Giant Lake between Omaha/Lincoln

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

iamjacobm wrote:
S33 wrote:Moving the residents of Ashland is one thing, but good luck buying out the farmers.
I thought thats where the 2 billion dollar price tag came from.
1.5 B for the land and towns, 0.4 for the publically financed, but privately used amenities, and the rest for the dam.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

My prediction is we will see a Minard-backed amusement park within 100mi of Omaha before there's a "Lake Ashland".
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Lake Ashland could be used as a good way to temporarily retain locals who naively stick around and hope that onthere will one day be something |expletive| mildly entertaining to do around this town besides get wasted a a Royals game.... sorry, storm chasers.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

S33 wrote:Lake Ashland could be used as a good way to temporarily retain locals who naively stick around and hope that onthere will one day be something |expletive| mildly entertaining to do around this town besides get wasted a a Royals game.... sorry, storm chasers.
To me there seems to be a lot going on for me.  I don't know about you, but I have gone to countless events and concerts this year.  Maybe you need a major league team besides college sports or a mountain or an ocean to not be bored? Some people need a major league team besides college while others need a mountain or an ocean to have a good time in their life.  Other people like me are very diversified in taste which don't require any of the three.

One thing I have noticed with people in your very same arena S33 is how they just continuously complain about how bored they are, but they continue to stay.  Why stay here while you twiddle you thumbs thinking to yourself why can't you seem to find anything to do?  You seriously should go find a job in Florida, Texas, Nevada or California and really get you life together!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Erik wrote:
S33 wrote:Lake Ashland could be used as a good way to temporarily retain locals who naively stick around and hope that onthere will one day be something |expletive| mildly entertaining to do around this town besides get wasted a a Royals game.... sorry, storm chasers.
To me there seems to be a lot going on for me.  I don't know about you, but I have gone to countless events and concerts this year.  Maybe you need a major league team besides college sports or a mountain or an ocean to not be bored? Some people need a major league team besides college while others need a mountain or an ocean to have a good time in their life.  Other people like me are very diversified in taste which don't require any of the three.

One thing I have noticed with people in your very same arena S33 is how they just continuously complain about how bored they are, but they continue to stay.  Why stay here while you twiddle you thumbs thinking to yourself why can't you seem to find anything to do?  You seriously should go find a job in Florida, Texas, Nevada or California and really get you life together!
Concerts, restaurants and bars. Been there, done that - and yeah. It's nice every once in a while, but there are so many more things I enjoy doing that Omaha cannot provide.

As far as "getting my life together", who are you to say that? You know nothing about me. For what it's worth, I stick around Omaha for family, work, and girlfriend. Do I plan on being here until I retire? Heck no. But that sure doesn't mean I'm not in a position to point out that many Omahans are content only because they don't know any better. The others, well, they are content because Omaha serves their needs.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Have to disagree.  There is so much going on around Omaha lately that it's difficult to take it all in.  Maybe you need a hobby.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

HuskerDave wrote:
Have to disagree.  There is so much going on around Omaha lately that it's difficult to take it all in.  Maybe you need a hobby.
I play with model trains and crochet oven mits.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

S33 wrote:
HuskerDave wrote:
I play with model trains and crochet oven mits.
Try adding sweaters.   :popcorn:
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

All joking aside, you do realize that millions of people relocate because they may not be entirely enthused by the entertainment/landscape/climate/politics, and etc, of their respective city, right?

Believe me, I do get out and try to enjoy the farmers market, CWS, jazz on the green, events at the Qwest, including at least 6 Creighton games a year, getting blasted at Midtown Crossing with my Affliction T-shirt on (joke), and so on......

It bores me. The thought of winters make me cringe. The absence of any living organism during our winters is depressing. Not being able to boat on a lake larger than my neighbors swimming pool is annoying. Lack of pubic transportation or decent sports options. Do I go on?

That said, I do not completely dislike Omaha, but it most certainly bores me as it seems like I've done all these same activities for the last ten years like I'm in the |expletive| movie groundhog's day. I'm a restless person and wouldn't mind a change of scenery - where's the problem in that?
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

I agree.  This project would be a real shot in the arm for the area. Omaha can't import an ocean or mountains, but a mega-sized recreational lake that also provides hundreds of megawatts of hydro-electric power would be a win-win project----although I don't think it's gonna' happen.  The biggest gripe I read about Omaha from newcomers on various forums revolves around the lack of outdoorsy type stuff to do in the area.  I don't necessarily buy into the criticism, but it seems to be a common complaint out there.  This mega-lake would also provide us with the opportunity to invent a lake monster (the Linomanessie?) that would attract the likes of the Discovery Channel and the History Channel and millions of delusional tourists from all over the world (especially from the U.K.).  Think of the monster-tourism possibilities.  Brad could come up with some fuzzy photos of Linomanessie (analyzed by NASA forensics geeks), and the local news channels could interview hung-over witnesses.  We can DO this.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

ricko wrote:I agree.  This project would be a real shot in the arm for the area. Omaha can't import an ocean or mountains, but a mega-sized recreational lake that also provides hundreds of megawatts of hydro-electric power would be a win-win project----although I don't think it's gonna' happen.  The biggest gripe I read about Omaha from newcomers on various forums revolves around the lack of outdoorsy type stuff to do in the area.  I don't necessarily buy into the criticism, but it seems to be a common complaint out there.
Definitely agree that there is a paucity of outdoor things, but part of that is due to the lack of insight into using the natural resources we have effectively.   How many people boat in Mo?  A few, but if you don't have a big engine, you aren't going to be safe in that river.  Can we use the river some way that would allow more people to participate in river based outdoor activity?   We have a shotgun range, but how about a real shooting center like GI has?   Tons of people shoot, it would consume maybe 500 acres, and it would take very little to get it built.  We could do that.  The Platte and Elkhorn rivers are also sources of outdoor activity, but like the Mo, we don't use them well.  

Hiking trails that go endlessly in one direction, or don't connect to fun things, or spend
90% of their distance huddled along a polluted creek just are not enough.

A giant lake that consumed hundreds of square miles of prime farm ground, will require moving hundred of people, and re routing two transcontinental railroads just seems to be a bad use of resources when we could get just as big of a bang from simpler projects.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

S33 wrote:
Erik wrote:

Concerts, restaurants and bars. Been there, done that - and yeah. It's nice every once in a while, but there are so many more things I enjoy doing that Omaha cannot provide.

As far as "getting my life together", who are you to say that? You know nothing about me. For what it's worth, I stick around Omaha for family, work, and girlfriend. Do I plan on being here until I retire? Heck no. But that sure doesn't mean I'm not in a position to point out that many Omahans are content only because they don't know any better. The others, well, they are content because Omaha serves their needs.
:D  
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

HuskerDave wrote:

I moved to Omaha about 5 years ago... Prior to that I lived in Albuquerque and Denver. So far i have not been bored with the city, I feel there are many things to do. The one thing I truly do miss, is hiking in the mountains, but we can't have it all. I think the major factor is that I find people here very friendly and have a great group of friends that all enjoy various interests.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

I can't say that I've come down on one side or the other regarding this proposed lake.  I do think it's commendable that people are changing the paradigm, and thinking outside the box.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

S33 wrote:All joking aside, you do realize that millions of people relocate because they may not be entirely enthused by the entertainment/landscape/climate/politics, and etc, of their respective city, right?

Believe me, I do get out and try to enjoy the farmers market, CWS, jazz on the green, events at the Qwest, including at least 6 Creighton games a year, getting blasted at Midtown Crossing with my Affliction T-shirt on (joke), and so on......

It bores me. The thought of winters make me cringe. The absence of any living organism during our winters is depressing. Not being able to boat on a lake larger than my neighbors swimming pool is annoying. Lack of pubic transportation or decent sports options. Do I go on?

That said, I do not completely dislike Omaha, but it most certainly bores me as it seems like I've done all these same activities for the last ten years like I'm in the |expletive| movie groundhog's day. I'm a restless person and wouldn't mind a change of scenery - where's the problem in that?
Look, I get it.  There is something missing here for you.  But you did say that we are all naive for thinking that there is anything to do here.  I have moved away to other places and have chosen to come back for more than just economic reasons.  I would not have come back if Omaha didn't have a lot going on entertainment wise.  I cannot wait for you to move somewhere and realize exactly what we do have here in the O besides a top 3 standard of living.  You will see that Omaha is a thriving entertainment community that is only to continue to get better.  As a city we cannot focus on what is impossible to import, but to focus on what is possible like events, festivals and using the landscape to our advantage which can be a more important factor than having the ocean or mountain nearby.  Omaha does this well and continues to look for more opportunities.

I honestly get the fact that there are some people, like you S33, that have a real need to have one of those major land features to not be bored.  There will always be people that will have that 'must need' in order to have that internal satisfaction.  It is what it is.  But to say that Omaha is boring and its citizens are pretending that it isn't a boring place is going way over the top.  Some people are good with our landscape, some people don't give a damn about an ocean and some people like having a varying climate.  That too is what it is no matter how you convince yourself otherwise.

You are just a bad fit for Omaha and the state of Nebraska, but there are many who are a good fit.  There are people who are a bad fit for San Diego, but then there are many that are a good fit.  Neither Omaha nor San Diego are boring, but they do have contrasting landscapes, climates and culture which give different people a different place to belong.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Erik,
I'm going to build you a cute little booth you can set up at the airport. When new visitors arrive, they will stop and take your survey, and pending the results of the survey (your opinion), you can grant entry based upon your findings of who is or isn't a good fit for the city.

Think of it as your own little Ellis Island, but, instead of turning away people with disease, you can block those who think the Slowdown is lame.  :;):
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

S33 wrote:Erik,
I'm going to build you a cute little booth you can set up at the airport. When new visitors arrive, they will stop and take your survey, and pending the results of the survey (your opinion), you can grant entry based upon your findings of who is or isn't a good fit for the city.

Think of it as your own little Ellis Island, but, instead of turning away people with disease, you can block those who think the Slowdown is lame.  :;):
LOL.  Thanks! Sorry.  I am going through a very tense period where I had just finished school and will be leaving my company of 5 years as I had just landed a web-application development job.

I just don't like being told that I am not willing to admit my true boredom like as if I have this delusional disorder that is causing me to sacrifice all the good things that life has to offer to satisfy the nonsense in my head (okay a slight exaggeration of what you said).  My point is to explain that there are a very good number of people that enjoy this type of climate and many people and national publicists that are turning there heads as to the growing entertainment scene in Omaha.  The city is not even close to boring, but there may be some people that are into a lifestyle that involves things that we can never have like a mountain or an ocean.

Omaha is far from a boring city as it has an extensive play list for its citizens.  It's just lacking whatever it is that you like to do. Kapeesh?  :;):
The Impaler
New to the Neighborhood

Post by The Impaler »

Looks like the project was killed again:
The Legislature's Appropriation Committee killed a bill (LB808) Monday that would have funded an environmental study of a hydroelectric dam project on the Platte River near Interstate 80.
The bill, introduced by Omaha Sen. Scott Lautenbaugh, asked for $2 million to address the feasibility of the dam and the various recreation and tourism benefits of a lake in the Platte River valley.
Such an 80-acre lake would have flooded most of Ashland and thousands of acres of farmland in Saunders County.
The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Tuna, You got a member revival?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:"member" revival
Please don't pass up this softball.

Please please please please please please please.
Stable genius.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

The Impaler wrote:Looks like the project was killed again:
Such an 80-acre lake would have flooded most of Ashland and thousands of acres of farmland in Saunders County.
I'm trying to figure out how an 80 acre lake covers thousands of acres...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Seth wrote:
The Impaler wrote:Looks like the project was killed again:
I'm trying to figure out how an 80 acre lake covers thousands of acres...

Must be a typo.  Even if your dam was an invisible line one meter upstream for I80, the Platte is bigger than 80 acres between Ashland and the bridge.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

It was probably supposed to be 80,000 acres, so 125 sq miles.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Axel wrote:It was probably supposed to be 80,000 acres, so 125 sq miles.
Yeah, that's what I figured, I was just poking fun at the copy-editing in newspapers these days.