Giant Lake between Omaha/Lincoln

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It would help if I posted the article....

Committee Scuttles Lake
Unicam could still act

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/2266236.html
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

I would like to see the state do something along wetlands, praire type ecosystem along the river. Trails for horses, people and bikes. Maybe a smaller lake or two. Have a huge park area and also areas for condos, hotels etc....Just like the last proposal except more Nebraska natural. Everyone dams up rivers. Why not create a prairie and wetlands destination. I would be willing to be bet that if you sunk 1/2 as much as what they were planning on putting towards a dam they could make one seriously cool destination that not only people from around the country would come to but also from around the world. How many of these exist worldwide?? Maybe there are tons but how many are within minutes of a major city? Something like lake of the ozarks meets Okaboji, meets Venice meets the boundry waters. Thoughts anyone?
Calibraskan
Home Owners Association

Post by Calibraskan »

From the above wowt article:

"The proposal would dam the Platte River and create a major new lake that would wipe out what is now Ashland. The town would have to relocate.
People in the community say the relocation would include more than just moving their homes. It would also affect where their relatives have been laid to rest.
"The mortician in town did the numbers as to what it would take to move the cemetery just in town -- there's other," said Wiig. "Yeah, it's astronomical."

I suppose it IS a sensitive issue for those with buried relatives, but the cemetery relocation thing has to be one the least significant with respect to cost. :roll: :roll:

It seems like SOMEONE from Ashland surely would have recognized the potential benefits from this lake concept....They would be the envy of almost every town in the state!! The positive economic impact would be inconceivably enormous. Which is probably the biggest problem - They aren't seeing what they're 'giving up'. Who knows, with adjustments and the right levies, they may have been able to keep some, or most of the town right where it is.
They should be having 'bake sales' to help PAY for the study. Instead,
they've "saved" Ashland more from glory than destruction!!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Ashland Changes Town Motto
In a display of victory, Ashlanders voted to change the town motto to "Ashland: we hate change and money and are also highly suspicious of anything not associated with the Huskers!"
"I'm just glad this whole thing is over," Mr. Sullen said. "Now I can go back to purusing my passions: sitting on my porch and being an old curmudgeon."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It seems like SOMEONE from Ashland surely would have recognized the potential benefits from this lake concept....They would be the envy of almost every town in the state!!
You would think the younger generation might think that way, but apparently they are brainwashed by their parents (this comming from a guy in Omaha :wink: )
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

UHHHHH, I now hate Ashland. I think swift quoted it best. Old time small town folks hate change. I leave it at that. This is just typical, we should've spoken up on this, like going to Ashland and protest FOR the lake.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Nuff said :roll:
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

When I saw the picture of that woman with the "Don't Drown Our Town" sign I thought to myself, "Garrison Keiler has warned us about this woman."

Then I noticed the church is still above water in her picture. Creates an interesting juxtaposition that could be the start of a looooong debate.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

im glad this study was killed, i think there should be a large lake near omaha, but not in the proposed area. Wasnt there a lake proposed a bit south of the metro? I dont think these people are being "small minded" or they "dont like change", i bet just about all of you would not want your hometown flooded, no matter how small it was. This needs to be done in a place with less population, and less impact on the environment and utilities.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

omahastylee459 wrote:im glad this study was killed, i think there should be a large lake near omaha, but not in the proposed area. Wasnt there a lake proposed a bit south of the metro? I dont think these people are being "small minded" or they "dont like change", i bet just about all of you would not want your hometown flooded, no matter how small it was. This needs to be done in a place with less population, and less impact on the environment and utilities.
I'm getting conflicting suggestions here. You would like a lake near Omaha, but in a less populated area :?: This was the best location (populaton [half of Nebraskas population w/in 50 miles] and access [I-80] wise) in the state. I can speak for my self and say if that was my town, either I'd be gone already or welcome the lake. It's a darn shame.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

im not sending any conflicted messages adam, by "near omaha" i mean in the eastern part of the state. There are other places to make a lake around here that wont flood towns and cause so much damage to the existing environment and infrastructure. And you cant say that if it was your town you would welcome the lake. There are people who have lived there their whole lives, and that is their prerogative, and not one for us to judge them as "afraid of change". Unless you are from Ashland, or a similar small town, and are STILL living there, I dont think you have room to say that everything would be sunshine and daisies if this happened to you.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Well, for what it's worth... there's still the Branched Oak sized dam site 3 which the Papio NRD is proposing. This will go a long ways towards providing the metro with more water recreation.

adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Dam that's a lot of dams. However, I would rather have one huge lake. One question, "Can I take as many dam pictures as I want?" :lol:
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Good points stylee.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I doubt this is dead quite yet, but the money isn't going to come from the taxpayer's wallet (while fattening someone else's). If a private group wants to build the dam thing, let them pay for all the studies.

And watch them cry a river of tears when the proposal gets shot down on multiple fronts.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

I want this to happen so much.

If this happened I'd probably be so happy, why do people not think more forward on these types of things.

This could make the area famous! well...more known atleast.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

why do people not think more forward on these types of things.
Well there’s more to it but this IS Nebraska.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

pkiphd wrote:
If lincoln east to the Missouri River was a seperate state from western NE, we ould have a lot more!
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

This morning on Z92 Todd and Tyler were suggesting that every time you drive between Omaha and Lincoln you throw a rock in the Platte as you go over the bridge and over time the dam and lake will be built anyway. :D
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This morning on Z92 Todd and Tyler were suggesting that every time you drive between Omaha and Lincoln you throw a rock in the Platte as you go over the bridge and over time the dam and lake will be built anyway.
Thats a good idea, or may be a gravel train will overturn on the plat river birdge near linoma beach.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I wonder if this development was hoping for that giant lake

Premier development born on banks of an old gravel pit
ASHLAND, Neb. - High-priced summer lake homes, high-powered personal watercraft and bikini-clad sunbathers.

Sound like Florida?

Try rural Saunders County.

Four miles north of Ashland, about 20 homes are under construction near an old gravel and sand pit. Construction for another two dozen homes should start this summer.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=2135156

[/i]
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

bikini-clad sunbathers.
:P

I’m there!
That’s exactly why we need to build that superlake.
15-17, 26, 32
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

"I’m there!
That’s exactly why we need to build that superlake."

It all depends who's in the bikini. I still have images of certain individuals wearing tube tops to Valentinos in 1985. Not a pretty site!!!! A little history lesson for the youngins...tubes tops had been out of style at that time for many years.....That's never a good thing!!! I still have trouble with the fact that they are back in style again....only because I fear what will happen when they go out of style again.
WizardofNoz
New to the Neighborhood

Post by WizardofNoz »

ok,

what is the probability of this lake Ashland actually materializing?

Secondly, if it is allowed to happen, how long would it take to be completed, what is the year it would likely be completed?

What would this lake be named?

Where are we going to find 2 billion dollars, other than Mr. Buffett?

Thanks,
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

This project was once again killed before they could get money to study the enviromental effects the lake would have a while ago. This project is officially dead for the time being.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Brad wrote:
pkiphd wrote:
If lincoln east to the Missouri River was a seperate state from western NE, we ould have a lot more!
Yep, it's the people of Grand Island, Valentine and Ogallala who ultimately stunt development in Omaha. Riiiiiiight. :roll:
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm not sure that was his point.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I'm not sure that was his point.
His point was this. Visionary projects are torpedoed in Nebraska. Why? Because Nebraskans are not forward thinking people in general, but especially not the ones west of Lincoln.

{moderator edit: edsas resents and does not share this opinion ... the moderator doesn't either, but insists that the debate not be carried out here :) }
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Relax guys.

This project had little support from any region... east or west. The threat it posed to Lincoln's well field alone was sufficient to render it unfeasible.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

:lol: Nice summation of my counterpoint, Jeff.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Platte River dam debate renewed

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110821/N ... te-renewed
Paul Hammel WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:LINCOLN — Boating in the Ozarks this summer, State Sen. Scott Lautenbaugh of Omaha started wondering about how much money Nebraska was losing because of its shortage of large recreational lakes.

Eastern Nebraskans seeking big water need to drive to the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri or Lake Okoboji in northwest Iowa to water-ski, sail or fish.

Lautenbaugh concluded that it's time to reconsider a big but controversial idea — damming the Platte River between Omaha and Lincoln to create a 25-mile-long lake for recreation, flood control and hydropower.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I understand it would be very difficult to move people from their homes, but I think the idea of a large lake somewhere is a great idea.  To me it seems the area is missing three main things.  An big amusement park, public transportation and a large lake for boating.  It would be a great asset to the whole area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:I understand it would be very difficult to move people from their homes, but I think the idea of a large lake somewhere is a great idea.  To me it seems the area is missing three main things.  An big amusement park, public transportation and a large lake for boating.  It would be a great asset to the whole area.
I agree, and the Amusement park could be located on the lake.  I know it sucks to get rid of history, but for Ashland, this could be the ultimate "Sim City" to build the perfect resort town that could bring millions of dollars to your town every year!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:I understand it would be very difficult to move people from their homes, but I think the idea of a large lake somewhere is a great idea.  To me it seems the area is missing three main things.  An big amusement park, public transportation and a large lake for boating.  It would be a great asset to the whole area.
Agreed.  I realize this project is still a long shot and moving thousands would be a chore, but this lake would be a massive development for the Omaha-Lincoln area.

EDIT:  BTW there is a map of what the lake would look like on page 10 of this pdf.  I couldn't find one anywhere else.

http://www.ecospheres.com/ashland_workbook.pdf
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Maybe offer the people being displaced first shot at land on the lake before the speculators move in. Then if they want to sell to speculators they could
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

I'm all for it! Nebraska doesn't have mountains or the ocean...so we need something like this. Although, I'm going to be upset if they build it and it's only for rich people with boats. The lake would need to accommodate other water sports as well like: paddleboarding, kayaking, and parasailing.  Plus, it would be nice if it had long sandy beaches with a boardwalk/riverwalk concept. Unique shops all along the shoreline with plenty of trails. This would be cool IF it ever happens!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Moving the residents of Ashland is one thing, but good luck buying out the farmers.
Melissa
Home Owners Association

Post by Melissa »

The prices of farm land have skyrocketed over the past few years.  It would be wretchedly expensive to buy out all the land that would be flooded.
“Auditors are the people who show up after the battle and stab the wounded.”
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

S33 wrote:Moving the residents of Ashland is one thing, but good luck buying out the farmers.
I thought thats where the 2 billion dollar price tag came from.