Downtown HDR Corporate Headquarters

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: New HDR building

Post by Coyote »

OWH wrote:World-renowned architectural and engineering firm HDR announced Tuesday that it will build its new corporate headquarters in downtown Omaha - in a high-rise containing nearly 300,000 square feet of space and stretching up to 20 stories.

Currently a parking area, the site is bounded by Dodge Street, Capitol Avenue, 11th Street and 12th Street.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Downtown is going to be fun to watch the next few years!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow, Never saw that location coming! Incredible infill!
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Awesome. I can't wait to see the design. I hope they do something radical, Omaha needs a signature building.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

While it's not a new business to Omaha, it does represent a nice investment in our community. I'm sure that HDR will build this to be impressive, because I'm sure they'll want this to be a showpiece for the quality of their work.

The location is going to be awesome as well, as it'll be sitting in prime view as you drive in from the airport as well as from the ballpark.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: New HDR Corporate Headquarters

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Flat out exciting news. When I first heard rumbling of this and saw Coyotes thread here.. I kept my fingers crossed..

Signature building indeed. I have rather high quality expectations that this HDR headquarters will be something "special"..

I'm as excited as I was in 2000-2001 when downtown began what I call "Phase I" of its transformation. The Shamrock development with the Marriott high rise and now the HDR high rise is exactly what the Doctor ordered for us "height obsessed" Omaha junkies :) .. Considering it's been awhile since we've had tower cranes In downtown Omaha, these next 3 or so years will be a real treat..

Get your cameras ready!...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Please be 20 stories. Please.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Great news! As I was walking downtown over lunch thinking how the Shamrock and HDR projects will change the look and feel of downtown, I looked over to where these building will be from the vantage point of 12th and Farnam. How cool it will be to have taller buildings east of 13th!
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I bet the other three developments (Shamrock, Civic, and Lanoha) were bummed they were not able to land this. Great for downtown. Big development had really slowed downtown (with the exception being some housing developments), nice to have this and Marriott on the way.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

WOW, I am extremely ecstatic that this is happening. Wish Pacific Life would be staying downtown as well. Brad, you are going to have to get a good aerial from the helicopter in 3 years!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Wowza, a 20 story building in that area will really stand out and be a great Gateway to the city. Can you imagine what it'll be like when, just down the street, Lanoha gets built?
No posts exist for this topic
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Great news.

The view from the third base line at TD Ameritrade will be pretty amazing in a few years!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:Wowza, a 20 story building in that area will really stand out and be a great Gateway to the city. Can you imagine what it'll be like when, just down the street, Lanoha gets built?
Potentially new 14, 10/12, 20, ~15-25 and 14+ all could be either completed or u/c along Capitol by 2020.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I just spoke with David Brown, Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce, and he made it sound like they will be buying the property, and that there will be parking "on the site."
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

They said, from the article, that it will be ready to move in by 2019 when their lease runs out on their current building. So will we probably see construction begin in......2017?
No posts exist for this topic
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

skinzfan23 wrote:WOW, I am extremely ecstatic that this is happening. Wish Pacific Life would be staying downtown as well. Brad, you are going to have to get a good aerial from the helicopter in 3 years!
Yeah we're moving from downtown just when things are going to get exciting. I am really disappointed too. I wouldn't be surprised if PacLife eventually ends up downtown again when the next lease runs out. Say in ten or fifteen years. Not predicting it. Just wouldn't be surprised.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

This is awesome for the city and for capitol avenue. It sounds to me like it will be lined with trees and talk buildings! I can't wait to see it!

I wonder if the Lanoha and civic sites will have to downsize their plans given this new building--assuming much of the demand for office space came from HDR.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

iamjacobm wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Wowza, a 20 story building in that area will really stand out and be a great Gateway to the city. Can you imagine what it'll be like when, just down the street, Lanoha gets built?
Potentially new 14, 10/12, 20, ~15-25 and 14+ all could be either completed or u/c along Capitol by 2020.
AND let's throw in the potential for twin residential towers again in CB on the river. Just awesome.

Great news.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Great win for downtown. Shamrock just got much better better as this is one ugly lot.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Super excited about this one, and since they have a deadline to vacate their space, we know with near-certainty that this will happen, which is a first in a long time. You can bet with their portfolio, this one will be iconic.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

twiztid1 wrote:Great win for downtown. Shamrock just got much better better as this is one ugly lot.
Yeah it will definitely add a lot of foot traffic for Shamrock with this. DTO has filled some really ugly surface lots in the last five years and this is a great addition.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:Awesome. I can't wait to see the design. I hope they do something radical, Omaha needs a signature building.
Something with a crown would be cool. So many of our DT buildings have flat roofs, getting an architectural element on top would help diversify the skyline and add a little height.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Just some perspective on the size of this and Shamrock.

http://www.omaha.com/money/omaha-offici ... 16b58.html
Today it’s a concrete sea of more than 800 surface parking stalls.

Within four years, the downtown section will be transformed in a major way — replaced by about 1.3 million square feet of offices, housing, a full-service hotel, restaurants, retail shops and indoor parking.

The changing downtown landscape is to come in the form of a new global headquarters announced Tuesday for engineering and architectural firm HDR. And next to HDR’s future home, which is expected to stretch 18 to 20 stories, will be the Capitol District multi-use redevelopment project now under construction.

To put it in perspective: All together, the new structures will contain more space than Omaha’s tallest building, the 45-story First National Tower.
This is going to have a massive impact on DTO. Massive infusion of residents, visitors, workers and retail options.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Having such a major company move back downtown is going to have a huge positive ripple effect in the area, increasing demand for other commercial, residential, restaurant/hospitality, maybe even retail. I was starting to worry downtown was going to eventually become mostly residential/ entertainment and continue to lose office space.

I don't think it will have a negative effect on other proposed developments with office space, since HDR was most likely going to do their own thing anyway. It would be great to hear more about what other sites they considered, but I would be surprised if they seriously considered Lanoha or Shamrock, but possibly they did consider Civic/Tetrad and the U.P. property north of Abbott. Hopefully there will be enough momentum and pent-up demand to support other planned developments with office space included.

Thank you HDR!
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

GetUrban wrote:Having such a major company move back downtown is going to have a huge positive ripple effect in the area, increasing demand for other commercial, residential, restaurant/hospitality, maybe even retail. I was starting to worry downtown was going to eventually become mostly residential/ entertainment and continue to lose office space.

I don't think it will have a negative effect on other proposed developments with office space, since HDR was most likely going to do their own thing anyway. It would be great to hear more about what other sites they considered, but I would be surprised if they seriously considered Lanoha or Shamrock, but possibly they did consider Civic/Tetrad and the U.P. property north of Abbott. Hopefully there will be enough momentum and pent-up demand to support other planned developments with office space included.

Thank you HDR!
You never know. Maybe a move like this is what it takes to draw a couple other firms to the core looking to ride the wave of momentum. I know we have been racking our brains to try and think of other big players that could anchor a tower, but look at Gavilon. How many people in this city or on this forum knew that company existed before they announced their building. There could be a few other firms around the metro looking to find some modern office space and seeing a company like HDR move downtown could validate the market for them.

Exciting times downtown thats for sure.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Im trying to recall who used to do the renderings of potential downtown buildings (besides DTO). It would be nice to get an idea of what it would all look like...for those of us who are impatient and dont want to wait for renderings.
Go Cubs Go
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

For what it's worth, i found this:

http://www.ctbuh.org/TallBuildings/Heig ... fault.aspx

There is a height calculator you can click on; according to the article, they said between 18 and 20 stories. Assuming that isnt built atop any parking structure, thats roughly 280 to 307 feet tall, or about the height of the old FNB building or UP headquarters. That would make a huge impact on the skyline from any point of view.
Go Cubs Go
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

It would be nice if they'd build something like Des Moines' EMC Insurance building, with a 'crown', or maybe like Nashville's 'batman' building... but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm sure HDR will come up with something nice, whether it's a 300 footer or not, no big deal.

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

It just hit me, that this often shared rendering of the Shamrock project... has a 'ghosted' structure on the HDR block... probably about the right height.

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

MTO wrote:Ahh this could be a big one..

occurred to me last a page ago.

Never post on ambien...
Last edited by MTO on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
15-17, 26, 32
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

An open letter to HDR. Thank you for your support of the downtown. But this comes with responsibility. You are building in a premier entertainment district. Please consider this in your building plans. Do not produce a building that goes dark at 5:30 everyday. The ground floor must contain retail and restaurant space. Parking is also very important. My home overlooks this lot and most of the time it is full. Event nights it is packed! Please build more spaces than you need, because we need them! One last thought, a HDR sponsored pedestrian bridge at 12th st. over the Gene Lehey mall would be awesome! A straight shot from the heart of the Old Market all the way to TD Ameritrade park. So welcome, welcome, welcome to the neighborhood!!
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Stargazer wrote:It would be nice if they'd build something like Des Moines' EMC Insurance building, with a 'crown', or maybe like Nashville's 'batman' building... but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm sure HDR will come up with something nice, whether it's a 300 footer or not, no big deal.
This is the kind of crown that is needed. Image
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

This building also deserves a first-class lighting scheme.
15-17, 26, 32
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
Stargazer wrote:It would be nice if they'd build something like Des Moines' EMC Insurance building, with a 'crown', or maybe like Nashville's 'batman' building... but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm sure HDR will come up with something nice, whether it's a 300 footer or not, no big deal.
This is the kind of crown that is needed. Image
Pretty crazy how they really isn't any crowns in dt Omaha. Just flat topped buildings. A good crown on a nearly 300ft building would completely revamp the dt aesthetics.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Awesome win for downtown Omaha! As a side note, it is established that HDR has an agreement with the city that no other buildings along Dodge street can block the view from HDR's office space on 84th & Dodge. Once HDR leaves that space, it might be an oppurtunity for some new infill or high rises.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
arcane
New to the Neighborhood

Post by arcane »

These are terrible building examples and it would be laughable to see anything like that designed today. Gaudy PoMo buildings of the 80s and 90s need not be replicated, ever again.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

arcane wrote:
These are terrible building examples and it would be laughable to see anything like that designed today. Gaudy PoMo buildings of the 80s and 90s need not be replicated, ever again.
I agree with arcane (and welcome to the forum). I would hope that instead of imitating some past generations designs, HDR would have enough vision to create something to be imitated in future generations of architecture. I would hope that it would be something so cutting edge that it would be iconic. I hope that it would be something we have never even imagined before, and that it would be HDR's signature piece, that people in Dubai would wet their pants over, that Sim City kids would say they want to come to Omaha to intern at the feet and learn from these guys...
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Okay, give me a little credit, I'm not suggesting that they copy these designs verbatim... but as a member of the height obsessed, I'd love to see them creatively reach skyward a bit more... nothing symbolic mind you <cough, 1776).
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

530611007.jpg
530611007.jpg (175.96 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
Or some of Shanghai's modern architecture. :)
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Coyote wrote:
arcane wrote:
I agree with arcane (and welcome to the forum). I would hope that instead of imitating some past generations designs, HDR would have enough vision to create something to be imitated in future generations of architecture. I would hope that it would be something so cutting edge that it would be iconic. I hope that it would be something we have never even imagined before, and that it would be HDR's signature piece, that people in Dubai would wet their pants over, that Sim City kids would say they want to come to Omaha to intern at the feet and learn from these guys...
would never happen. This is the city where, literally, we pride ourselves and tout our sensibilities.

The fact that FNB built a 40 story building downtown, is an anomaly. And while it isn't completely boring in its design, Leo A Daily made sure to keep it in character with Omaha.

Sometimes it feels like this forum has much higher hopes for Omaha than what Omaha Has for itself.
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill