Omaha Panda Exhbit

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy

PotatoeEatsFish
Library Board

Omaha Panda Exhbit

Postby PotatoeEatsFish » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:44 am

The World Herald just did a story on the cancelled panda exhbit. I personally am glad that they didn't go through with it. Pandas cost a lot, I'm glad their using the money to update other areas of the zoo.
I got that Milf $

NEDodger
Library Board

Re: Omaha Panda Exhbit

Postby NEDodger » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:41 pm

Big surprise - the Chinese wanted to jack around and kill a deal that would have helped U.S. exports.

$55 million for ONE animal species? No thanks.

Uffda
Planning Board

Omaha Panda Exhbit

Postby Uffda » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:12 pm

Article in the Sunday paper

http://dataomaha.com/bigstory/story/106 ... -of-pandas

Panda pursuit is history
When Chinese tried to scuttle Nebraska trade deal in 2007, Omaha zoo abruptly ended its panda quest.

Omaha seemed so close to getting pandas.

A six-year pursuit between 2001 and 2007 put the Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium alone at the top of the list to receive a pair of giant pandas from China.
Everything was in place. An exhibit had been designed, planned for just east of the Lied Jungle, and about $55 million was committed by the zoo’s benefactors.

Chinese diplomats and scientists visited the zoo, Nebraska politicians visited China, money was sent to support giant pandas in the wild, and all kinds of concessions were made to keep Chinese panda power players appeased.

Then the deal fell apart...

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Postby bigredmed » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:12 am

Panda displays rarely are a long term profit center for zoos as the buzz wears off long before the investment is recouped. In this story, we see Omaha getting played by the Chinese. This was in the era of us getting played by BMW and Mercedes.

Fortunately, as new city leaders emerge, we seem to be losing the "Gee, won't it be great if X loves us?" and replacing it with "Gee, glad to see you come, we are willing to help you once the deal is signed".

Dumping the Pandas was the right call.

zippy
Home Owners Association

Postby zippy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:12 am

My recollection is that our zoo would have the ability and facilities to grow enough bamboo for a pair of pandas, but the lease agreement would have required them to purchase bamboo directly from China. Anyone else remember hearing something like that?

yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Postby yellowcolumbia » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:23 pm

zippy wrote:My recollection is that our zoo would have the ability and facilities to grow enough bamboo for a pair of pandas, but the lease agreement would have required them to purchase bamboo directly from China. Anyone else remember hearing something like that?

The WH article indicated that the plan at the time was to purchase bamboo grown in the south, Mississippi, I think.

Return to “Projects Never Built”