WallStreet Tower Omaha

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I didn't realize that DLR Group did the architecture for this (and Wallstreet Tower Dallas).

I had never seen any confirmation that the project would offer street level retail in the parking structure (south side/Dodge Street).

The DLR website shows a layout of the project that identifies retail entrances and "retail/restaurant at ground level".

http://www.dlrgroup.com/#/3.9.3/

I don't know if anyone else had already confirmed this, but this is excellent to see for sure.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

I've never seen that but I did know DLR group was involved in the design. I didn't see a date on that project layout and the design is still the old WST design so I wouldn't read too much in to that site. I was kind of hoping to have some kind of confirmation on the new plans and tower design as it is getting toward the end of August already.
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I didn't realize that DLR Group did the architecture for this (and Wallstreet Tower Dallas).

I had never seen any confirmation that the project would offer street level retail in the parking structure (south side/Dodge Street).

The DLR website shows a layout of the project that identifies retail entrances and "retail/restaurant at ground level".

http://www.dlrgroup.com/#/3.9.3/

I don't know if anyone else had already confirmed this, but this is excellent to see for sure.
Streets, from what I remember from talking with the guy from Townsend, it sounded like retail was never (and probably really isn't) a sure bet.  I kind of think the data center thing has taken over the retail space.  Bummer.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

They would put the data center on the ground level of the parking garage???

I thought the only thing that really changed was the size of the building and some of the uses within the tower. I was under the impression that everything else was remaining the same.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Who does this proposed data center belong to?  

The WallStreet Tower in Dallas looks hot!  So does DLR's Helene Curtis Tower.  How come architecture here always looks the same as everything else that has been built in the past?  It is a rhetorical question, don't even bother to answer.  Just venting momentarily.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

I really hope we see footing work this fall like previous posts have said. Even though it hasn't been too long since FNC and UP were finished, I'm getting bored with our skyline. I guess I'm impatient.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

ShawJ wrote:I really hope we see footing work this fall like previous posts have said. Even though it hasn't been too long since FNC and UP were finished, I'm getting bored with our skyline. I guess I'm impatient.
With any luck they'll get rolling on it and the hotel at Swanson next year.
Go Cubs Go
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

Unfortunately I heard something not so positive about this project tonight. I guess the developer is still having financing challenges so it doesn't look like anything is going to start anytime soon. From what I heard, the city is planning on filing a code violation against the developer for the hole in the ground. The city wants something done with the hole (i.e. filled in and grass planted) until the developer can get financing secured.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to an All About Omaha happy hour today at the Wall Street Tower show rooms.  There was a rep from Towsend there (scott?  steve?) and they announced to our group that they met their sales goals this week, and that they have secured letters of commitment from two financiers this week as well.  He said we can expect a ground breaking (or building, I suppose, since the dirt hole is definitely broken ground already) announcement within I think 60 days (90?  Ben?).

I chatted with him later and he said they're very much committed to the project and very excited about Omaha.  I asked him what other tenants he hoped to bring to the project and he talked about the data center thing for a while.  I asked him about the Hyatt Place and he said there's actually a Plan B that he hopes happens instead - full service with some meeting space, and a "better" brand, he said - which would probably take up more space.  Not sure if Hyatt would still come to the market if this falls through, but either way, sounds like it's going to happen.

Ben, what else do you remember?
OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!! What a difference a month makes huh..........................
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

If the Townsend folks gave any indication that this project was dying, any potential customers still interested would drop them like a hot coal.  Call that update from last month the death throes of a project; a last gasp effort to salvage the project and rekindle interest.

We'll know if they jumped the shark when they announce the partnership with Steve Minard to replace the other tower with a 30 story water slide and ferris wheel.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

From KMTV-3 last evening:
An Action Three News viewer urged us to investigate what he calls an "eyesore and a safety hazard".   We called developer Jason Townsend in Overland Park, Kansas numerous times and kept getting his voice mail.  Townsend did call back and said he hopes to finalize his construction loan in the next sixty days and is excited about the progress being made.  Our investigation dug deeper.  Omaha Economic Development Manager Ken Johnson says banks have tightened the purse strings on making loans for projects such as WallStreet Tower.  He says if Townsend is not able to start construction this fall, the city will order him to clean-up the site.
http://www.kmtv.com/global/story.asp?s=11103926

Still "sixty days" away apparently...   :roll:  :roll:  :roll:
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

Really interesting article in the World-Herald today about the city deadline to have Townsend clean up the block, and where the project stands as of now. Townsend said the project is still moving forward and a lender was in town last week for a few days and was impressed, said he hopes to hear back from the lender in a couple weeks. Also said he is to meet with the mayor in the near future. Townsend said they will do nothing more to the block than clean it up due to the fact it's a construction zone and engineers and architects need access to it. Overall it sounded like he really, really, is trying to get this tower constructed and that the city of Omaha is going to be very patient with him due to the economic conditions. We'll just have to wait and see.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Sigh...

I feel like Townsend would say this project is still "moving forward" even if it was completely canceled. I'm tired of hearing, "blah blah blah will happen a few weeks/months from now." I told myself I'm not going to get optimistic until I actually see something happen.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I am not sure I quite get all the Townsend bashing, but then I remember the eomahaforums of a year ago to be a lot more fun to participate in than it seems today.  Every thread has the same tone as this one.

I suspect Mr. Townsend is earnestly trying to make this project work, but I really can not imagine anyone having an easy go of getting a lendor to fund a speculative high rise project in this ecomonic climate.  Especially in a market like Omaha, where almost every condo project downtown still has units not sold, in some cases 2-3 years after the project is "completed".  Farnum 1600 has units available, The Brandeis has units available.  Beebe Runyan has a top floor still unsold.  1100 Jackson is not sold out.  There are still unsold units at SOMA.  The Kimball building has units available.  jLofts has units available.  I think there are still a couple of condos at Riverfront Place I still unoccupied.  902 Dodge sits almost empty.  But somehow, Townsend should have been able to easily obtain financing for a tower of condominiums??  If there is so much demand, why are existing condo projects not sold out?  Wouldn't demand be a contributing factor in being able to obtain a lendor?
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

OmahaChef wrote:I am not sure I quite get all the Townsend bashing, but then I remember the eomahaforums of a year ago to be a lot more fun to participate in than it seems today.  Every thread has the same tone as this one.

I suspect Mr. Townsend is earnestly trying to make this project work, but I really can not imagine anyone having an easy go of getting a lendor to fund a speculative high rise project in this ecomonic climate.  Especially in a market like Omaha, where almost every condo project downtown still has units not sold, in some cases 2-3 years after the project is "completed".  Farnum 1600 has units available, The Brandeis has units available.  Beebe Runyan has a top floor still unsold.  1100 Jackson is not sold out.  There are still unsold units at SOMA.  The Kimball building has units available.  jLofts has units available.  I think there are still a couple of condos at Riverfront Place I still unoccupied.  902 Dodge sits almost empty.  But somehow, Townsend should have been able to easily obtain financing for a tower of condominiums??  If there is so much demand, why are existing condo projects not sold out?  Wouldn't demand be a contributing factor in being able to obtain a lendor?
I'm not trying to bash Townsend. I'm sure he's trying his hardest to make this all work, and I appreciate that. I just get irritated with the constant "dates" that never happen. Or the figures about sales that weren't true. I'd rather just not hear anything about the project rather than hear dates or numbers that can't be backed up. Maybe that's common practice with these projects though, and a lot of it is probably due to my own impatience.
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

There were workers down at the site today.  They were moving some of the concrete barriers.  I'm assuming they are just doing some clean up work for the site.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

I think they are merely trying to reopen the sidewalks and maybe bulldoze the weeds.  Last week when the wind kicked up, some of them broke free and started blowing around inside the fencing.  If one of them had blown over the fence, nobody wants to see tumbleweeds blowing into the Old Market.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

The article was in the Sunday World-Herald, and I guess I don't even know if everything makes it to the website or not. One other thing I found interesting was that a member of the Omaha Chamber of Commerce, I believe, said he was very impressed with Townsends persistance and talked about all the unique options of financing that they are pursuing and trying to get accepted to get this thing constructed. Townsend also made a point to say they spent millions on demolition and are very devoted to Omaha and are going to make this happen. The cost of the new project was quoted as 190 million dollars.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I have the sunday paper here and it was an article/column by Michael Kelly. I can't find it online but they do have a couple that are about a week old so maybe it will make it up eventually.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Tornado wrote:The article was in the Sunday World-Herald, and I guess I don't even know if everything makes it to the website or not. One other thing I found interesting was that a member of the Omaha Chamber of Commerce, I believe, said he was very impressed with Townsends persistance and talked about all the unique options of financing that they are pursuing and trying to get accepted to get this thing constructed.
The member of the Chamber of Commerce quoted in the Sunday W-H article was none other than its Executive President David Brown..

PS-

Excellent post Chef..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

They moved all of the fences back and they were actually inside today moving some dirt around.  Probably cleaning up the area I'd guess.
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

stabone99 wrote:They moved all of the fences back and they were actually inside today moving some dirt around.  Probably cleaning up the area I'd guess.
yep...drove by it this morning from class... they've moved the barriers back to allow parking again and they have loaders and stuff inside the area so suppose they are cleaning up the area - hopefully getting going on this building
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I have much empathy for this man. I am sure he has as much passion to build this just as much as one of us city-geeks. I don’t blame him for anything other then trying, there is no way he could have seen this shitty economy coming. Even with all these delays and hurtles he still seams to be putting in a lot of effort. Until one of us can step in and do a better job then him quit your bitching.
15-17, 26, 32
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

michaelsjewel wrote:
stabone99 wrote:They moved all of the fences back and they were actually inside today moving some dirt around.  Probably cleaning up the area I'd guess.
yep...drove by it this morning from class... they've moved the barriers back to allow parking again and they have loaders and stuff inside the area so suppose they are cleaning up the area - hopefully getting going on this building
If they moved barriers to allow parking, I'd guess that's a good indication that work isn't going to be getting started soon.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ShawJ wrote:If they moved barriers to allow parking, I'd guess that's a good indication that work isn't going to be getting started soon.
No meters yet either! :shock:
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yes, sadly there's no way that they contract the fenced off area right before starting construction. :( This thing is gonna sit for a few months more at least, if it happens at all.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

yes!! Wall Street is moving forward! They even mentioned cleaning up the site for a ribbon cutting... lol, yeah that was sarcasm. Heres the story anyway...

http://www.ketv.com/money/21266934/detail.html

'"We're finalizing our due diligence with the construction lender," Townsend said.

He said he hopes to finish that process in the next 60 to 90 days and then the project should start to take shape. He said there was no specific groundbreaking date in mind.'

^where have I heard that before? Ok, we should probably stop busting their balls. I do understand these projects take time, patience, and often include many setbacks (especially these days)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Josh texted me and said there is a bulldozer on site.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

That's probably because the wall keeping Dodge Street from crashing into the hole has started to give way.  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jason Townsend is speaking at CREW this Friday:

http://www.crewmidwest.com/event-details.asp
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Sounds right.  They are packing dirt up against the Dodge Street side.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

9:00 a.m.  

RETHINK. RETOOL. RECOVER.: Redevelopment of Existing Real Estate Projects Examine how existing real estate projects have re-tooled & transformed to keep the project afloat.

Pamela Dingman, CEO - Engineering Design Consultants, LLC - Co-Chair
John Dineen Jr., AIA Omaha - HDR - Co-Chair

* Ed Fleming, Senior Vice President - Grubb & Ellis|Pacific Realty
   * Jason Townsend, Townsend Co. of Kansas City & the Wall Street Towers Development
   * Larry Foster - Director of Parks, Recreation, and Public Property - City of Council Bluffs, Iowa
So how to beat a dead horse with a project that has been dead for years?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Am definitely interested in what he has to say.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I place myself in the 'I can't wait to hear this one' camp.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Anyone catch the small tidbit in the money section of the paper? Nothing meaningful or anything we haven't already heard, but still shows that this project might only be 98% dead rather than 100% dead.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Developer: Deal in reach on tower

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100415/M ... h-on-tower
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The dirt work happening this week at downtown's WallStreet Tower site is not a sign that the long-awaited project is starting.

But the developer said Wednesday that behind-the-scenes work is proceeding.

Jason Townsend, president of developer Townsend Inc., said the project's prospective lender is in the final stages of its “due diligence” in evaluating the project. Townsend said he thinks the high-rise condominium, office and retail development is within 45 days of closing its financing deal, which would lead to construction.

“We believe we're quite literally to the end of the line,” he said.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Like I said, completion by the first pitch of the CWS.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I understand the winning construction bid went to Shirk Brothers Construction.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

At least 45 is a new number. Variety is the spice of life!
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Have to admire their perseverance.