, you're right about it being conservative. Moving it out of downtown was a conservative move by itself. It seems to be getting more so. Since Randy Brown left town, there really hasn't been anything controversial design-wise built in Omaha. Tack and Min|Day and now Eldorado (from KC) might be pushing it a little bit.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Coyote wrote:
MTO wrote:All those cry babies raised a ruckus to save those little buildings and no party to celebrate their victory?!
You weren't invited.
REO and Modeshift had a party right after OPA dropped its plans to have the city give them the buildings.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

RNcyanide wrote:Why did he lose re-election?
It was a close vote. Decided by 800 votes or less. Fahey won his first term.. Unfortunate for Omaha as the Daub administration was the driving force which sparked all the positive changes happening in DT from the late 90's to 2001.. Progress took an unexpected turn when Fahey won that election.. But that's another discussion for another time, lol. Fahey ran his bid for mayor taking a "fiscally conservative" stance.. This resonated just well enough with the 55 and older crowd.. It gave Fahey the nudge for his victory...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:Why did he lose re-election?
It was a close vote. Decided by 800 votes or less. Fahey won his first term.. Unfortunate for Omaha as the Daub administration was the driving force which sparked all the positive changes happening in DT from the late 90's to 2001.. Progress took an unexpected turn when Fahey won that election.. But that's another discussion for another time, lol. Fahey ran his bid for mayor taking a "fiscally conservative" stance.. This resonated just well enough with the 55 and older crowd.. It gave Fahey the nudge for his victory...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Sad.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Coyote wrote:
You weren't invited.
Probably for the best..
15-17, 26, 32
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

guest2016 wrote:
Look at the other engineering buildings in Omaha - Kiewit Plaza is old but unremarkable,

Speaking of Kiewit, I'm curious what the chances are that they would consolidate their locations (like TDAmeritrade) and build an impressive new tower downtown? They've got the money, the employee base, the civic connections and the leverage (I'm sure any streetcar system would have Kiewit stamped all over it at some point). Their current building would be a great transition to apartments, like the Highline. Heck, bring back the Blackstone as a hotel.....
guest2016
New to the Neighborhood

Post by guest2016 »

<comment deleted>
Last edited by guest2016 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

RockHarbor wrote:
choke wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:Parking wasn't an issue? |expletive|, please.
Right???? If New York, LA, Dallas, Denver, etc. can build a dense downtown and figure out parking, Omaha (population nothing) should be able to figure out parking with our not-so-dense downtown. Gimme a break.
Lol...the way you said that. "Population nothing..." lol (Hey...we've almost reached a million people!)

TORNADO: Thanks for your response. It sounds like that lot won't ever get built on. But, that is attractive spot in downtown, I would think. I'm surprised by the turn of events in a way, but these deals can be fragile. I agree with another forum member that said something like "I won't believe a proposal anymore...until I see cranes on the skyline" (or something like that).

I just saw an article in the paper today. As much as we are disappointed, and the city, it sounds like HDR has some disappointments of their own, too. I'm looking forward to seeing where they build in the metro. Are they going to use the same sharp design they revealed, I wonder?

Speaking of empty lots, I would love if they would build on that woodsy large lot right east of Westroads. Is anybody going to ever build on that? I hope one spectacular & tall suburban office building goes up there. It would be very visible from all over, and could be an architectural landmark to anchor the area. If you can believe it, there's still a fairly narrow lot available between the Regency Marriott and the Regency Center -- but, I don't think that lot is near big enough for them.
Well, Jeez. It's like we can't get a major business downtown anymore because everyone gripes about parking. Half of downtown is parking. Start going vertical or build the light rail. It seriously shouldn't be that big of an issue. Why is Omaha so inept in handling parking?
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

guest2016 wrote: I'm not underestimating the design - but look for something that is going to be relatively conservative. It'll be nice, but nothing that a typical Omahan would look at and be like "oh my." Some of the examples people gave on here of their good designs (http://www.hdrinc.com/sites/all/files/c ... y-8089.jpg) are still fairly conservative by architecture standards. A similar building would showcase architectural chops, but is also not something far out there. All I was saying is they're not adding a CCTV Tower, Guangzhou Circle, Galaxy SOHO or Gate of the Orient (what are truly architectural marvels) to Omaha. Watch for something that people on this site will complain isn't innovative or creative enough for a "global architecture firm."
I get what you're saying. With HDR's proposal for Downtown Omaha, I really liked the sharp & appropriate design, but I wasn't sure if it was going to become an instant new landmark or anything.

When a new major building is proposed downtown, I don't expect everyone of them to be a "Signature Building" like the Woodmen, or the Tower at FNC is. Those types of buildings command absolute attention, and really define the city skyline, and advertise a company. Other new buildings built are not necessarily meant to compete for attention on the skyline, or be "signature towers", but to be of shorter height, and simply fit snugly into downtown, and be a likable, nicely-designed structure. (I think of Minneapolis. They have the three "big players" on the skyline, but they also have shorter buildings that are loved & noted landmarks downtown in their own right, such as the Lutheran Brotherhood/Thrivant building, with its glassy, signature, sloping facade. There are other examples down there as well -- including a loved long, short, rectangular building by Minoru Yamasaki.)

As far as "filler buildings" go, sometimes I just want ones downtown that look simply warm & rich & handsome, and they stand there simply to offer A-level office space to smaller & elite firms downtown -- such as law firms. Austin has a handful of average-height buildings like that. Here's one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... 2010-a.JPG Here's another: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... pr2010.JPG And, here's another: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... 2009-a.JPG (The closest thing we have to those in Downtown Omaha are the brick, twin Central Park Plaza buildings, imo.)

Some new buildings downtown have that "high-tech glass box" or "high-tech glass cube" look, like our UP Headquarters, or Tulsa City Hall: http://photos.journalrecord.com/Publish ... qg4q-L.jpg I like that look, too.

CHOKE: I get ya. Way bigger cities figure those parking issues out, so we must, too, imo. Omaha is growing, and that means greater density, so we must!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I for one am glad Omaha skipped having many of those fairly bland 80's vintage mid-rise ribbon-window-banded or pyramid-top buildings in our downtown, like the first 3 examples in your post RockHarbor. I agree central park plaza is that vintage. I'm holding out for something more unusual cutting-edge and daring than those. Tack's Lanoha high-rise design is a step in the right direction. I think Omahans that care about architecture are ready too. We'll never know until somebody tries. Who knows, people might actually like it! ...just my opinion. I think HDR was aiming for more of a signature building in downtown, although it was still pretty conservative.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

GetUrban wrote:I for one am glad Omaha skipped having many of those fairly bland 80's vintage mid-rise ribbon-window-banded or pyramid-top buildings in our downtown, like the first 3 examples in your post RockHarbor. I agree central park plaza is that vintage. I'm holding out for something more unusual cutting-edge and daring than those. Tack's Lanoha high-rise design is a step in the right direction. I think Omahans that care about architecture are ready too. We'll never know until somebody tries. Who knows, people might actually like it! ...just my opinion. I think HDR was aiming for more of a signature building in downtown, although it was still pretty conservative.
I agree. It's almost like those type buildings are "empty architecture" in a way, and I know their designs are now dated & out. First, I was just pointing out they are a "type" of building that is put into and needed downtown -- among many types put in. Rather than just all signature skyscrapers, a city needs some "filler" buildings that offer A-quality, prestigious office space for smaller firms. And, second, I mentioned I like the the looks Austin has for "filler buildings" better than Omaha has. Austin's buildings give off more of a rich & prestigious impression than most of our buildings do, imo. (If you look at Omaha's tallest buildings on Wikipedia vs. Austin's tallest buildings on Wikipedia, and scroll down on each list, you'll see what I mean-- imo.)

As far as a "filler building", I would love if Omaha got one like this: http://www.ryancompanies.com/upload/US% ... per-Lg.jpg

I want more cutting edge, too. I just want anything we allow, though, to be tasteful, and have undeniably good, pleasing lines, and we consider everything before building (including lines, shades of glass, materials, colors, shapes).

I chuckle because there is a building at 132nd & Dodge (in the FNB Business Park) that went up several years ago. At first, I was like "Really? Those lines are awful! What were they thinking?" I couldn't believe it how "off" things looked. Then, months later, some major silver, retro-like accents were installed on the building, and everything suddenly looked perfect. I give the building a "thumbs up" today. So, I really do care about good, right lines... :)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From today's W-H editorial:

"Now, it appears we’ve lost the chance to move at least 900 jobs into a new downtown headquarters for HDR.
City leaders, starting with Mayor Jean Stothert, need to look closely at what happened — and how to make sure these problems don’t occur again.
The city needs to be in close touch with the business community, listening to its needs and understanding its concerns.
The city needs to do more in working with new projects, to make it as easy and fast as possible to locate, relocate or build downtown.
The city needs to acknowledge that it’s more difficult and expensive to build in a confined downtown area than in a sprawling suburban location.
And finally, the city needs to acknowledge that parking for new employees, show patrons or diners is a critical factor in these decisions..."

http://www.omaha.com/opinion/world-hera ... 4bd37.html

Of course, HDR and OPA equally shoulder blame for this mess.. But so does the leadership at city hall.. This was a 3 headed-monster of self entitlement, stubbornness, lack of attention, greed and incompetence.. And again, who loses?-

The downtown Omaha core...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:From today's W-H editorial:

"Now, it appears we’ve lost the chance to move at least 900 jobs into a new downtown headquarters for HDR.
City leaders, starting with Mayor Jean Stothert, need to look closely at what happened — and how to make sure these problems don’t occur again.
The city needs to be in close touch with the business community, listening to its needs and understanding its concerns.
The city needs to do more in working with new projects, to make it as easy and fast as possible to locate, relocate or build downtown.
The city needs to acknowledge that it’s more difficult and expensive to build in a confined downtown area than in a sprawling suburban location.
And finally, the city needs to acknowledge that parking for new employees, show patrons or diners is a critical factor in these decisions..."

Of course, HDR and OPA equally shoulder blame for this mess.. But so does the leadership at city hall.. This was a 3 headed-monster of self entitlement, stubbornness, lack of attention, greed and incompetence.. And again, who loses?-

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I knew this was coming....That article leaves out one critical point, (which the OWH probably doesn't agree with)...Businesses wanting to locate downtown need to realize they are not always going to get a blank slate to work with. There are other people already living and working in the neighborhood that also have their own needs which are equally as important. Making it "as easy and fast as possible" for major businesses should not be the overall driving factor. HDR did not show any ability to compromise. This mentality is why we no longer have Jobber's Canyon with another potential 2000 residents living east of 10th street, just west west of Conagra.

I blame HDR and their employees more than anyone else. It's hard to believe having another 1/3 of a block really could have made that much difference in what OPA could accommodate for future uses, including parking, on their property. This city has a serious addiction to excessive parking and an aversion to walking.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:From today's W-H editorial:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
As far as I'm concerned the powers that should have already known all that and if they didn't then they're beyond incompetent.
15-17, 26, 32