WallStreet Tower Omaha

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Just a quick comment on the would have been WST.  Sitting in our third base line seats last night at TD really underscored how glad I am that the scaled down WST never got built.  That view really is better without it.  I was originally hoping they would at least put something there but now I am glad the compromise never worked out.  I hope the city waits for something worthy of that space.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

if this is ever going to get filled and made into a park, now would be the time.  It would be ideal if this could at the very least get filled, if not opened as  parkland by the CWS.  

While on the topic of big holes in the ground, I'm wondering why there hasn't been the same sort of uproar about the hole at 12th and Jackson, where that hotel was supposed to go.  That one is even more of an eyesore, as its right in the old market, where there's tons of pedestrian traffic.  

It would be nice if the city could grow some cojones, issue code violations, and make the owners/developers of these sites clean their acts up.  If you're not going to build something, at least don't make it look like a dump.
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

I propose new CVS pharmacies at both those locations. There are never enough CVS pharmacies. Preferably with a whole bunch of surface parking. I hate having to drive around looking for a place to park.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Fromaha wrote:I propose new CVS pharmacies at both those locations. There are never enough CVS pharmacies. Preferably with a whole bunch of surface parking. I hate having to drive around looking for a place to park.

There would have to be an existing landmark for CVS to tear down.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

nebport5 wrote:
Fromaha wrote:I propose new CVS pharmacies at both those locations. There are never enough CVS pharmacies. Preferably with a whole bunch of surface parking. I hate having to drive around looking for a place to park.

Yeah.  Like the "landmarks" big bad Creighton tore down on Cuming.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

joeglow wrote:
nebport5 wrote:

The Aero Rooms was the future home of my brothel, thank you very much.
Now what am I supposed to do with my life?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

justnick wrote:The Aero Rooms was the future home of my brothel, thank you very much.
You and I may have completely different tastes, but I do like some of your business ideas.  :)
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

justnick wrote:
joeglow wrote:
nebport5 wrote:

The Aero Rooms was the future home of my brothel, thank you very much.
You could always make a new thread for it in the projects never built.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Finally!

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110521/N ... get-filled
OWH Jeffrey Robb wrote:According to the City of Omaha, the work is due to finish by June 15. The series starts June 18 and runs through June 28 or 29.
Jason Townsend of Kansas City developer Townsend Inc. said the work has been delayed by rainy weather. After the site dries enough for workers to start, the work will take two weeks to finish, he said.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Good, now they con focus their attention to FIXING THE LIGHTS ON THE PED BRIDGE!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Oooo, I know!  How about putting up a pretty fence around the lawn as a place holder until there's a market for development.  On second thought there's already nowhere to park downtown, so maybe they should just pave over it instead.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Am actually surprised its not a parking lot to help pay for the removal of the old UP.
UrbanPlanner
New to the Neighborhood

Townsend / former Union Pacific Headquarters

Post by UrbanPlanner »

The first dump trucks just showed up to fill the hole.

I'm amazed Townsend is putting this kind of money into filling a hole when they have drastically cut back on the development plans for the site.  

http://omaha.com/article/20110521/NEWS01/705219842
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Since there filling it in now I wonder if they will eventually build he tower or if the city is just going try and take the land back for another devoloper article was rather vague as to what Townsend is going to do with the site once it is filled in
UrbanPlanner
New to the Neighborhood

Post by UrbanPlanner »

I've got to think it will sit vacant for at least a couple more years.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

What a bummer but I guess the vacant grass lot is better then another surface parking lot along Capital
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

UrbanPlanner wrote:I've got to think it will sit vacant for at least a couple more years.
Judging by the article you cited above, it doesn't indicate Townsend even has a vision for the property anymore, much less the capital to move forward with anything. The city appears to be doing its diligence for the process of getting the land back - however they need to.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

FYI, they started filling the hole yesterday.  Several dump truck loads of fill were brought in before the rain started.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Re: Townsend / former Union Pacific Headquarters

Post by HskrFanMike »

UrbanPlanner wrote:The first dump trucks just showed up to fill the hole.

I'm amazed Townsend is putting this kind of money into filling a hole when they have drastically cut back on the development plans for the site.  

http://omaha.com/article/20110521/NEWS01/705219842
They have no choice. What Townsend currently has is an eyesore and a hazard.  If Townsend didn't do it, then the city would do it and file liens on the property.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

The hole is being filled nicely. I know this picture doesn't provide too much perspective, but I would estimate the site needs 1-3 more feet of dirt throughout.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They probably could have left it empty and it would have filled next week with ground water and we would have had another lake downtown :;):
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

That is nice and all but I want to know who is driving the red truck that is parked on the yellow line!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

barricades / fencing are down.  Grading is up to street level.  Still a dirt top though.  I'd assume they'll be showing up with sod in the next couple of days.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Ben wrote:barricades / fencing are down.  Grading is up to street level.  Still a dirt top though.  I'd assume they'll be showing up with sod in the next couple of days.
You would be wrong.  Hay and seed.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

HskrFanMike wrote:
Ben wrote:barricades / fencing are down.  Grading is up to street level.  Still a dirt top though.  I'd assume they'll be showing up with sod in the next couple of days.
You would be wrong.  Hay and seed.
Guess I was wrong....  Not sure how they're getting away with this though, as I'm fairly sure that the mandate from the city was "park-like" conditions by the CWS (not sure where I read this, but I remember seeing it somewhere), and unless they've got some crazy miracle-grow working, its certainly not going to look park-like by Friday.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

And after closer inspection yesterday, I realized I don't see any seed.  Just hay.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That lot is still incredibly embarrassing for the city.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

iamjacobm wrote:That lot is still incredibly embarrassing for the city.
Yeah, but luckily not as embarrassing for visitors who don't know the entire tortured story.

On a sidebar, Chicago is getting their credit-crunch projects cleaned up: http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com ... tower.html

The "Chicago Spire" is still the "Chicago Hole" though.  I wonder what will ever happen to it.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Looked up a lot of the "Townsend Team" on LinkedIn last night.  One of them says he's out of work, a few more don't list Townsend as their employer, and a couple others list Townsend but their page seems to be dated.
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

I hadn't been down by this eyesore in a while. I guess the whole "park like" expectation has gone by the wayside. It appears that the city has given up on that idea. I couldn't believe how terrible it looked. Just a muddy weed covered mess. About the only thing it would be good for at this point would be a tractor pull. Woo hoo!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

I don't think the city has given up...the problem is that the property is owned by Townsend and they have rights as well.  That being said, there probably are some basic maintenance issues that are violations of city ordinance that the city could likely go after them with.  No sidewalks, some weeks now getting high, plus the erosion onto city streets whenever it rains.

This property is in direct view of a lot of important people, so I really doubt that the city has given up, even if Townsend seems to have.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Two "For Sale" signs were just installed by NP Dodge on the former UP property.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

HskrFanMike wrote:Two "For Sale" signs were just installed by NP Dodge on the former UP property.
I wonder how many people buy entire city blocks that they learn about from a sign on location?
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

WallStreet Tower site for sale

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111019/N ... e-for-sale

The best part of the story - "The developer owns the property free and clear and now can sell it as it sees fit. The city's development agreement with Townsend lacked any provision reverting ownership back to the city if the development didn't happen."
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

At least the article said there was a local group interested.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
HskrFanMike wrote:Two "For Sale" signs were just installed by NP Dodge on the former UP property.
I wonder how many people buy entire city blocks that they learn about from a sign on location?
Steve Minard has recognized this as a challenge and has accepted.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Fromaha wrote:WallStreet Tower site for sale

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111019/N ... e-for-sale

The best part of the story - "The developer owns the property free and clear and now can sell it as it sees fit. The city's development agreement with Townsend lacked any provision reverting ownership back to the city if the development didn't happen."
Brilliant. Don't think for one second Townsend didn't have an acquisition expert working this deal from the start. Well played.

Townsend - 1
City of Omaha - 0
city11
New to the Neighborhood

Post by city11 »

What exactly does it mean for a partner developer?  Does this mean the same project or a new one would be drawn up?
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Maybe Two towers....? Either that or a new combined tower is what I could see.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

city11 wrote:What exactly does it mean for a partner developer?
$$$$$