HDR Proposed Downtown Office

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

Re: HDR

Post by BRoss »

WDale wrote:Any chance HDR is looking at any sites in Sarpy County??
No, they've said they want to stay in Omaha.
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

To say that Methodist "kicked" them out isn't a fair statement. There were, something like, 3x's the number of Children's employees parking at NMH than Children's was paying for under their contract. There weren't enough spots left for NMH employees and NMC students to park at their own campus.
Joe_Sovereign wrote: Methodist has kicked a ton of Children's employees out of the Methodist parking garage and now they have to park down at NP Dodge. The Children's employees are not very happy about it. Apparently HDR already has workers parking down at Crossroads and shuttling back to their office. I would be surprised if we don't see some kind of new parking garage in this area to address the parking issues for the Hospitals and any new tenants in the HDR buildings.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
WDale wrote:Any chance HDR is looking at any sites in Sarpy County??
No, they've said they want to stay in Omaha.

I would imagine they would want to stay in Omaha. Long shot but sometimes when they say "Omaha" the mean the metro area, not necessarily city limits. I still think HDR ends up in West Omaha.

Greg
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Greg S wrote:Long shot but sometimes when they say "Omaha" the mean the metro area, not necessarily city limits.
I'm pretty sure in this case they do mean city proper.
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

Children's just bought the HDR land from Durham Foundation for $33.5 million. They will move in to the space by 2021 - HDR will be out by 2020, which means they now have a "hard date" to be out (the 2019 number was flexible with the HDR foundation being the owner / assuming they would look for a new tenant and not sell off the land). Children’s will use the buildings on the HDR campus for offices, for teaching space for resident doctors and med students, and for research.

They will also build a new building on the land they already own, up to 9 stories at 8200 Dodge St.

http://www.livewellnebraska.com/health/ ... f94de.html

Looking for an update from HDR in the next week or two.
Last edited by guest2017 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

This could help to still bring HDR downtown since they have more time and aren't on such an aggressive construction timetable.

Children’s Hospital gives HDR more time to move out
That timetable, in turn, provides the global engineering and architectural firm more wiggle room in its pursuit of a spot to construct a new corporate headquarters elsewhere in Omaha.

Azizkhan said this week that the hospital and its now-tenant, HDR, have formed a cordial relationship and that he intends to be flexible as HDR proceeds with its quest for a new home office.
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

skinzfan23 wrote:This could help to still bring HDR downtown since they have more time and aren't on such an aggressive construction timetable.

That timetable, in turn, provides the global engineering and architectural firm more wiggle room in its pursuit of a spot to construct a new corporate headquarters elsewhere in Omaha.

Azizkhan said this week that the hospital and its now-tenant, HDR, have formed a cordial relationship and that he intends to be flexible as HDR proceeds with its quest for a new home office.

They got a year extension on their lease. They're not moving downtown.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well HDR still has one friend...
15-17, 26, 32
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

skinzfan23 wrote:This could help to still bring HDR downtown since they have more time and aren't on such an aggressive construction timetable.

I think this would rule out Boystown and Crossroads due to timing...that is a quick timetable considering no announcement has been communicated. The downtown building had approximately 3 years from the time of the announcement to move in...here you're looking roughly 3.5 years out and no announcement yet.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

guest2017 wrote:

Everyone has a differing opinion on this.. But I don't think anyone can definitively say where HDR will or will not be locating their HQ's..

Unless someone is posting here and is also the CEO of HDR :;): ..

Call me an eternal optimist, but nothing in the W-H piece this morning gives any indication of "where" other than the agreement gives HDR more wiggle room from a time standpoint.. Which keeps me alive in the hope that a downtown HQ's is still possible...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
guest2017 wrote:

Everyone has a differing opinion on this.. But I don't think anyone can definitively say where HDR will or will not be locating their HQ's..

Call me an eternal optimist, but nothing in the W-H piece this morning gives any indication of "where" other than the agreement gives HDR more wiggle room from a time standpoint.. Which keeps me alive in the hope that a downtown HQ's is still possible...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I texted my friend that has been adamant they aren't moving downtown (he works there), he said an internally posted FAQ is why he believes they are not moving downtown. Here's what the FAQ says...

Which new site locations are being considered?
We are reassessing other Omaha site locations that were part of our initial site evaluation. These sites are not in downtown.

Aren’t there other downtown sites that would accommodate our needs?
No.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

guest2017 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
guest2017 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I texted my friend that has been adamant they aren't moving downtown (he works there), he said an internally posted FAQ is why he believes they are not moving downtown. Here's what the FAQ says...

We are reassessing other Omaha site locations that were part of our initial site evaluation. These sites are not in downtown.

No.

I appreciate the Intel. It could also just be a smokescreen too. Unless your friend has a vote or influence in the location decision making process..

Just sayin :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
guest2017 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
guest2017 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

No.

I appreciate the Intel. It could also just be a smokescreen too. Unless your friend has a vote or influence in the location decision making process..

Just sayin :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Seems unlikely that the CEO would blow smoke to employee-owners over something like that. I'd believe if there was a hint of going downtown, they wouldn't have adamantly said "we're not going downtown." It's one thing to cover up plans to the press - it would be another to downright lie to your employees.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

That persuades me that they will not relocate downtown. I'm thinking they also won't renovate to midtown crossing. My money is on Crossroads or Aksarben Village.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wonder if the new timeline will put the Civic Auditorium back in to play?
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

guest2017 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
guest2017 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

No.
That was posted months ago, the day that they announced we weren't building in the spot downtown. I personally wouldn't put much stock in that FAQ response. A week after that was posted online, the steering committee for HDR publicly stated they weren't ruling out downtown with the availability of the other locations.
jomfa
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jomfa »

bargainhunter wrote:To say that Methodist "kicked" them out isn't a fair statement. There were, something like, 3x's the number of Children's employees parking at NMH than Children's was paying for under their contract. There weren't enough spots left for NMH employees and NMC students to park at their own campus.
Joe_Sovereign wrote: Methodist has kicked a ton of Children's employees out of the Methodist parking garage and now they have to park down at NP Dodge. The Children's employees are not very happy about it. Apparently HDR already has workers parking down at Crossroads and shuttling back to their office. I would be surprised if we don't see some kind of new parking garage in this area to address the parking issues for the Hospitals and any new tenants in the HDR buildings.
There are plenty of Children's employees currently allowed to park in the lot in front of Methodist's 8601 offices.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

stabone99 wrote:
guest2017 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
guest2017 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

No.
That was posted months ago, the day that they announced we weren't building in the spot downtown. I personally wouldn't put much stock in that FAQ response. A week after that was posted online, the steering committee for HDR publicly stated they weren't ruling out downtown with the availability of the other locations.
There you go :thumb: ..

And again, there is still hope for Downtown...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Wonder if the new timeline will put the Civic Auditorium back in to play?
Interesting question to revisit Brad..

I think at this point, with HDR, anything may still be on the table...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Joe Sovereign

Post by Joe Sovereign »

Where is Lanoha in all this? As a developer anxious to build on a prime downtown lot they own but needing a major office tenant to begin. Wouldn't it seem likely that some kind of deal or joint project could be devised in order to work together. Does it seem likely that they wouldn't at least have some conversations about making some kind of deal?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Joe Sovereign wrote:Where is Lanoha in all this? As a developer anxious to build on a prime downtown lot they own but needing a major office tenant to begin. Wouldn't it seem likely that some kind of deal or joint project could be devised in order to work together. Does it seem likely that they wouldn't at least have some conversations about making some kind of deal?
It does seem strange that site wouldn't be more of a consideration, unless UP has their sights on it long-term. But they're more in a downsizing mode right now. Maybe residential is still the main use Lanoha sees for a high-rise there. I wish some action would happen on that site. It seems like some big chips are due to fall in place soon.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The Lanoha site is being designed by TACKArchitects. I don't an architecture and engineering firm would have another architecture firm design its headquarters
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

Post by Guest »

I wonder if part of the reason why they changed their plans was because everyone hated the rendering.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Guest wrote:I wonder if part of the reason why they changed their plans was because everyone hated the rendering.
I'm pretty certain they didn't give a flying |expletive| about what people thought of the design. It was understated, but a clean one. It most definitely has more to do with OPAS being a greedy killjoy.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

RNcyanide wrote:
Guest wrote:I wonder if part of the reason why they changed their plans was because everyone hated the rendering.
I'm pretty certain they didn't give a flying |expletive| about what people thought of the design. It was understated, but a clean one. It most definitely has more to do with OPAS being a greedy killjoy.
OPAS had to be with the ruckus made over the Scheisse building.
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

No they didn't. If they didn't have their heads pushed so far up their |expletive| they could see daylight, they would have put forth a better initial proposal for those buildings than another |expletive| parking garage, when there is a garage right across the street. If they had made their second proposal first, I don't think the community would have been as fired up over it and they probably would have gotten their way.

And this isn't considering the wounds ConAgra tore into when they announced they were leaving the city.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I was just kidding.
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

It's hard telling with you sometimes :D

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I know :P
15-17, 26, 32
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

RNcyanide wrote:No they didn't. If they didn't have their heads pushed so far up their |expletive| they could see daylight, they would have put forth a better initial proposal for those buildings than another |expletive| parking garage, when there is a garage right across the street. If they had made their second proposal first, I don't think the community would have been as fired up over it and they probably would have gotten their way.

And this isn't considering the wounds ConAgra tore into when they announced they were leaving the city.

Just when you accepted that ConAgra is leaving for Chicago after Omaha built it into the Fortune 500 empire it is today (a century of toiling by Omahans and the city itself bending over backwards for the company), the OWH keeps bringing up the move to refresh the hatred. Yeah, those 1200 jobs remaining in Omaha will slowly be weened down to nothing. Enron Part II.

Post by Guest »

I heard a reliable source say Aksarben, but not where you think it will be.
WDale

Post by WDale »

Don't count Sarpy County out. HDR is either serious, or using sites in Sarpy as leverage. There is a Lotta room near I 80 and Giles in Lavista and put Papillion available were HDR would fit
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Guest wrote:I heard a reliable source say Aksarben, but not where you think it will be.
There's a huge parking lot northeast of Aksarben Dr & Pine St.....maybe there? Or how about west of the Baxter Arena, on the west side of the creek?....or maybe even west of Stinson Park on the west side of the creek?

I'll bet they don't announce until they already have contractor's bids negotiated and are almost ready to break ground.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I work in for a large corporation in the Aksarben Village area and the possible location of an HDR world HQ's there would simply further congest an already congested commercial/residential area.. It never has made the best sense to me..

This, of course, is not to say they won't locate there.. But with multiple options downtown now and more wiggle room to get the location right, I'd put AK Village lower on my totem poll if I was George Little (CEO of HDR)..

But clearly, The Don is not him :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

I just received a text from a friend who may or may not work for ConAgra who said: "Now that we've announced that ConAgra is vacating those two buildings I can tell you that HDR is going to build on the site."
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

mr. omaha wrote:I just received a text from a friend who may or may not work for ConAgra who said: "Now that we've announced that ConAgra is vacating those two buildings I can tell you that HDR is going to build on the site."
That would be beyond awesome if true!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yippy another downtown suburban campus.
15-17, 26, 32
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Nothing says they would have to build something "suburban." I'd be happy if they demolished the two empty ConAgra buildings, re-established the grid, and built something with at least the massing and density of the former JC buildings. One can hope! ....and MTO, you'd finally get to see something get torn down. :yes:
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

GetUrban wrote:Nothing says they would have to build something "suburban." I'd be happy if they demolished the two empty ConAgra buildings, re-established the grid, and built something with at least the massing and density of the former JC buildings. One can hope!
Keep just one ugly, red ConAgra brick in honor of Mike Harper.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

mr. omaha wrote:
GetUrban wrote:Nothing says they would have to build something "suburban." I'd be happy if they demolished the two empty ConAgra buildings, re-established the grid, and built something with at least the massing and density of the former JC buildings. One can hope!
Keep just one ugly, red ConAgra brick in honor of Mike Harper.

Classic! If anything is ugly, it is those buildings. The epitome of "Plain Jane" architecture.