ConAgra Campus?

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: ConAgra Campus?

Post by Coyote »

Thanks Get Urban!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Oh man, I just hit pay dirt.... found more info on this....for you other geology nerds! Enjoy!

http://nlc1.nlc.state.ne.us/epubs/U2375 ... 7-1965.pdf
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

GetUrban wrote:Oh man, I just hit pay dirt.... found more info on this....for you other geology nerds! Enjoy!

http://nlc1.nlc.state.ne.us/epubs/U2375 ... 7-1965.pdf

Oh this is too awesome! Man you're good.
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

After its move, parts of ConAgra's riverfront campus might be redeveloped
Barbara Soderlin / World-Herald staff write wrote:It will consolidate its Omaha operations into three office buildings on the southern part of its campus, spokesman Chris Kircher told The World-Herald.

That leaves two office buildings and a wide expanse of lawn on the northern end available for a different use. Those office buildings are the ones most familiar to passers-by — the ones radiating from the flag-lined plaza off 10th Street.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

How about HDR's headquarters on the section of the ConAgra campus right on 10th & Farnam?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Midwestern wrote:How about HDR's headquarters on the section of the ConAgra campus right on 10th & Farnam?
That's looking like a real option now. Seems logical. You won't hear me protesting if the two ConAgra buildings are bulldozed! Sounds like there is already some good discussion on how to integrate some of that land back into the downtown grid. I'd love to see that happen. :yes:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GetUrban wrote:
Midwestern wrote:How about HDR's headquarters on the section of the ConAgra campus right on 10th & Farnam?
That's looking like a real option now. Seems logical. You won't hear me protesting if the two ConAgra buildings are bulldozed! Sounds like there is already some good discussion on how to integrate some of that land back into the downtown grid. I'd love to see that happen. :yes:
I agree with you both.. HDR could still locate elsewhere. But it seems to me, as stated, there are some real options for HDR to reconsider a HQ location downtown.. The idea they could locate downtown "ain't" dead yet folks :yes: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

So theoretically, the city could get rid of the other two buildings and parking, extend Harney to 9th St., which could go from Leavenworth to Farnam, line 10th St from Farnam to Howard with Old Market ground floor retail and give the HoA Park more destination space?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (179.32 KiB) Viewed 5880 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (151.42 KiB) Viewed 5880 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:So theoretically, the city could get rid of the other two buildings and parking, extend Harney to 9th St., which could go from Leavenworth to Farnam, line 10th St from Farnam to Howard with Old Market ground floor retail and give the HoA Park more destination space?
I believe that all could happen.. While adding a certain local corporate HQ's building as well :;): .. Talk about changing the size, scope and landscape of the downtown/Old Market area...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I really hope we don't tear down two Class A office buildings worth 10s of millions of dollars.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

iamjacobm wrote:I really hope we don't tear down two Class A office buildings worth 10s of millions of dollars.
"Class A" makes them sound pretty impressive. No doubt it would be difficult to financially justify tearing them down. But in the big scheme of things, that type of suburban campus and building should have never been built there in the first place. Now a chance may present itself to partially correct past mistakes. On the other hand, those buildings could be re-purposed for uses other than office space, or even reconfigured as open-plan office space. Also, the sprawling low-rise design may even be appropriate fronting the lagoon, but we shouldn't pass-up an opportunity to create a more direct connection between downtown, the Old Market, and the riverfront park. It may be possible to keep them and still re-create 9th street, if the triangular parking garage was gone.
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

There is plenty of room on the northwest corner for something substantial without touching any existing buildings.

An example of what could be there:
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

iamjacobm wrote:I really hope we don't tear down two Class A office buildings worth 10s of millions of dollars.

I disagree. I don't think they can be altered to properly fit in with the urban fabric. It would be best to get rid of them. Nothing about them is urban which doesn't make sense for the urban part of town. There's plenty of proposed office space elsewhere in and around the CBD.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

As much as I dislike the look and vibe of them, I think they should stay. That being said, that doesn't mean that they can't change the exterior of them, such as making them look more like the buildings in the OM. I think there are a lot of options that are out there that still allows us to keep them.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Here is my reasoning.

Nearly $30 million in valuation between the two buildings for the tax rolls
~250K SF of Class A office space
That much contiguous nearly move in ready space is a big selling point for lots of companies
The potential to split the space for a number of office users to diversify the job base DT
The fact that we aren't hurting for land in the core, if DTO was cramped and desperate for developable land I would get it, but we have so much freaking open land
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

They had a picture of the Chef Boy Ar Dee statue in the paper this morning. :lol: Maybe if were lucky they will take that cultural icon to Chicago and share it with those folks for awhile. What a joke.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:They had a picture of the Chef Boy Ar Dee statue in the paper this morning. :lol: Maybe if were lucky they will take that cultural icon to Chicago and share it with those folks for awhile. What a joke.

Yes, if anything positive comes out of CONAgra stabbing Omaha in the back, it will be taking that ugly statue with them.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

For what it's not worth, I think they should keep the statue here in Omaha but move it to the southwest corner of 7th and Pacific where Little Frank's Italian Restaurant used to be.

When I was a little kid, younger than kindergarten-age, I would l notice in our pantry at home the picture of Chef Boy Ar Dee on some of the food items. Meanwhile, my parents would frequent, Little Frank's and Frank, with his big, floppy chef hat, white hair and mustache, would come out to our table and check on how I liked my plate of spaghetti. And I was just awestruck. I thought I was speaking to the Chef Boy Ar Dee himself. What a bummer it was when I learned that Little Frank and Santa were frauds.

I mean, really, could anyone think of a better reason to relocate the statue. I am sure the residents of the rowhouses there would love it. :;):
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Relocate it in the middle of the damn lagoon with concrete around his feet.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I think we should relocate it to the front yard of the CEO's house, or the main entrance of his gated community. If that violates some kind of law, I like the idea of grinding it up and using the metal highschool shop classes.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

He has to have a sign though:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (113.35 KiB) Viewed 5641 times
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

I always thought it was odd that they placed the statue of the chef with his back toward the public and Omaha. I guess this was done to prepare the city for when the whole company would turn its back on Omaha.
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:He has to have a sign though:
image.jpeg
ROFL!!! :)

At least Con Ag could spell his name correctly. :) :) :)
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

bmt wrote:There is plenty of room on the northwest corner for something substantial without touching any existing buildings.

An example of what could be there:
Looks great! maybe they should move it one block west though.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So ConAgra is going to continue owning the buildings for now, but lease them out.

http://www.omaha.com/money/want-to-do-b ... 3e208.html
Two buildings in the heart of ConAgra Foods’ downtown campus are now for lease. One of the buildings housed the former executive offices of the company, which earlier this month moved its headquarters to Chicago.

ConAgra owns the buildings.

P.J. Morgan Real Estate has launched a marketing campaign to lease the two office structures, which radiate from the widely recognized promenade of flags off 10th Street.
Ryan Ellis of P.J. Morgan said he is happy with interest in the properties so far, and he has given a few tours to Omaha companies “that are pretty tech-heavy in nature.”

“There is the appeal of being so close to the Old Market,” he said. “The view of the (Heartland of America) lake and fountain is cool.”
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

No, tear those sumbitches out and the flag promenade too.

The Bride
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I suppose it's good that the buildings are not going to be abandoned, however it would be nice to see more development nearby...especially given the stellar location.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha by Design
Reimagined Exhibit Opening Aug. 5th
"Reimagined: Omaha's ConAgra Campus & Heartland of America Park"
August 5th, 6-9 p.m.

First Friday in the Old Market
at Omaha by Design
618 South 11th Street, Omaha, NE 68102

This exhibit will show works of University of Nebraska-Lincoln architecture students from the Spring 2016 semester. This work was created for an Urbanism Studio that introduces students to design at the scale of the city. Please join us for this first exhibit at the new Omaha by Design office in the Old Market at 618 South 11th Street.

he exhibit will include projects by David Alcala, Kalee Boehler, Adam Heier, Scott Kenny, Jeremy Kubitz, Katelynn Larsen, Ben Ludeman, Anne McManis, Alex Moore, Allen Phengmarath, William Pokojski, Sarah Schlegelmilch, Pierce Tallichet, Charles Weak, Adam Wiese, Hilary Wiese.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I would love it if someone took pictures and posted them in the forum. :D
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

That will be fun to see. I hope they have handouts/brochures featuring the designs. Not sure the authors would appreciate a lot of photos being made of their work, but any publicity is good publicity, I suppose.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

I would like the area turned into a sort of park with multiple museums on it. Move the Children's Museum and the Great Plains Black History Museum there, and maybe have the Joslyn spin off its modern collection into a new museum on the site too. Cap it off with a science and natural history museum and throw in some eateries (perhaps food stands, a food truck park or small restaurants) and make it part of a comprehensive Riverfront plan.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Professor Woland wrote:I would like the area turned into a sort of park with multiple museums on it. Move the Children's Museum and the Great Plains Black History Museum there, and maybe have the Joslyn spin off its modern collection into a new museum on the site too. Cap it off with a science and natural history museum and throw in some eateries (perhaps food stands, a food truck park or small restaurants) and make it part of a comprehensive Riverfront plan.
Love the idea, but oof - that'd take most of Warren Buffett's will....
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

daveoma wrote:I would love it if someone took pictures and posted them in the forum. :D

Here are some (cell phone pics) of the more realistic examples:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (63.93 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (76.86 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (68.32 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (121.55 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (95.24 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (82.28 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I like the innovation campus idea, that would be great for young professionals and businesses alike.

Too bad we'll probably get nothing near it, but hey, dreaming is free.
No posts exist for this topic
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Really like the Water Centered Development, probably because I still dream of Marina City. Innovation campus is probably my number 2 pick out of those.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I like the Water-Centered one as well, followed by Innovation & Heartland, although I'd drop the word "heartland" from the area entirely.

We can only hope they are not able to lease the un-occupied former ConAgra buildings so the land can be freed-up for something more appropriate and Urban.

I wish the UNL Architecture dept. would publish a booklet with all of the designs or at least create a webpage featuring them. I'm surprised they haven't already.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

My favorite part of the ideas is the second pedestrian bridge over the river. Making a loop on the river would be awesome.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Agreed "Heartland" from the name should go.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GetUrban wrote:I wish the UNL Architecture dept. would publish a booklet with all of the designs or at least create a webpage featuring them. I'm surprised they haven't already.
I was going to ask but forgot, sorry.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Coyote wrote:
GetUrban wrote:I wish the UNL Architecture dept. would publish a booklet with all of the designs or at least create a webpage featuring them. I'm surprised they haven't already.
I was going to ask but forgot, sorry.
I was going to go see the exhibit in person but was too lazy to go after work on Friday. :(