HDR Proposed Downtown Office

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Re: HDR

Post by MTO »

And OPA should be mad at those that raised such a ruckus about that |expletive| facade.
15-17, 26, 32
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

MTO wrote:And OPA should be mad at those that raised such a ruckus about that |expletive| facade.
But they (OPA) finally came to their senses and backed off. There's still hope for this city after all.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah, hope HDR enjoys their beautiful sprawling suburban campus and hope you enjoy that iron facade.
15-17, 26, 32
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The key point is we could have had it both ways. That is: HDR at 11th & Dodge with a creative, accommodating design, Holland expanding into the limited space that was available, and the Specht remaining intact. I'm glad we at least have the latter, since once it's gone, it's gone forever.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

People probably had the same arguments about the former WoW building and the SOB. Look how that went. To heck with OPAS. I'm happy we kept the historic buildings. I was afraid that HDR would find a reason to pull out and OPAS would demo the buildings and put another |expletive| parking garage there. That could have probably been the worst thing to happen development-wise in that sector of downtown. We don't need another damn parking garage within 2 blocks of 2 other garages.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

And the censor on this forum is |expletive| ridiculous.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

MTO wrote:Yeah, hope HDR enjoys their beautiful sprawling suburban campus and hope you enjoy that iron facade.
Ill make sure this happens. My facebook protesting is no match for any corporate giant.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Erik wrote:
MTO wrote:Yeah, hope HDR enjoys their beautiful sprawling suburban campus and hope you enjoy that iron facade.
Ill make sure this happens. My facebook protesting is no match for any corporate giant.
Realize I'm referring to you anti progressives collectively.
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

GetUrban wrote:The key point is we could have had it both ways. That is: HDR at 11th & Dodge with a creative, accommodating design, Holland expanding into the limited space that was available, and the Specht remaining intact. I'm glad we at least have the latter, since once it's gone, it's gone forever.
No you couldn't have had it both ways because it didn't happen, so apperantly that wasn't an option. But I'm glad you got your preciousness facade and parking lot on 11th and Dodge.
15-17, 26, 32
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

iamjacobm wrote:I hope they announce soon just so this thread can die honestly. The pissing contest is getting old.
The best thing I've read regarding this topic in at least a week...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

MTO wrote:
GetUrban wrote:The key point is we could have had it both ways. That is: HDR at 11th & Dodge with a creative, accommodating design, Holland expanding into the limited space that was available, and the Specht remaining intact. I'm glad we at least have the latter, since once it's gone, it's gone forever.
No you couldn't have had it both ways because it didn't happen, so apperantly that wasn't an option. But I'm glad you got your preciousness facade and parking lot on 11th and Dodge.
Clarification: It is not my parking lot. :lol: No point in repeating anything else again :deadhorse:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well it's not yours in the possessive but yours as in (partially) your fault.
15-17, 26, 32
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

:clap:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I hope they announce soon just so this thread can die honestly. The pissing contest is getting old.

Ciao..LiO...Peace
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

EastCB wrote::clap:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

The worst part? It spans multiple threads, even threads that have nothing to do with HDR, the OPA
No posts exist for this topic
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm not really waiting around for some announcement from them, nor do I hardly think about it, but I'm surprised there has been no word from HDR really said since the pull-out out of downtown. Strange. It was all "Headquarters! Downtown!" for a long while. Then, "HDR is pulling the plug on the downtown project!" chatter for awhile. Now, total silence for a long time.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

RockHarbor wrote:I'm not really waiting around for some announcement from them, nor do I hardly think about it, but I'm surprised there has been no word from HDR really said since the pull-out out of downtown. Strange. It was all "Headquarters! Downtown!" for a long while. Then, "HDR is pulling the plug on the downtown project!" chatter for awhile. Now, total silence for a long time.
Very unusual indeed. Perhaps they're going through a whole new design process with their new site as well? It's been incredibly slow, and I'm sure we all were expecting a mug fast turn around.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I know, and I heard plenty of people saying they wouldn't have pulled out without a plan B so I'd think it wouldn't take them very long to move on. I've more or less relegated HDR's future as another boring suburban campus so I can't be disappointed but maybe surprised.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

One rumor that sounds reasonable: if they were to be the major tenant at AV Zone 6 - BCBS built their HQ in AV with the guarantee they would be the tallest and most visible building in the area. There could be either negotiations on this promise or Noddle is putting together a new site plan for Zone 6.
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

Coyote wrote:One rumor that sounds reasonable: if they were to be the major tenant at AV Zone 6 - BCBS built their HQ in AV with the guarantee they would be the tallest and most visible building in the area. There could be either negotiations on this promise or Noddle is putting together a new site plan for Zone 6.
I've heard there was a traffic study completed on AV and the results were that there was no way the infrastructure could take on an additional 1,000-1,200 cars that would come along with HDR.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

For that reason alone, I am about 95% certain HDR won't go there unless serious street upgrades are done.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Short of widening Pacific and Center to 6 lanes, not much else could be done. Plus there arent't really many opportunities to increase flow within the Ak area, without ruining what makes it desirable In the first place.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

And the fact adding lanes does nothing for easing congestion.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

But remember, BP is moving from the SW corner of 60th & Center...

Two extra turn lanes........?
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

Coyote wrote:But remember, BP is moving from the SW corner of 60th & Center...

This does nothing to ease congestion unless they're all coming from the interstate. You'd have to expand 67th and 64th streets, in the middle of Aksarben Village. I'm still thinking it's Boys Town.
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

guest2017 wrote:

This does nothing to ease congestion unless they're all coming from the interstate. You'd have to expand 67th and 64th streets, in the middle of Aksarben Village. I'm still thinking it's Boys Town.
With Boys Town you push an already delayed timeline out an additional 6-12" for infrastructure right? I can't imagine that would go over very well although most people at HDR would be happy with the location.
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

stabone99 wrote:
guest2017 wrote:

With Boys Town you push an already delayed timeline out an additional 6-12" for infrastructure right? I can't imagine that would go over very well although most people at HDR would be happy with the location.
...they have an agreement for an extension, should they need it, at their current location with the Durham Foundation. They're also providing engineering services on the Boys Town site. When you're talking about moving to a new headquarters that is supposed to fit your company for another 40-50 years, a 6 month or one year extension to stay at your current location is insignificant.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I'm not sure about HDR and Boystown.. I keep hearing rumors that NFM will be joining Applied Underwriters in that 144th development area.. The next 6-12 months should be very interesting in the reveal dept...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

HDR is already 6 months behind plan basically and waiting on Boystown is an additional 12 months most likely. Between the urgent lack of space here and the parking disaster, I still don't see HDR waiting until sometime in 2020. The aggressive growth goals would have to be dialed back significantly. There just isn't space for the planned/expected growth over the next couple of years.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

stabone99 wrote:HDR is already 6 months behind plan basically and waiting on Boystown is an additional 12 months most likely. Between the urgent lack of space here and the parking disaster, I still don't see HDR waiting until sometime in 2020. The aggressive growth goals would have to be dialed back significantly. There just isn't space for the planned/expected growth over the next couple of years.
Well with a campus it is easier to phase in buildings.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

stabone99 wrote:HDR is already 6 months behind plan basically and waiting on Boystown is an additional 12 months most likely. Between the urgent lack of space here and the parking disaster, I still don't see HDR waiting until sometime in 2020. The aggressive growth goals would have to be dialed back significantly. There just isn't space for the planned/expected growth over the next couple of years.
Based on their growth over the last 10-15 years, it's hard to believe they'll be growing that much in the next few years, unless they plan to consolidate some of their other offices from elsewhere and move those people to Omaha. If that's the case, they can just leave the other offices intact until the new HQ space is ready. Or temporarily lease other blocks of space in Omaha. In the architecture/engineering business, there are some great advantages to have several satellite offices in other cities, especially in markets that are growing faster than Omaha.
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I'm not sure about HDR and Boystown.. I keep hearing rumors that NFM will be joining Applied Underwriters in that 144th development area.. The next 6-12 months should be very interesting in the reveal dept...
Interesting. Three years ago they spent $9 million on putting in a new HQ at their current site. http://kharch.com/?id=856
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I'm not sure about HDR and Boystown.. I keep hearing rumors that NFM will be joining Applied Underwriters in that 144th development area.. The next 6-12 months should be very interesting in the reveal dept...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
For a new store or headquarters?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

NFM bought an office building on the other side of the creek from the store for back office functions. The warehouse is state of the art and is connected to the store. I just can't believe they'd give all that up for a new store. I've got to believe that if anything they'd redo the current campus. On a logical level, what would they gain by moving? They have the market sown up. They face no real competition in Omaha. They own the campus free and clear. As one of the owners once said "Is the juice worth the squeeze?" In other words, why spend the money with such a small return?

Of course, I could be wrong....
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Friends-

What I've heard, is a whole new store and HQ's potentially at that Boystown site..

Just the rumor I've heard. Like I said previously in this thread, the next 6-12 months should be pretty telling in the reveal dept...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
cdu b

Post by cdu b »

I will be shocked if NFM moves but certainly if they scrap their entire warehouse. Thats going to be a huge investment to give up plus very expensive land for warehouse space.
I also will be surprised if HDR waits it out.

I have been surprised before, however!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Friends-

What I've heard, is a whole new store and HQ's potentially at that Boystown site..

Just the rumor I've heard. Like I said previously in this thread, the next 6-12 months should be pretty telling in the reveal dept...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I really wasn't doubting you. I've been wrong about them and many other things over the years.

It's kind of funny if they actually do move there. Mrs. B bought the farm northwest of 120th and Dodge decades ago with the idea of a west store. Now it's a Costco and other things. It was a pretty big acreage.

Hey, you never know.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Friends-

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I really wasn't doubting you. I've been wrong about them and many other things over the years.

It's kind of funny if they actually do move there. Mrs. B bought the farm northwest of 120th and Dodge decades ago with the idea of a west store. Now it's a Costco and other things. It was a pretty big acreage.

Hey, you never know.
Hey, no worries my friend. I know you weren't. 99% of these "rumors" don't come to fruition anyway..

It's that 1% which throws us all off kilter :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

As much as I'd like to discount the NFM to Boystown I just can't. I've heard from a couple sources they've been looking. I kept hearing they were waiting in the wings on the Crossroads property (maybe that's why the city felt comfortable giving a deadline to Yates). If Crossroads gets underway, I could see them looking at Boystown.

Greg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Lagistically Boystown would be more comfortable for NFM's traffic and their current property is perfect for dense residential.
15-17, 26, 32