ConAgra Campus?

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20823
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

ConAgra Campus?

Postby Coyote » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:53 pm

Does anyone know the date and history behind this proposal?

image.jpg
image.jpg (162.03 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
Image

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2748
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby RNcyanide » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:03 pm

That was part of HDR's 'Omaha 2030' master plan. A lot of that is nothing more than polite suggestion and embellishments.

http://www.hdrinc.com/portfolio/downtown-master-plan
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

Ben
Human Relations
Posts: 809
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Westside

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby Ben » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:09 am

To orient you to that sketch, its perspective is from far east in little Italy, looking westward over the UP tracks. There's actually very little of the ConAgra campus in that view...

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby GetUrban » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:05 am

To be honest, while that sketch would be better than what is there now, it would be a huge disappointment compared to the potential development possible on the Conagra site and the along the riverfront.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: West Omaha

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby OmahaOmaha » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:43 pm

I sure hope they never waste money by putting a ferris wheel down by the river. Ferris wheels are popping up all over the place now days and they're nothing special. I've been to the ferris wheels in Orlando, Atlanta, Seattle, and at The Islands in Pigeon Forge, TN. Even though they are located in areas with large amounts of tourist, there's hardly anybody riding these things. I just read last week that even Sioux City is looking at putting a ferris wheel next to the river where the old casino was. Plans also call for a pedestrian bridge over the Missouri River. If anything ever gets done down by the river, I hope they do something that is unique and original, and they don't just copy what other cities have done.

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby bigredmed » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:30 pm

Agree that the Ferris wheel has passed it's prime. The riverfront should be used for commercial purposes and more family oriented residential development so we can get downtown to have people there after 5 and on the weekends and build up businesses that are generally useful instead of a bunch of bars.

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby Brad » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:46 am

I agree about the Ferris Wheel as well. Even if it was a huge success the first year, people are not going to pay to ride it every few weeks or even every couple month. We also don't have the tourism numbers to support it either. By the end of the second year its not going to be financially sustainable. It will be like the Kearney Arch, "Yeah I went there once"...

If you look at all the popular and successful attractions in Omaha, they always have new tings to being people back over and over again. The Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha Children Museum, The Durham Museum, Kenko, and the Omaha Botanical Gardens, they are always bringing in new traveling exhibits to bring people back again.

Even the Omaha Zoo keeps adding new exhibits and remodeling current exhibits to keep things new and fresh.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: West Omaha

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby OmahaOmaha » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:06 pm

It would be nice to have something original to Omaha, but how about something similar to San Diego's Seaport Village, but only have a river town theme. Have a mix of some restaurants, bars, gift shops, and a few small areas for live bands to play. Call it something like "Omaha Landing" so we don't have to use that much hated "V" word or "P" word.

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2748
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby RNcyanide » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:12 pm

OmahaOmaha wrote:It would be nice to have something original to Omaha, but how about something similar to San Diego's Seaport Village, but only have a river town theme. Have a mix of some restaurants, bars, gift shops, and a few small areas for live bands to play. Call it something like "Omaha Landing" so we don't have to use that much hated "V" word or "P" word.


Vaginå or pènis?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: West Omaha

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby OmahaOmaha » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:05 pm

Villlage, Point, or Pointe. I think it would be nice if there was a tourist shopping area that was geared more towards younger families. I love the Old Market, but I don't think a lot of people want to drag their kids down there. The Old Markets seems to be geared more towards adults. We need a family friendly place for young families to buy all their cool Omaha t-shirts, magnets, shot glasses, etc.. Some family friendly restaurants, ice cream shops, candy stores, etc.. We need a place where young families can create some nice memories and want to return to Omaha some day.

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1722
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Midtown Crossing

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby HR Paperstacks » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:55 pm

RNcyanide wrote:
OmahaOmaha wrote:It would be nice to have something original to Omaha, but how about something similar to San Diego's Seaport Village, but only have a river town theme. Have a mix of some restaurants, bars, gift shops, and a few small areas for live bands to play. Call it something like "Omaha Landing" so we don't have to use that much hated "V" word or "P" word.


Vaginå or pènis?

:lol: That was my first thought too.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2176
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby MadMartin8 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:13 pm

RNcyanide wrote:
OmahaOmaha wrote:It would be nice to have something original to Omaha, but how about something similar to San Diego's Seaport Village, but only have a river town theme. Have a mix of some restaurants, bars, gift shops, and a few small areas for live bands to play. Call it something like "Omaha Landing" so we don't have to use that much hated "V" word or "P" word.


Vaginå or pènis?



:clap: :lol:
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2099
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:31 pm

RNcyanide wrote:
OmahaOmaha wrote:It would be nice to have something original to Omaha, but how about something similar to San Diego's Seaport Village, but only have a river town theme. Have a mix of some restaurants, bars, gift shops, and a few small areas for live bands to play. Call it something like "Omaha Landing" so we don't have to use that much hated "V" word or "P" word.


Vaginå or pènis?


Vaginå Pènis Landing
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby bigredmed » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:18 pm

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
OmahaOmaha wrote:It would be nice to have something original to Omaha, but how about something similar to San Diego's Seaport Village, but only have a river town theme. Have a mix of some restaurants, bars, gift shops, and a few small areas for live bands to play. Call it something like "Omaha Landing" so we don't have to use that much hated "V" word or "P" word.


Vaginå or pènis?


Vaginå Pènis Landing


Should there be at least one unnecessary terminal e after the pecker? After all, you want it to be classy.

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1722
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Midtown Crossing

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby HR Paperstacks » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:06 pm

bigredmed wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
OmahaOmaha wrote:It would be nice to have something original to Omaha, but how about something similar to San Diego's Seaport Village, but only have a river town theme. Have a mix of some restaurants, bars, gift shops, and a few small areas for live bands to play. Call it something like "Omaha Landing" so we don't have to use that much hated "V" word or "P" word.


Vaginå or pènis?


Vaginå Pènis Landing


Should there be at least one unnecessary terminal e after the pecker? After all, you want it to be classy.

Yes, Classi with an "I"...

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/5nk187/a- ... f-paradise

Professor Woland
Library Board
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby Professor Woland » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:47 pm

The Olde Shoppes at Towne Centre Landing pecker

User avatar
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations
Posts: 731
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:22 pm
Location: Midtown Crossings

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby Omaha_Gabe » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:27 pm

It would be much easier to sell the idea of a riverfront boardwalk or similar along the river, however, with the railroad taking up a major portion it would be tough to have such a great area I wish those tracks could be moved, but don't see that ever happening

User avatar
RockHarbor
Human Relations
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Omaha

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby RockHarbor » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:53 pm

As much as I'm glad the Con Agra site will be eventually redone (I wouldn't mind if they would put back some of the city grid they erased), and I cringe at a suburban-style campus being downtown on our river, a major contradiction sitting at the base of our skyline, I am thankful for how that campus helped Downtown Omaha reach the vibrant place it is today. It was truly a "double-edged sword" in many ways. Also: Looking at Brad's beautiful pictures across the top of this forum, I am so used to the nice picture of having this reflective lake (with a colorful-lit fountain in the middle) and the Omaha skyline looming beyond the low-rise Con Agra campus buildings. If they take some of those out, and replace them with higher residential buildings right there, that "nice picture" of blue lake/low campus/visible skyline will change a bit (obviously). But, regardless, I want urban projects downtown -- not suburban-style campuses.
"Crossroads Village" down the street from "Aksarben Village?" Does "Crossroads" have any meaning to people 20 and under? "Dodge At 72nd" is a type name I like better, drawing from the excitement of the iconic, special Omaha intersection. My $.02.

lmdramos
Library Board
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:26 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany & London, UK

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby lmdramos » Sun May 08, 2016 10:37 am

Couldn't find the ConAgra thread but saw this in the World Hearld and thought it was really cool.

http://www.omaha.com/money/what-s-next- ... 6fc33.html

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6289
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Sun May 08, 2016 10:57 am

lmdramos wrote:Couldn't find the ConAgra thread but saw this in the World Hearld and thought it was really cool.

http://www.omaha.com/money/what-s-next- ... 6fc33.html


I agree. A very nice W-H piece. I like some of the ideas these students came up with..

Forget spending thousands on "consultants".. The city should hire these UNL Architecture students. I like their vision...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

daveoma
Human Relations
Posts: 847
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: Riverfront Development (Rick's & Storz area)

Postby daveoma » Sun May 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
lmdramos wrote:Couldn't find the ConAgra thread but saw this in the World Hearld and thought it was really cool.

http://www.omaha.com/money/what-s-next- ... 6fc33.html


I agree. A very nice W-H piece. I like some of the ideas these students came up with..

Forget spending thousands on "consultants".. The city should hire these UNL Architecture students. I like their vision...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Agreed

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7890
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby MTO » Sun May 08, 2016 2:15 pm

No get some UNO students to do something not students from Omaha's dingle berry city. If not Harvard or MIT...
15-17, 26, 32

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6160
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby nebugeater » Sun May 08, 2016 7:10 pm

MTO wrote:No get some UNO students to do something not students from Omaha's dingle berry city. If not Harvard or MIT...



Can't you just agree it is some good ideas. UNO UNL what's the difference. Why get a pissing match started over it and be glad the University system for the entire state took some initiative.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20823
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby Coyote » Sun May 08, 2016 7:35 pm

nebugeater wrote:
MTO wrote:No get some UNO students to do something not students from Omaha's dingle berry city. If not Harvard or MIT...



Can't you just agree it is some good ideas. UNO UNL what's the difference. Why get a pissing match started over it and be glad the University system for the entire state took some initiative.


That is MTO's MO... :punch:
Image

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6160
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby nebugeater » Sun May 08, 2016 7:42 pm

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
MTO wrote:No get some UNO students to do something not students from Omaha's dingle berry city. If not Harvard or MIT...



Can't you just agree it is some good ideas. UNO UNL what's the difference. Why get a pissing match started over it and be glad the University system for the entire state took some initiative.


That is MTO's MO... :punch:


I get it but don't have to agree!!!!!!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby GetUrban » Mon May 09, 2016 10:49 am

nebugeater wrote:
MTO wrote:No get some UNO students to do something not students from Omaha's dingle berry city. If not Harvard or MIT...



Can't you just agree it is some good ideas. UNO UNL what's the difference. Why get a pissing match started over it and be glad the University system for the entire state took some initiative.


Not agreeing or disagreeing, but people have to understand the difference between the UNL and UNO programs. The UNL Programs are for Architecture, City Planning, and Interior design. UNO's are for Architectural Engineering related fields such as structural systems design (ie. steel and concrete beams) I'm sure there are students at UNO that would have great ideas too, but redesigning the ConAgra campus fits the curriculum of the UNL programs.

I thought it was a good article featuring some great ideas. Marty Shukert even agreed he liked the idea of re-establishing the street grid and extending it to the river.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6289
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Mon May 09, 2016 12:20 pm

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
MTO wrote:No get some UNO students to do something not students from Omaha's dingle berry city. If not Harvard or MIT...



Can't you just agree it is some good ideas. UNO UNL what's the difference. Why get a pissing match started over it and be glad the University system for the entire state took some initiative.


That is MTO's MO... :punch:


True statement. If MTO is a master at anything, it's pushing (or attempting) to push buttons, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6160
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby nebugeater » Mon May 09, 2016 1:02 pm

Here you go
Attachments
facebook-just-added-a-button-that-lets-you-ask-your-friends-why-theyre-single.jpg
facebook-just-added-a-button-that-lets-you-ask-your-friends-why-theyre-single.jpg (41.6 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby NovakOmaha » Tue May 24, 2016 7:03 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Novak you made a whole deal out of leaving......


I was reading about a redevelopment in another city & it got me thinking about the ConAgra campus.

What if the office buildings were torn down and high rise condos and apartments were built in their place with underground parking? Heartland of America Park could stay. It would be a beautiful venue for a couple or three high rise buildings.

Just a thought.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6289
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Wed May 25, 2016 12:29 am

NovakOmaha wrote: What if the office buildings were torn down and high rise condos and apartments were built in their place with underground parking? Heartland of America Park could stay. It would be a beautiful venue for a couple or three high rise buildings.

Just a thought.


Not a stretch. There is much potential in downtown. the question is, will demand dictate a series of residential development such as this downtown. I have faith it could.. As I said in a thread earlier today, the next 6-12 months should reveal some interesting development announcements for Omaha.. Business HQ's included...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby bigredmed » Wed May 25, 2016 10:38 am

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote: What if the office buildings were torn down and high rise condos and apartments were built in their place with underground parking? Heartland of America Park could stay. It would be a beautiful venue for a couple or three high rise buildings.

Just a thought.


Not a stretch. There is much potential in downtown. the question is, will demand dictate a series of residential development such as this downtown. I have faith it could.. As I said in a thread earlier today, the next 6-12 months should reveal some interesting development announcements for Omaha.. Business HQ's included...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


Not sure that residential zoning would be allowed given the ground pollution in that area secondary to the ASARCO lead plume. Sure that I would not want a small child playing in that dirt. The other thing is the water table given the Missouri. Would a large (say 10 story) building be safe to build there? We sit about 400 feet above the limestone that KCMO is built on. They can get really close to the river because like in Manhattan, they can drill down to rock pretty fast. Could such structures be built at an practical cost here?

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby GetUrban » Wed May 25, 2016 11:19 am

Unlike the Asarco site, if I'm not mistaken, the lead and other contamination was removed as part of the ConAgra development and HOA park lagoon construction. This was another cost the City of Omaha picked-up for ConAgra.

The bedrock on the Omaha side of the river is about 40' below the surface, from sections through the geologic profile. This is true for most of downtown, although the suitable bearing capacity at the surface of the bedrock can vary, necessitating boring deeper into the rock.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby NovakOmaha » Wed May 25, 2016 12:09 pm

The battery plant was where the lake is. The office buildings are pretty much where jobbers canyon was.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6289
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Wed May 25, 2016 12:25 pm

bigredmed wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote: What if the office buildings were torn down and high rise condos and apartments were built in their place with underground parking? Heartland of America Park could stay. It would be a beautiful venue for a couple or three high rise buildings.

Just a thought.


Not a stretch. There is much potential in downtown. the question is, will demand dictate a series of residential development such as this downtown. I have faith it could.. As I said in a thread earlier today, the next 6-12 months should reveal some interesting development announcements for Omaha.. Business HQ's included...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


Not sure that residential zoning would be allowed given the ground pollution in that area secondary to the ASARCO lead plume. Sure that I would not want a small child playing in that dirt. The other thing is the water table given the Missouri. Would a large (say 10 story) building be safe to build there? We sit about 400 feet above the limestone that KCMO is built on. They can get really close to the river because like in Manhattan, they can drill down to rock pretty fast. Could such structures be built at an practical cost here?


I believe it's safe to build there. I like the idea. If the investment were to be made for residential highrise (or any significant residential downtown), the question comes down to will demand dictate supply. You'd have to be pretty solid in your opinion that it would- just simply relying on the notion- "build it and they will come" would be pretty flimsy ground considering the cost and commitment involved..

All this said, I'd love to see it happen...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

Spatial77
Home Owners Association
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:41 am

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby Spatial77 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:23 pm

The ASARCO plant was north of the interstate bridge. The lagoon is where a railyard and old UP rail warehouses were. Most of the Conagra buildings are located where jobbers canyon warehouse buildings were. Lots of earth was moved for this project so lead contamination should not be a problem. Building structures with height would not be a problem either. Just look at the condo towers north of the Bob. These are right on the river in an area where the river channel has changed and moved over the years so they are built on river sediments. The jobbers canyon buildings were quite large structures, made to hold heavy loads, and they stood about a hundred years without failing, so building moderate high rise apartment buildings would be doable.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby GetUrban » Wed May 25, 2016 11:02 pm

Spatial77 wrote:The ASARCO plant was north of the interstate bridge. The lagoon is where a railyard and old UP rail warehouses were. Most of the Conagra buildings are located where jobbers canyon warehouse buildings were. Lots of earth was moved for this project so lead contamination should not be a problem. Building structures with height would not be a problem either. Just look at the condo towers north of the Bob. These are right on the river in an area where the river channel has changed and moved over the years so they are built on river sediments. The jobbers canyon buildings were quite large structures, made to hold heavy loads, and they stood about a hundred years without failing, so building moderate high rise apartment buildings would be doable.


One thing to add....the Gould Battery plant was located at 550 Farnam Street, which is contained in HOA Park, but contaminated soil was removed. I agree, there is nothing out of the ordinary that would prevent higher-rise development. The Jobbers buildings had very substantial footings. It would be interesting to know if any of those deeper footings and/or Caissons were left behind. I assume they were removed with the demolition and are now rubble in a landfill somewhere or buried on one of the many properties Anderson Excavating owns.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

daveoma
Human Relations
Posts: 847
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby daveoma » Thu May 26, 2016 12:23 am

GetUrban wrote:Unlike the Asarco site, if I'm not mistaken, the lead and other contamination was removed as part of the ConAgra development and HOA park lagoon construction. This was another cost the City of Omaha picked-up for ConAgra.

The bedrock on the Omaha side of the river is about 40' below the surface, from sections through the geologic profile. This is true for most of downtown, although the suitable bearing capacity at the surface of the bedrock can vary, necessitating boring deeper into the rock.

I would LOVE to see the map that shows the depth to the bedrock.

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby NovakOmaha » Thu May 26, 2016 8:15 am

I said it a long time ago somewhere on these boards. The area where the Heartland of America Park is was the Gould Battery Plant and when they left it was taken over by, well, hobos? Pretty scary place. I remember going down there when the park opened with the kids and it was after 10 at night. I remember thinking "Wow. 10 at night and there are families here. What a difference." Same with the Leahy mall. People went downtown at night and not just to score drugs or a "date". Yes the loss of jobbers canyon now seems like a crime but at that time a massive development happened that changed the character of downtown. Prior to that with the exception of the old market nobody went downtown after 5. It was dying.

Hopefully someone with a lot of vision and passion will figure out something for the conagra campus that will contribute to a 24 hour downtown.

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby GetUrban » Thu May 26, 2016 9:23 pm

daveoma wrote:
GetUrban wrote:Unlike the Asarco site, if I'm not mistaken, the lead and other contamination was removed as part of the ConAgra development and HOA park lagoon construction. This was another cost the City of Omaha picked-up for ConAgra.

The bedrock on the Omaha side of the river is about 40' below the surface, from sections through the geologic profile. This is true for most of downtown, although the suitable bearing capacity at the surface of the bedrock can vary, necessitating boring deeper into the rock.

I would LOVE to see the map that shows the depth to the bedrock.


Here you go....this is a scan from a color photocopy so it might be a little fuzzy. I'm looking for an on-line higher-res version, but haven't found one yet.
Image
The vertical lines are where they took borings that were needed for the I-480 bridge design.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2176
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Postby MadMartin8 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:50 am

GetUrban wrote:
daveoma wrote:
GetUrban wrote:Unlike the Asarco site, if I'm not mistaken, the lead and other contamination was removed as part of the ConAgra development and HOA park lagoon construction. This was another cost the City of Omaha picked-up for ConAgra.

The bedrock on the Omaha side of the river is about 40' below the surface, from sections through the geologic profile. This is true for most of downtown, although the suitable bearing capacity at the surface of the bedrock can vary, necessitating boring deeper into the rock.

I would LOVE to see the map that shows the depth to the bedrock.


Here you go....this is a scan from a color photocopy so it might be a little fuzzy. I'm looking for an on-line higher-res version, but haven't found one yet.
Image
The vertical lines are where they took borings that were needed for the I-480 bridge design.



This is too cool, thanks Urban.
No posts exist for this topic


Return to “Projects Never Built”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest