HDR Proposed Downtown Office

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Joe Sovereign

Re: HDR

Post by Joe Sovereign »

NFM Dallas Store is the anchor of a huge and very high end multiuser development that is owned by and being developed by NFM. They have stated that this is their vision for future expansion. They said they saw all the money that was made by others off of developing the land around their KC store.

If NFM did move and I think something along I-80 makes much more sense than Boystown, it would only make sense financially if it was part of a massive new development owned by NFM. Then they could turn around and "Aksarben Village" their current campus.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Joe Sovereign wrote:NFM Dallas Store is the anchor of a huge and very high end multiuser development that is owned by and being developed by NFM. They have stated that this is their vision for future expansion. They said they saw all the money that was made by others off of developing the land around their KC store.

If NFM did move and I think something along I-80 makes much more sense than Boystown, it would only make sense financially if it was part of a massive new development owned by NFM. Then they could turn around and "Aksarben Village" their current campus.
When this first came up in this forum, I thought the newly announced development on I-80 at Hwy 370 made more sense for them but I certainly have no inside info or rumors.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Could all this NFM stuff be moved to the NFM thread on Rumor?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

hatwate wrote:Could all this NFM stuff be moved to the NFM thread on Rumor?
Sometimes it's kind of nice to have a thread where the topic can wander a bit, instead of pigeon-holing everything into so many separate narrowly-defined topics. Maybe it would be easier to rename this thread to something like "large-scale development rumors". Nothing against the HDR specific info, but part of the fun in the discussion is speculating where all of the big pieces might fall into place, and how they affect each other.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

GetUrban wrote:
hatwate wrote:Could all this NFM stuff be moved to the NFM thread on Rumor?
Sometimes it's kind of nice to have a thread where the topic can wander a bit, instead of pigeon-holing everything into so many separate narrowly-defined topics. Maybe it would be easier to rename this thread to something like "large-scale development rumors". Nothing against the HDR specific info, but part of the fun in the discussion is speculating where all of the big pieces might fall into place, and how they affect each other.
I understand but now there is one thread in Rumors labelled NFM then there is this stuff under HDR. If it was just a couple of comments no big deal but NFM seems to be taking over this forum.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Reality experts thought HDR would have announced by the end of April. We're almost at the end of May. I wonder if HDR has a location picked already.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The NFM Boystown rumor is already being talked about in the NFM rumors thread. The NFM rumor has been brought into this HDR rumor discussion in response to posts indicating a possible HDR to Boystown move..

I think as far as posting goes (at this time at least), we're good to go as is..but, as always, we appreciate the suggestion...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald:
HDR has declined numerous requests to update its relocation plan. The architectural and engineering giant has said little more than that it plans to remain in Omaha and hasn’t publicly talked about its next choice for a headquarters site.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

skinzfan23 wrote:From the World Herald:
HDR has declined numerous requests to update its relocation plan. The architectural and engineering giant has said little more than that it plans to remain in Omaha and hasn’t publicly talked about its next choice for a headquarters site.
I think they were quick to learn about making announcements too soon and are sitting on things until everything is formally, legally, and financially worked out.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

They put themselves in timeout.
15-17, 26, 32
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

RNcyanide wrote:
I think they were quick to learn about making announcements too soon and are sitting on things until everything is formally, legally, and financially worked out.
Asked my friend why they haven't said anything and he said they have a huge systems update or something that probably took precedence over building announcements. He said those should all be complete in the next week to two weeks and then look for some sort of announcement. He speculated that they have a site chosen and probably signed - "pre-construction work may already be done too, for all I know."
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

RNcyanide wrote: I think they were quick to learn about making announcements too soon and are sitting on things until everything is formally, legally, and financially worked out.
I am sure that is the case. Everyone keeps asking why they haven't made a decision yet, they probably have, but just don't want to release anything until is is completely final this time and all the details are wrapped up.
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

guest2017 wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
Asked my friend why they haven't said anything and he said they have a huge systems update or something that probably took precedence over building announcements. He said those should all be complete in the next week to two weeks and then look for some sort of announcement. He speculated that they have a site chosen and probably signed - "pre-construction work may already be done too, for all I know."
There is a total accounting and financial systems overhaul taking place this weekend. Go-Live is Monday. Production support is set for 3-4 weeks with the project continuing well into the next several months.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I'm still placing my bets on Aksarben.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Coyote wrote:I'm still placing my bets on Aksarben.
I'm placing my bets on Boys Town.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

What's the over-under on Antler View.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

And I'm still holding onto the faintest hope for Downtown...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

There is a total accounting and financial systems overhaul taking place this weekend. Go-Live is Monday. Production support is set for 3-4 weeks with the project continuing well into the next several months.

So....possibly an announcement in early to mid July?...C'mon library site!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

omahahawk wrote:

How could that possible happen, given their oft stated deadline for moving out of their present location? The library would have to be replaced with a new building first. I can't imagine that taking less than three years to complete. Then the existing library building would have to be replaced. Add another 2-3 years for that.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Didn't say it was likely...just a hope.
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

nativeomahan wrote:
omahahawk wrote:

How could that possible happen, given their oft stated deadline for moving out of their present location? The library would have to be replaced with a new building first. I can't imagine that taking less than three years to complete. Then the existing library building would have to be replaced. Add another 2-3 years for that.
Not necessarily. Minneapolis replaced its central, downtown "HQ" library about 10 years ago and demolished the existing structure and moved the collection to an interim location at Marquette Plaza for quite a while as the new library was being constructed. The point being it would not be unheard of to move the collection to a temporary, pre-existing space somewhere downtown...tear down the old library, build the new one (wherever that may be....current location, another development downtown, etc.) and then move the collection back. None of this would preclude other developments from moving forward.
"In Heaven there is no beer. That's why we drink it here." -Plato (Probably. No one is really sure.)
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Hawkeye wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
omahahawk wrote:

Not necessarily. Minneapolis replaced its central, downtown "HQ" library about 10 years ago and demolished the existing structure and moved the collection to an interim location at Marquette Plaza for quite a while as the new library was being constructed. The point being it would not be unheard of to move the collection to a temporary, pre-existing space somewhere downtown...tear down the old library, build the new one (wherever that may be....current location, another development downtown, etc.) and then move the collection back. None of this would preclude other developments from moving forward.
Put the library on the riverfront.
:D
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

If conagra starts selling off some of their buildings, it wouldn't be a bad temp location.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

Just came across this message board... very cool and great information. My impression from knowing and talking with some of the people directly involved, is that all HDR ever really wanted was to be in the "Omaha Money Shot." So, yes HDR will jump at the Library site. My understanding is that Kiewit really wants that site and would throw up a substantially larger building. So, where it goes from here... hard to say, but my guess would be one of those two. I would also say that the Library going to the Civic is extremely likely.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Catherine33 wrote:Just came across this message board... very cool and great information. My impression from knowing and talking with some of the people directly involved, is that all HDR ever really wanted was to be in the "Omaha Money Shot." So, yes HDR will jump at the Library site. My understanding is that Kiewit really wants that site and would throw up a substantially larger building. So, where it goes from here... hard to say, but my guess would be one of those two. I would also say that the Library going to the Civic is extremely likely.
That is a lot of positive info! Hopefully at least something comes to fruition.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Catherine33 wrote:Just came across this message board... very cool and great information. My impression from knowing and talking with some of the people directly involved, is that all HDR ever really wanted was to be in the "Omaha Money Shot." So, yes HDR will jump at the Library site. My understanding is that Kiewit really wants that site and would throw up a substantially larger building. So, where it goes from here... hard to say, but my guess would be one of those two. I would also say that the Library going to the Civic is extremely likely.
I love the idea of Kiewit and HDR competing for that lot. While we're at it, why not split the lot in 2 and have them compete to see which looks better side by side.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Dundeemaha wrote:
I love the idea of Kiewit and HDR competing for that lot. While we're at it, why not split the lot in 2 and have them compete to see which looks better side by side.
Or join forces in one tower.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Let them compete with the consolation prize the state building's block.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I keep saying there is still a pulse for HDR to locate Downtown.. The library site would give them the Omaha "Clique" or "Money shot" they're looking for..

Thanks for the imput Catherine33 and welcome to the forum :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Where does that leave Central Park Plaza? What business would want to occupy that space with a tower blocking the view?
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

MTO wrote:Let them compete with the consolation prize the state building's block.
Maybe they should compete for the state building site. Perhaps they could share the block?
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

Quit dreaming people.......even if the city decided to tear down the library building tomorrow, we would be looking at 2018 at the earliest that the site would be cleared and ready for any new development. Now i can definitely see Kiewit eventually being interested in that lot for a possible HQ move years down the road, but even that is purely speculation and my own wishful thinking. I would give the chances of HDR building on the library site at less than 5 percent.
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

I agree with Tornado that none of this will probably happen very quickly. My understanding is that the original deal with Tetrad taking
the Civic site was a hand shake deal with the city to relocate the library and HDR to anchor the site. The civic project stalled out when HDR pulled out and they've been looking for a new tenant at the civic ever since. I know Kiewit and others have told the mayor they are very interested in the library site and HDR has burned some bridges in how they've handled everything. I am pretty confident in saying that HDR has no idea what they plan to do right now. I think downtown for them is just as likely as it ever was.
SoCalCorey

Post by SoCalCorey »

One of my best friends from high school's....(shout out to Friend High School Class of '89) husband works for HDR and has for 20 years. I called her about this HDR relocation debacle and she told me that they are still very interested in staying downtown, that is their primary interest...however they are also considering Aksarben Village at this point. She was unsure as to when a final decision will be made.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

SoCalCorey wrote:One of my best friends from high school's....(shout out to Friend High School Class of '89) husband works for HDR and has for 20 years. I called her about this HDR relocation debacle and she told me that they are still very interested in staying downtown, that is their primary interest...however they are also considering Aksarben Village at this point. She was unsure as to when a final decision will be made.
Thanks for the Intel. I think the longer the wait for a decision/announcement, the better the chance a downtown location will be selected. Continuing the hope for HDR locating downtown...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Catherine33 wrote:I agree with Tornado that none of this will probably happen very quickly. My understanding is that the original deal with Tetrad taking
the Civic site was a hand shake deal with the city to relocate the library and HDR to anchor the site. The civic project stalled out when HDR pulled out and they've been looking for a new tenant at the civic ever since. I know Kiewit and others have told the mayor they are very interested in the library site and HDR has burned some bridges in how they've handled everything. I am pretty confident in saying that HDR has no idea what they plan to do right now. I think downtown for them is just as likely as it ever was.

So on top of the HDR farce we may be losing the high rise at the civic site?
15-17, 26, 32
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

Catherine33 wrote:I am pretty confident in saying that HDR has no idea what they plan to do right now. I think downtown for them is just as likely as it ever was.
This is not what I heard from my buddy that works there this weekend. Not sure if he's really in the know, but he was more confident that it's down to one site and would really be shocked if it wasn't that - and announced soon.
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

Catherine33 wrote:I know Kiewit and others have told the mayor they are very interested in the library site and HDR has burned some bridges in how they've handled everything.
They've burned bridges with the city but are still one of their primarily-used engineering firms and are also doing the site prep work at Boys Town? In my opinion, that means they haven't burned bridges - the city (and OWH) faulted OPA more so than HDR.
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

RNcyanide wrote:
Dundeemaha wrote:
Or join forces in one tower.
I think HDR did the engineering on the Kiewit building (they're in now) and had offices in it at one point.
WDale

Post by WDale »

Any chance HDR is looking at any sites in Sarpy County??